News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

Bruce Matthews Opus
« on: March 25, 2003, 12:35:03 PM »
Seeing the temperatures actual hit the 60's the last two days got me to wondering when Bruce's Opus in Vicksburg, MI is set to open.  Mark my words, this course is going to make everybody's "Top 10 new ..." lists when it officially opens and add one more excellent option to the Western Michigan golf scene.

Does anyone have any info?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Bruce_Matthews

Re: Bruce Matthews Opus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 05:46:43 PM »
David-
Opus?  I thought I knew all the 4-letter words.  Angels Crossing will be a unique experience.  It's sort of fun watching the recent posts which apply to the course.  

Inspired by classic design?  Yes, as Forrest Richardson says, "it's in the routing."  The master plan includes 27 holes and 115 homesites on 750 acres.  Inward and long views - very little earth movement.
190 yard Biarritz - green 200' long - 95 ' wide - 3' swale in middle.  How do you irrigate a green that large?  

248 yard Redan - 3.5' fall front right to back left over 8' deep bunker.  

Cape hole - reachable par 5

And more.  7000 yards, 5 sets of tees, $40 includes cart.

It's also a Brownfield redevelopment.

Great owners, they want the community to have a great golf experience they can afford.  Vicksburg lost largest employer and tax base when the paper mill folded.

Finish grade is complete on the first 18, seeding starts next week.  Hopefully Sept. 1 you can get a round in.  Clubhouse is slated for Spring '04.  

The best that has happened...they hired the Dean of Michigan Superintendents, Roger Barton.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 06:30:11 PM »
David,

Have you been lucky enough to see the project? I am anxious to get there to take some pictures, but being spring, it affords little time.

Hope it's as good as it sounds. Roger showed me the layout at a meeting last week.

Bruce,

Nice to have that kind of acreage to play with, isn't it? It is good to know Roger will be there to get this course going in the right direction. There's nothing more disheartening than building a wonderful course and then see it neglected after a few years...we know what project that happened to!

Best regards,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 08:59:05 PM »
Joe,
  Were going to have to get a golf day there!! Mr. Matthews-It's great to have you on board here at GCA!!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim Thompson

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 09:23:57 PM »
David,

As a long time GCA lurker, I can’t thank you enough for your interest in our “little” project!  We’re going to do our best to not only live up to, but to exceed your expectations both on the course and off.

We are happy to announce that we will have a soft opening of the full eighteen this summer.  The front nine should be ready for limited play in mid-July with the second nine being made available mid-August.  Grand opening will be in spring of 2004.

Bruce has hit some of the highlights above.  He did leave out the soon to be famous “Wigler” bunker on the fifth.  A hole-by-hole fact sheet is available upon request for those interested.  It has been very interesting to read the “when was the last time you played one?” thread that was recently started, and then go look at our sixth.  Just for clarification, the eighteen-hole course has only five home sites located well off the 15th hole.  The "main eighteen" is a solitary journey over 450+ acres.

Bruce does have one small error in his posting above.  The best thing that has happened to us: Bruce Matthews is our architect!  Always modest, Bruce has managed to not only grasp our vision, but to consistently give us a final product that is better then we ever thought it could be.  His on site “tweaking” of the design has resulted in a course that is pure drama.  Nothing tricked up here, just one classic hole after another resulting in a course that will not only make you wish you could carry 20 clubs, but evoke every emotion in your being.  Our goal has been to construct a course that looks and plays like a Golden Age Classic, in its original time.  Special thanks to Dave Herman of Contours for his ability to interpret the hand signals and body language that were behind every hole!  If any of you need an A1 shaper, Dave comes not only with architect but owner testimonials.  Bruce and Dave are so modest as to their skill level that we hope to get them the awards that they would never ask for!  I think you’ll agree that the features of the course are reminiscent of the early 1900’s while being located for modern equipment.

Our mantra at Angels Crossing is a simple one:  “It’s all about community!”  We’re very happy to welcome Roger “Dean Hooper” Barton to our community.  Roger was hooked after six holes, but that’s another story.  With the closure of the Paper Mill, something had to be done to ease the strain placed on the local economy.  Twenty-three percent of tax base gone and jobs lost on a large scale.  Our dream is to ease our neighbor’s pain, while providing the golf community with a truly classic round!

Feel free to contact us for a tour!

