News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: Five best clubhouses
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

Now, as to some others noted, frankly, I've never understood why everybody goes ga-ga over the Shoreacres clubhouse.  There's nothing all that special about it architecturally, it's really no better appointed than any other nice clubhouse, and views like that are all over the place up and down the north shore (albeit, most of them costing high 7 or perhaps 8 figures).  Don't get me wrong.  It's damn nice, but it ain't top 5 or even top 20 in my book.

Agreed.  I didn't think that Chicago Golf was all the special either.  If I'm allowed to count the lodge at Pebble, I'd have to put that up there.

Sean_A

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »

Sean - Interesting choices, and very much in the "understated" camp. Swinley and Woking stand out not for the clubhouse as much as their verandas, IMO.

Tom - Excellent call on Old Head. Significant thought was put into making that clubhouse blend in well to the surrounds and provide extraordinary views to the patrons.

While the great gin palaces located on courses are wonderful, I prefer the charming, but not ostentatious house which serves its purpose gracefully and without great expense.  Hoylake is the one exception to this only because I think it fits the neighbourhood beautifully.

I should have mentioned Gullane.  That club has the right idea.  Its not among my top favourites but I have loads of time for its simplicity and directness to the job it fulfills.
Ciao  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:44:58 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
I'm kind of partial to this one...

with its Ryder Cup Bar...

Chuck Brown

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
In no order whatosever except as they occur to me (and sort of trying to avoid the mention of some others already listed):

1.  Milwaukee Country Club; like a little Merion, with a world-class locker room, a pro shop that is steps from the 10th tee and the 18th green.  Just about perfect in every comfortable, usable sense...

2.  Wawashkamo Golf Club (Mackinac Island, Michigan); this one is my favorite.  It is, quite literally, a clubhouse from about 1910.  It has 1910 wiring, it has 1910 magazines laying about.  But it is a model of simple beauty for another era of golf.  When you are done with your round, a horse-drawn carriage picks up you and your sticks.  See also, for most of the same reasons, Wequetonsing GC in Harbor Springs MI.

3.  Troon.  Of all of the famed courses of the Open rota, I think this one is my favorite.  Moreso than the R&A, which is like a mausoleum, moreso than Prestwick (which is really nice), moreso than Muirfield (which is so stuffy you'll feel like you need oxygen), moreso than Turnberry (which has fantastic facitlities for eating and drinking and sheltering but which isn't really a "clubhouse," and much moreso than Carnousite, where the muncipal 'clubhouse' has all the charm of Torrey Pines.

4.  There are two new clubhouses that I like very much.  They cannot compare, history-wise, to anything that we've mentioned here of course.  Both in Michigan -- at Arcadia Bluffs and at Shepher's Hollow.  If I were to commission a new clubhouse on vacant land next year, and there was an actual construction budget (thereby preventing the buidling of another Winged Foot, or Newport, or even a Sebonack or Bridge), those are two designs that I'd ask the architects to look at.  Really pleasant, functional, attractive work.

5.  For my last choice I think I'll add Oakmont, just because I always liked the concept.  Big and rambly, with overnight rooms, and with the pro shop given its own space in a separate building.  Like everything else about Oakmont, it is a kind of a perfect prototype, but done in its own way.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
In no order whatosever except as they occur to me (and sort of trying to avoid the mention of some others already listed):

3.  Troon.  Of all of the famed courses of the Open rota, I think this one is my favorite.  Moreso than the R&A, which is like a mausoleum, moreso than Prestwick (which is really nice), moreso than Muirfield (which is so stuffy you'll feel like you need oxygen), moreso than Turnberry (which has fantastic facitlities for eating and drinking and sheltering but which isn't really a "clubhouse," and much moreso than Carnousite, where the muncipal 'clubhouse' has all the charm of Torrey Pines.

Chuck,

Have you ever been in the R&A Clubhouse?

Bob

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »

1.  Milwaukee Country Club; like a little Merion, with a world-class locker room, a pro shop that is steps from the 10th tee and the 18th green.  Just about perfect in every comfortable, usable sense...

