News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Re:Best and worst new public courses
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 06:03:06 AM »
Graham Marsh has done a pretty good job with Growling Frog Golf Course just north of Melbourne.

Green Fees $30AUD so the budget musn't have been too large. Also I think the local council was the major investor.

Also has a Marsh course just opened up in the states.  If so is it any good.

My opinion of Growling Frog would be that it is a very open layout.  Plenty of fairway to hit.  Also on many holes there is a preferred side of fairway.  A few interesting club choices off the tee (especially early in the round.

Very few tree left on the course but those that are still there a wonderful hundreds of yars old gums that have been used to frame holes or in at least one case make the golfer think (A risk/reward from the tee).

The greens were well packed suiting a ground game more than a target approach.  They also have enough movement to be testing enough.  Some quite small but a few on the large side (especially for public golf)

Maybe it's just a case of before you get a "name" publics are the only job you'll get.  So the next big thing is likely to have a few public courses on their early resume.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 07:16:05 AM »
Mr. Keller:  Thanks for that suggestion.  Actually, I have put up some of my own money, by deferring my fees on a couple of jobs; now if about a hundred people here would match me dollar-for-dollar, we'd have a public-course revolution on our hands!

Tom,

I think RG Keller was talking about writing a check. ;) I don't think he was talking about deferring fees on Barnbougle Dunes and others where there obviously was no budget for standard fees. Taking deferred fees on a project that, from a design perspective, had little chance of not gaining significant attention seems like a very smart business move on your part. Just like Rees Jones did at Bethpage. :o This additional attention allows Rees Jones and your organization to secure future jobs such as Sebonack which are well funded.

Now I realize that this may be the first and last time that you are compared to Rees here at GCA, but I was just trying to supply a little business perspective.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »
Growling Frog Golf Course just north of Melbourne.

That course name sounds like a perfect fit for Myrtle Beach.

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 09:43:12 AM »
We designed WolfCreek  www.wolfcreekgc.com in Atlanta a couple of years ago and it was built for 1.65 million.  IMHO it has done well.  It is only 5 miles from Atlanta International Airport.  Of course due to budget there are some blind shots etc but it makes money.  It might not make any list but it will survive for a long time.  Small clubhouse , smart owners and a very good supt are what makes it.

Mike,

I played Wolf Creek on vacation last April and enjoyed it thoroughly.  It was so good we went back for a second round before flying home.  Only a couple blind tee shots... but they were actually pretty fun.  Overall a great course.

Gary

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back