Thanks Again!

Jim Thompson
General Manager
Angels Crossing Golf Club
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
Jim Thompson

David Wigler

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 05:53:08 AM »
Joe,

Jim and Bruce were kind enough to let me tour the property late last fall.  It was an extremely fun 18-hole walk through the mud.  This course really brought home to me how lucky we at GCA are.  Most of us have had many opportunities to play classic courses and understand the brilliance of a well designed Redan or Biarritz.  Even the best public courses (With few notable exceptions in the $200+ range) are typically modern in design.  I tried to think of a course in Michigan that was public access and had a Redan Hole, a real Cape hole, a true Biarritz, an Alps, etc.  I could not come up with one.  This course will give the public golfer a chance to experience those holes.

I have no idea how they will market the course but it really felt to me like a well-executed tribute to Macdonald and Raynor.  I cannot wait to get Gib to Michigan and see what he thinks.

Bruce and Jim - Thank you for the information.  I will see you for sure when it opens late this summer.  You guys really have done something special.

PS – Jim, now that you have been dragged out of lurker status, stay a while.  The perspective of a golf course owner is always welcome and adds insight to many different threads.
 ;)
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Wigler

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 06:15:16 AM »
Shivas,

I am curious if Vicksburg is big enough to make Mapquest.  Basically, it is about 15 miles due south of Kalamazoo.  You could be there from Chicago in under two hours.  
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 06:18:22 AM »
That's only a three hour drive for me.  I may have to make a day trip out of it.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 06:36:23 AM »
Question for Bruce: were all the 'classic holes' there, at Angel's Crossing, manufactured? Or did you actually find 'natural' sites for the Redan, Biarittz, Cape, et.al.? Just curious,
jeffmingay.com

Jim Thompson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 10:28:41 AM »
For those of you tourists out there here are some easy directions to Angels Crossing:

From East and West:
I-94 to Portage Road exit
South 8 miles to "W" Avenue
East 1.3 miles
Entrance on south of road.

From North and South:
US 131 to "W" Avenue - the south light in Schoolcraft (yes, its a two light town)
East 4.3 miles
Entrance on south of road.

Not to steal any of Bruce's thunder, but we moved under 120,000 yards of earth on this project including finish grade and greens complexes.  The last project I was involved with we moved over 600,000 yards just in sub grade.  We were able to do that because Bruce "saw" the holes that were just lying there, waiting, begging to discovered.  That’s what makes Bruce so great from my standpoint.  Let’s face it; Mother Nature has more landscape experience then anyone I know.  Bruce’s true gift on this property is that he didn’t “make” the course, he “revealed” it. The hardest part had to be choosing the 18 green locations we used from the 50 plus that were just waiting there.  When you see it, you’ll definitely get it.  You’ll also think we moved 800,000 yards of earth in sub grade! The two Cape holes, #4 & #17 were on almost every routing we saw, as was the Redan.  The #6 Biarritz is the most “man made”, but after playing #2, #3, #4, I doubt you’ll be able to pick it up.

Regards,

Jim Thompson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 08:48:33 PM »
David,

Thought you might be interested in our latest coverage.  Angels Crosing is the cover story for this months Encore Magazine. Here's the link:

www.encorekalamazoo.com/encore.cfm

Don't let those smiling mugs on the cover scare you away ;)

Select "Cover Story" to read the article.

I'd be pleased to hear your comments.

Thanks!

JT
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
Jim Thompson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2003, 09:39:30 PM »
Bruce and Jim, very informative article from "Encore", and your contributions on GCA are much appreciated.  It appears your organization has really done some admirable planning to bring about such a complex project, particularly in the face of what might be deemed difficult times for GC development.  I'm sure we will all be anxious to hear more as the opening unfolds this summer.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Wigler

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 04:29:50 AM »
Jim,

It is a great article and the first of many your course will get.  I am beyond anxious (Although probably nowhere near as badly as yourself) to get out and play the course.  It looks so special in the ground.  Keep up the good work and please remember to post the grand opening date on GCA so I can plan enough time to make the trek.

PS - Walking will be allowed, correct?  If I can walk it in the dirt, it should be an easy walk once grass is there.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Jim Thompson

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 11:01:54 AM »
David,

"Golf is a good walk spoiled." - Mark Twain

We are going to considerable lengths to not only make the course walkable, but walker friendly.  Three stick built comfort stations and "snack shed" are being built on the "big 18" for those who don't wish to come back across the creek at the turn.  In addition, the routing relative to five tee placements was used to minimize the total length of walk for the middle tee and forward tee players.  