2.  Wawashkamo Golf Club (Mackinac Island, Michigan); this one is my favorite.  It is, quite literally, a clubhouse from about 1910.  It has 1910 wiring, it has 1910 magazines laying about.  But it is a model of simple beauty for another era of golf.  When you are done with your round, a horse-drawn carriage picks up you and your sticks.  See also, for most of the same reasons, Wequetonsing GC in Harbor Springs MI.

4.  There are two new clubhouses that I like very much.  They cannot compare, history-wise, to anything that we've mentioned here of course.  Both in Michigan -- at Arcadia Bluffs and at Shepher's Hollow.  If I were to commission a new clubhouse on vacant land next year, and there was an actual construction budget (thereby preventing the buidling of another Winged Foot, or Newport, or even a Sebonack or Bridge), those are two designs that I'd ask the architects to look at.  Really pleasant, functional, attractive work.

5.  For my last choice I think I'll add Oakmont, just because I always liked the concept.  Big and rambly, with overnight rooms, and with the pro shop given its own space in a separate building.  Like everything else about Oakmont, it is a kind of a perfect prototype, but done in its own way.

Chuck

Your are right, Shepherds Hollow's house is done well, if a bit corporate in its style which seems hard to avoid in new builds.

I really like Tobacco Road's except they let the pro spread his clothes over what should be the lounge.  Its like hanging around laundry or something - very uncool.  Also, every house should have a proper changing area and a few showers - even if its small. 

There is one other house which I forgot about and it is very good - Wildwood Green in Raleigh.  Simple proshop, eating area and lockeroom plus a bit of outdoor seating. Its all that is needed.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:08:03 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2009, 02:19:27 AM »
In the sand belt in melbourne Yarra Yarra is beautiful, heritage listed and a wonderful place to take guests. New visitors to the club come up the drive the reach a corner where the club house comes into view and it takes their breath away.

www.yarrayarra.com.au

Royal Melbourne was rebuilt a number of years ago and it is stunning, 2 storey with viewing over the course from the top level. The slate for the roof was "purchased" from a church in country victoria, as in off their roof.

In the US

The Valley Club
Winged Foot
NGLA

In Europe
Royal Zoute - simply stunning building
Morfontaine - no better place than the terrace for lunch

In the UK
North Berwick West - They opened the club house on a day it was shut for 8 of us to have dinner in the dining room, outstanding
RSG

Barwon Heads - you stay in the club house and you get run of the place, playing pool all night and using an honesty box, great memories and sore heads! ;)

James Bennett

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
I agree with many posted here - R&A, CPC, Valley Club, Royal Sydney, North Berwick West.  Some of these are smaller clubhouses, and so really get my vote.  Others are just 'magnificent' a ka Royal Sydney.

One clubhouse that I am surprised hasn't been mentioned yet - Riviera.

And, the clubhouse least in keeping with the course - Painswick. The left-handed clock inside the clubhouse suits the course. The clubhouse is utilitarian rather than funky or historic, which would be a better fit.  Perhaps the original clubhouse behind #8 green better fits the course.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Sandy Smith

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
I think the clubhouse at Capilano is very hard to beat . The views alone of Vancouver and the North Shore mountains make it a true classic . They also have a great men's lounge in the back of the locker room .
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »

Chuck,

Bob
Yes, but I have to confess -- it was in 1979.  It is of course a magnificent, historic place.  Just not the kind of place that struck me as being comfortable for having a drink or three or four after playing.  Do you wish to correct me on this?  I'd actually like to hear about it.

George Freeman

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs - surprised no one has mentioned this one...Hard to beat the view from their back porch at sunset
Forest Dunes
Ocean Course
Oakmont
Indianwood CC
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Steve Sayre

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
A vote for Stock Farm with the views of the Bitterroots, and filled with Western art to rival a small museum.  And Royal Aberdeen.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
1.  Leopard Creek in South Africa has an AMAZING clubhouse...certainly one of, if not, the best I have seen...

Bart

Don't have a picture of the view from Leopard Creek's clubhouse but have one of the thirteenth which will give an idea of the view from the clubhouse

1. I've never been to the Valley Club but unless that place is full of burnt orange shag carpeting and nasty velour wallpaper, that's gotta be in the top 5 in the world.  It's absolutely breathtaking.

