News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Re: Best Nine Hole Courses/Clubs
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
Sweeten's Cove in TN was a really good 9 hole course.  Excellent use of a valley (or hollar) with many different tee opportunities to keep repeating rounds fresh and fun.

Bill,

Sweeten's has numerous threads dedicated to it and is definitely one of the best 9-hole course anywhere. I would be shocked if it wasn't already mentioned here but if not, certainly a good call. Sewanee as well.

Cheers

CJames

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »
When I first saw the Dunes Club in 2003, I knew virtually nothing about GCA.  However, the vibe and spirit of the place immediately resonated -- particularly the 'create your own 18' aspect.  Shortly thereafter, I was fortunate to be admitted for membership by Mr. Keiser and, having studied up a bit on nine hole courses including reading Mr. Pioppi's To the Nines, I've really grown to appreciate the 'genre.'  I think for families or parents with young children, nine hole courses can be wonderful.  And in resort or summer vacation areas (such as the a Dunes) they can better accommodate busy schedules.  Aetna Springs and Culver (with Jason W. and Peter K.) are on my near-term checklist, but, regrettably, Mildenhall, Whitinsville, and Sweetens Cove appear likely to elude me.  Moreover, from just this thread alone I have learned of many heretofore-unknown-to-me nine holers that I'd now love to play.  Thanks to all who've contributed their thoughts! 

MCirba

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Certainly not among the "Best" nine hole courses, but an enjoyable and historically significant one is what is today known as "Scotch Plains (NJ) Country Club.

It was designed in 1901 by John Forman of Musselburgh, and served as the Westfield Golf Club until the early 1920s when club members opted to move because African Americans were moving into that neighborhood in a closely contested membership vote.   The club/course was purchased by a group of African-American real estate entrepreneurs and became the first such owned country club in the United States, known as "Shady Rest".   

The club was a mecca for African Americans for a number of decades and over time the club dissolved and it was purchased by the township, and has served as a municipal course since.   

It's not a long course, but it has some of the wildest greens I've ever seen.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jason Way

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
Thanks for additions fellas.  The list has been updated.  Keep em coming and I will keep building it out. 

I'm also going to go digging on here for links to photo tours of these 9-holers.  I know that there have been some good ones.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Sean_A

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2016, 03:48:50 AM »

Not having had a great deal of experience with 9 holers, here are two more courses that are good...don't know about best. That said, I would highly recommend The Channel.  Its good and cheap. 

Rye Jubilee
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53083.msg1219320.html#msg1219320

Burnham & Berrow Channel
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62038.msg1473736.html#msg1473736

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2016, 06:58:03 AM »
A whole bunch of fine places mentioned so far.

These thread might provide some additional one's - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61557.0.html
&
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56120.msg1302181.html#msg1302181

Comments on other currents got me thinking of a possible tour of 9-hole courses in the west and north of Ireland.

How about Connemara Links, the 9-holer at Connemara GC, Mulranny, Achilll, Doohoma (look it up!), Kilmore at Carne, Scurmore at Enniscrone, Bomore at County Sligo, Gweedore, Cruit Island, Coastguard at Rosapenna, Otway, Buncrana, Bann at Castlerock. I believe there may be a couple near Portrush., not sure of their names though. Any I've missed?

Atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »
I think that Frank Pennink's original 9 holes for the Rye Jubilee Course of 1977 have now been remodelled into twelve holes, over two loops of nine? Which could of course put it into contention with Shiskine (Blackwaterfoot) in the even more rarified 'Best Twelve Hole Course' category.
Incidentally, for those who have seen the excellent BBC adaptation of Parade's End with Benedict Cumberbatch, the Rye golf scenes were largely filmed on the Jubilee Course.

MCirba

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
Just as an exercise to see if it provides any insight, I went back across the 1,040 courses I've played to date and came across the following;

94 were 9 holes courses, or just over 9%

Of those, 12 were adjunct or overflow courses of a larger 18 or more hole(s) course.

