News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Katona

Re: What’s the best par 5 you’ve played? Why?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
Not to be a wise-guy, but the 18th at Carnastie may deserve honorable mention, if not a participation trophy.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
Seriously, why isn't 18 at Pebble Beach on anyone's list? It's strategic. It's memorable. It's historically significant. And, it's in one of the most beautiful settings of any golf hole on earth.

Completely agree. Is PB #18 considered a dumb blonde? I hate the tree in the middle of the fairway -- I hate any tree in the middle of any fairway -- but that doesn't even diminish the hole all that much, in my opinion. For mortals, the drive is cheek-clenching, especially if you have any designs of getting home in two. The second shot presents some of the same challenges -- ocean left, OB right -- but adds distance judgement, assuming you're trying to lay up to a yardage. The approach over the front right bunker is more visual intimidation, but like all three shots, it can be played if you're competent and not overwhelmed about where you are and how this is your last chance to do something noteworthy. This hole immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title. If it's too obvious a choice, I can live with that.

It's a spectacular setting and maybe the best finisher....but if you remove the ocean, it's middle of the road at best.  It is 4th on my list....but that is for sentimental reasons (popped the question on the green post round).
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Erik Mosley

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
I second the vote for Cabot Cliffs #15, although Pebble Beach #6 is right there too.

Two holes that I haven't seen mentioned are #11 and #16 at Sawgrass.  Maybe not so much for tour players that bomb the ball and are great sand players (actually #9 might be a better "Tour" par-5), but for the rest of us, the strategy and shots required on those two holes can lead to anything from a 3 to an "x".  I could have played those holes over and over again.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
One of my favorite par-5s is No. 3 on Stonewall's North Course in Elverson, Pennsylvania.

This par-5 measures 496 / 470 / 465 / 420 yards. It's an uphill semi-blind drive with a downhill approach.

The tee shot offers a wide fairway as a target, but those who take on the fairway bunkers and successfully fly them get a shorter second shot (~15 yards) compared to those who drive towards the left side of the fairway.

The second shot offers a dramatic view down the hill to the green and provides the golfers a number of options. Those who choose to go for the green in two face a a difficult shot: the green runs away from the midpoint towards the right, and a couple of bunkers ~30 yards short of the green guard from a long run up shot, In other words, precision is needed. For those who play a little safer and choose to lay up (like myself) have a choice on how close to the green (and bunkers) to get, and how much slope they want in their setup for their third shot, as the fairway has a fair from left to right and a bit uphill towards the green too.

The green itself is fantastic. It's fun and challenging. A hit the green in two or three shots does not guarantee a two putt!

It's one my favorite par-5s and probably one of the most fun golf courses I have played. It's always a treat!

Joe Bausch's photo gallery of the hole can be viewed here (the first few images are from the yardage book and a Google aerial): http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/StonewallNorth/pages/page_17.html?

Michael George

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
I will try and throw a couple of new ones out there (apologize if already mentioned - did my best with quick review of thread):

Jasper Park #13 - a hidden green below a large ridge creates a ton of options with the 2nd and 3rd shots
Roaring Gap #16 - what a wonderfully fun 2nd shot and unique green for a par 5
Royal County Down #1 - best opening hole that I have ever played
Pacific Dunes - #18 - great par 5s have interesting 2nd shots and this 2nd shot still has my head spinning
Clear Creek Tahoe #13 - incredible setting with great contours in the last 100 yards
Ballyneal #16 - everyone talks about #8, but I think this is the best hole at Ballyneal.  Love 2nd shot through the dunes.

And one that no one talks about much on this site, but is just magical (especially the setting):  Ardglass #11 (great place that could be out of this world with money and a great renovation)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:13:06 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

CJames

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2019, 11:02:44 PM »
Prairie Dunes #17.  Particularly from the offset northeast tee box.  Unsurprisingly, a lot of similarities to Crystal Downs #8. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back