The best thing about the clubhouse at the Valley Club maybe the cabins behind the practise ground, the idea of a few shots before breakfast is very appealing and that's saying not anything about a drink while the sun is sinking on the horizon.

The clubhouse at Doonbeg is great as well, but before this was completed they used a cottage with a couple of small locker rooms, and one slightly bigger room with the bar and coffee shop at one end and the pro shop at the other end. It was extremely cozy.

Of course, it's hard to beat the view from this one!!!

Although not the main clubhouse, the proshop/coffee shop at Crystal Downs is great as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »
Park Club in Williamsville, NY and Penn Hills Club, in Bradford, PA, have clubhouses designed by Clifford Wendehack, of Winged Foot fame.  I'd put those three at the top of my list.

http://www.parkclub.org/

http://www.pennhillsclub.com/
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Chechessee Creek has the best club house for my taste.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:06:15 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
Penn Hills Club, in Bradford, PA

They have the working drawings for the clubhouse in the club.

BTW that clubhouse was designed for the Park CC - but it was too small - so he built the design at Penn Hills.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
Five Best I Have Seen….

Indian Creek has truly stunning architecture and the courtyard is brilliant.
Winged Foot has spectacular doorways and spaces along with some outstanding stone work
Capilano is perfect from placement to the character and the men's lounge has no rival in golf.
Delemere Forest is modest with a beautiful Tudor facade and absolutely blends into the surrounding countryside
For new … Devil’s Paintbrush – it’s a thatched roof pub!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:50:28 PM by Ian Andrew »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
Wendehack's clubhouses, Mountain Ridge, North Jersey and Winged Foot are pretty neat.

Atlantic's, Metedeconk's and Tuxedo's which I believe were designed by the same fellow.

The Creek is pretty neat.

Kittansett's was a real throwback.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »

Chuck,

Bob
Yes, but I have to confess -- it was in 1979.  It is of course a magnificent, historic place.  Just not the kind of place that struck me as being comfortable for having a drink or three or four after playing.  Do you wish to correct me on this?  I'd actually like to hear about it.

Chuck,

I am not saying that the R&A Clubhouse has the charm of the Valley Club or Cypress Point, but I can say that to sit in the Big Room with a gin and tonic in hand is one of life's geat pleasures.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
Five Best I Have Seen….

Indian Creek has truly stunning architecture and the courtyard is brilliant.
Winged Foot has spectacular doorways and spaces along with some outstanding stone work
Capilano is perfect from placement to the character and the men's lounge has no rival in golf.
Delemere Forest is modest with a beautiful Tudor facade and absolutely blends into the surrounding countryside
For new … Devil’s Paintbrush – it’s a thatched roof pub!

Great call, Ian, I really liked that little clubhouse.  It's the perfect size, the drying room came in handy, and it had that perfect touch of genteel shabby.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »

Chuck,

Bob

Chuck,

I am not saying that the R&A Clubhouse has the charm of the Valley Club or Cypress Point, but I can say that to sit in the Big Room with a gin and tonic in hand is one of life's geat pleasures.

Bob

And all you have to do is push the button by the fireplace!

Gary Daughters

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

One of my favorites:  the local hangout!

At sunset:

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

jonathan_becker

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
The five best I've stepped foot into in alphabetical order

Inverness
Merion
Oakmont
TCCPP
The Golf Club

Honorable mentions - Oakland Hills, Firestone, The Dunes Club

Sam Morrow

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
I liked the clubhouse at Castle Pines, the clubhouse at Shadow Hawk is very good, it's more understated than most but very functional. Then for honorable mention of clubhouses that aren't fancy but a little more old school I would say Great Southwest in Grand Praire. I like that entire place, if I lived in the Metroplex I would join the place in a heartbeat.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
A few of my favourites....

Port Royal, SC

Firestone, OH

Gaillardia, OK

Monte Rei, Portugal

Abu Dhabi GC, Abu Dhabi.

Taboo, Canada

Bradshaw Farms, GA

Hunter Ranch, CA

The Montgomery, Dubai

Palm Valley, CA

Ballyliffin, Ireland

Ardglass, N.Ireland

Tha Vintage, CA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back