News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dowling

What makes a great architect?
« on: September 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ted Sturges' post makes me wonder: what makes an architect great? The answer when you think about lies in their ability to create fascinating greens and their environs.Therefore, what architects were/are the best at creating greens? What are some of their best greens?

TEPaul

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
If Perry Maxwell is not at the top of the list of green builders, he is real close! Coore & Crenshaw would make him proud in what they have done at the Easthampton G.C. The new members better use their heads when it comes to their green speeds!

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Favourite greens in no real order:1. 6th Walton Heath Old2. 14th St. Andrews3. 16th Pasatiempo4. 6th Royal Melbourne West5. 13th High Pointe6. 1st at Yale7. 16th at North Berwick8. 2nd Pinehurst No.29. 18th Winged Foot West10. 2nd Pine ValleyIf you think about the architects represented, you would have to say that they are all among the very best. Interesting post, Tony.

John Sessions

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ran,Being the fan of P. Dye that you are, are you surprised that not none of his greens made the list above? I am not saying one should - in fact I can't think of a really standout green that he has done.

Bob Ellington

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
For the past two weeks, everybody has talked about the 9th at Yale and now you leave it off your short list? Tis a cruel world.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Greens are a huge part of it, I'd agree -- which is why there are only two or three architects working today whose work could be considered "great."But as for underlying abilities, I think that these are the most important:1.  Knowledge of golf -- the full variety of shots which can be played -- this is why poor golfers generally don't make the grade.2.  The ability to read and understand completely a topographic map, in order to get the best routing possible.3.  A sense of proportion and composition in the contouring of greens and placement and shaping of bunkers.4.  Imagination.

R.Ward

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
That is a great answer and with that sense of imagination must come developer's who are willing to take chances - without a daringness from both the architect and the owner, design will stagnate. Witness the 1960s.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I love the idea of naming my 10 favorite green complexes in the US (& Bermuda) In no particular order also:#4 NGLA#2 Pine Valley (Love the segmentation)#2 Olympic Lake#11 Shinnecock#8 Pebble Beach#9 Yale#4 Fishers Island(Alps Punchbowl)#5 Mid Ocean #17 Spanish Bay#6 The Creek Club

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Gib,It is interesting to me how many of those greens are either above or below the golfer. I don't know what to make of it - mine were in general more level - but it is interesting.PS The 17th at Spanish Bay was a surprise. What do you think of that course in general?

Bill Brightly

Re:What makes a great architect?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:55 PM »
oldie but goodie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back