Of those, 17 were of par 30 or less, indicating primarily par three courses.

In total based on my most recent audit 12 courses are NLE.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
The Great Dunes course at Jekyll Island, GA is a Walter Travis 9-holer.  $10 to walk and carry.  Some fantastic holes including the magnificent par-5 fifth, with a classic Mae West approach to a green set in the saddle of two big dunes.  That green and the next hole, a beautiful one-shotter provide view of the Atlantic to boot.

The course needs a little TLC and a serious greens reclamation project, but it is worth five times the $10!

I've got photos somewhere that I'll try to dig up.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
Jason,

Sometime in the last year or 2 I started working on mapping all of the nine hole courses in the states I could find. After nearly 500 courses and only a quarter of the country complete I slowed up a bit. If you, or anyone, wants to add some more courses to the map, please be my guest.

Nine Holes Courses of America

Rich Goodale

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
Auchterderran.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom Walsh

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
2 nine holers in St. Louis that I like. Ruth Park Municipal (R Foulis 1931) and Highlands in Forest Park formerly Triple A Club (R Foulis 1902? and Hale Irwin 2006~)
"vado pro vexillum!"

Jason Way

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the continued contributions fellas.  The list in Reply#84 has been updated, with links to additional sources from Thomas Dai and Ben Hollerbach added.

I got out to Eagle Springs yesterday.  A few photos to come shortly...
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Greg Hohman

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
Balboa Park 9 (municipal), San Diego CA. It’s beside Balboa Park 18. 
Frosty Valley Golf Links, Upper St. Clair PA
Mt. Lebanon (municipal), Mt. Lebanon PA.

From the latter's website:

Mt. Lebanon's proud tradition of golf dates back to July 4, 1907, when a group of 30 men founded the Castle Shannon Golf Club on a 100-acre farm and persisted with the sport despite having to dodge moving targets, such as cows and horses.

There were no tees or greens; still 30 golfers soon had joined, each paying $5 dues per year and bringing along scythes and lawn mowers to keep the course in playable condition. By 1918, there were 100 members, some rudimentary tees and greens and even a groundskeeper. That original club eventually disbanded, was reorganized, and in the '20s, '30s and '40s was one of the most popular 9-hole courses in the Pittsburgh area.

Among the club's elite members were the financiers Andrew W., and Richard King Mellon, who reportedly rode the trolley to the end of the Castle Shannon line and were transported by horse-drawn carriage to the golf course. Mt. Lebanon purchased the private course in 1947 and reconfigured several holes located in the adjacent Castle Shannon Borough so that the entire course now lies within the boundaries of Mt. Lebanon.

newmonumentsgc.com

Jason Way

« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
Thanks to Rees Milikin for turning me on to this Eagle Springs Golf Resort.  For those of you who are headed up from Chicago to Whistling Straights, Sand Valley, Lawsonia, or the US Open at Erin Hills, I can't recommend this place enough for a quick stop.  Driving in to the property is like going back in time, and the course itself is filled with pre-1900 quirk. 

The first has a crazy uphill blind drive followed by an approach into a cool green that wraps around a large mound in front.

The second is Eagles Spring's volcano hole par-3.  There is an alternate #2 for those who are not physically able to make the climb (which is a legit concern).

The ho hum third is followed by another really cool hole.  The 4th is a par-4 that plays uphill over a ridge and then down and left to a green that is fronted by a large hump.  Left of the green is a deep fall-off.

The fifth is a par-4 that heads back downhill to a green set just over a creek at the low point of the property, with the third green immediately behind.

The sixth turns and heads right back up the hill.  The fairway is a cool-looking "v" shape, and the green is fronted by quirky bunkers and backed by a horseshoe bunker and mounds.

The seventh is a pretty little downhill par-3 with a wild green.  I love the look of the dual staircases behind the green.

The 8th is a simple par-5 with a blind drive between two oaks, and a green set down in a low bowl.  The ninth is a cape-style par-4 dogleg left to a small green tucked way back in a corner of the property directly above the clubhouse.  None of my pictures of those holes made the final cut, but they were fun to play. 

In 1893, when this course was built, golf was brand new in the U.S.  I like to imagine visitors to the resort being sent out for their first experience with this strange game.  Must have been mind-blowing at so many levels.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2016, 05:36:21 AM »
Splendid Jason. Shows what's out there if you're prepared to look hard enough or someone like Rees mentions it to you. That's some volcano hole and both the 1st and 4th look pretty interesting as well.
Atb

Parker Page

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Cape Ann Golf Course in Essex, MA yet? Some pretty mundane holes, but there are at least two world class holes in the nine.
Judge Smails: "How do you measure yourself against other golfers?"

Ty Webb: "...Height?"

Ken Fry

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
Jason,

Sometime in the last year or 2 I started working on mapping all of the nine hole courses in the states I could find. After nearly 500 courses and only a quarter of the country complete I slowed up a bit. If you, or anyone, wants to add some more courses to the map, please be my guest.

Nine Holes Courses of America

Ben,

To your list, I'd add GEAA in Pittsfield, MA and Greenock CC in Lee, MA.

Also, Studebaker GC in South Bend, IN and Plym Park GC in Niles, MI

Ken

Jason Way

« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
Thanks all for continuing to kick in your favorite 9-holers. 

I had the pleasure of playing Sweetens Cove this week for the first time, with Rob Collins.  Many of you have been already, and know how special it is.  Several interesting threads already exist on the course:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60249
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58527
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58154

Rob was kind enough to do an interview for my blog, along with an extensive course tour.  Check it out here:

https://geekedongolf.com/2016/11/12/rob-collins-the-sweetens-cove-story/

I took some photos.  Below are some of my favorites.

Par-5 1st

Par-4 2nd

Par-5 3rd

Par-3 4th

Par-4 5th

Par-4 6th

Par-4 7th

Par-4 8th

Par-3 9th

My current fascination with 9 hole courses got me focused on Sweetens Cove.  I went because of the glowing reviews I've heard from GCAers and others, and to meet Rob.  I walked away not just thinking that Sweetens is one of the best 9-holers on the planet.  For me, along with others like The Dunes Club and Whitinsville, Sweetens Cove is one of my all-time favorites courses, period.

If you haven't been yet, go.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:01:21 PM by Jason Way »

Jason Way

« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »
Had the distinct pleasure of playing Quogue Field Club earlier this season.  If you haven't already read Benjamin Litman's outstanding IMO here, I highly recommend it:

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/litman-benjamin-s-timeless-golf-at-quogue-field-club/

I had built up Quogue considerably in my mind over the past few years, and I must say that it did not disappoint.  What a wonderful way to experience the game!

Peter Imber, a QFC member and Green Chairman, graciously did an interview for my blog, to which Jon Cavalier contributed photos for a course tour. 

https://geekedongolf.com/2017/10/07/field-of-dreams-peter-imber-quogue-field-club/

A few bonus photos of my own:

The par-4 3rd

The par-3 4th

The par-4 8th

The par-4/5 9th

When the question arises, what does golf need?  My new answer is, more Quogues.  Enjoy.

David_Tepper

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
NY Times article on Sweetens Cove ("The Little Golf Course That Could"):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/sports/golf/sweetens-cove-golf-club-rob-collins.html?_r=0

Carl Rogers

Re: Best Nine Hole Courses/Clubs New
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »
Needham Golf Club,Needham MA...Wayne Stiles.  I grew up in the town and this where we played our High School Golf.
Probably not the best, but pretty good, if memory serves.
Tuesday, played Sweeten's Cove.I have a better opinion of it now.[size=78%] You must bring a good approach putt, chipping & pitching game or the course will eat you.  It has some severe drainage problems.[/size]

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:36:21 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back