I'm currently working on web hosting.  Once that's rapped up, I'll post the master plan hear for everyone to check out.  I think seeing the master plan would really help those who haven't seen the property understand the scale of the course.

Regards,

JT

PS. Mark Twain must have been a hack.  'Cause I've never had a bad walk on a golf course.  Maybe a long one, but never a bad one.
Jim Thompson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2003, 01:30:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2003, 12:10:38 AM »
David & RJ,

Here's the master plan and routing of Angels Crossing.  I'm afraid if I shrink it much more it will just blend together.  Some field tweaks were made to this original plan.  They include a tournament tee for 13 located due E of 12 green with a forced carry over the bunker on the right of landing area.  13 bunker positioning through the green also changed.  Hole by hole highlights from a recent press release follow.  The release gives a good flavor of how we're promoting the course.  We hope the GCA will appreciate the effort to educate the mainstream players of the true origins as well as the nostalgia of traditional golf.

The 18 to open this summer is comprised of the solitary loops on the E of the property.  The front nine goes to the NE portion on section 24 while the back nine goes to the S of section 24.  RJ's links above are great for examining the topo and original state of the property.

"As built" master plan and individual hole sketches are currently being completed.  I will post them as they become available for your review and comments.

Enjoy!

JT

ANGELS CROSSING, VICKSBURG, MICHIGAN - THE COURSE:            
OWNERS:               ROBERT & JILL THOMPSON, SOUTH COUNTY GOLF DEVELOPMENT L.L.C.

2211 EAST V AVENUE

VICKSBURG, MICHIGAN 49097

269-649-1273

fertileprairie@aol.com

GOLF COURSE ARCHITECT:   W. BRUCE MATTHEWS III, A.S.G.C.A., 517-339-9700

GENERAL MANAGER:              JAMES THOMPSON

SUPERINTENDENT:                  ROGER BARTON

GOLF PROFESSIONAL:            MIKE HILL

18 HOLE COURSE  - PAR 72 - 7001– 6590 – 6180 – 5609 – 4947 YARDS

9 HOLE COURSE - PAR 35 - 3300 – 3017 – 2694 – 2453 – 2090 YARDS

115 HOMESITES  

The golf course is situated on the eastern edge of Michigan’s only prairie.  The golf holes traverse the varied  topography through the meadows and woodlots overlooking Portage Creek, Barton Lake and the wetlands that border fifteen of the holes.   The course forms a cohesive bond between man and the environment.  

Each W. Bruce Matthews III designed hole is spacious with plenty of room in the field of play in an honest, un-manufactured manner.  Five sets of tees ranging from 4800-7000 yards test the physical and mental skills of all types of golfers. Classic in inspiration, the routing seamlessly flows through the property, blending power, accuracy and finesse.  Bold, steep, grass faced bunkers with depths of three to twelve feet provide not only challenge but also offer dramatic views, texture and scale to the course.  The bunkers, although large and deep, are not visible as you look back on the hole, in MacKenzie fashion.  

The par threes range from the 152-yard sixteenth hole to the 248-yard twelfth.  The par fours range from the short 347-yard ninth hole to the long 462-yard dogleg seventh.  The par fives range from the reachable 534-yard seventeenth hole to the three shot 610-yard fourth.  The routing includes the following highlights:  

The first hole: 403-yard par 4

The large landing area is bordered by six-foot deep bunkers, one along the right side and two large buffalo shaped bunkers on the left side.  The green is elevated with little backdrop making depth perception and club selection important for the approach.  A deep bunker guards the right, front of the green.  Twelve of the eighteen holes can be seen from this green.  

The second hole: 355-yard par 4

The tee shot is slightly downhill into a hardwood forest, which encloses the second half of the hole.  The short uphill second shot is to the green on top of the hill.  Bunkers on the left and a hollow on the right guard the green.  

The third hole: 200-yard par 3

The shot over wetlands to a green on the hill has plenty of bail out on the right side.  Short, left and long slopes downhill quickly into trouble.              

The fourth hole: 610-yard par 5

The “Long” of  St. Andrews’s fourteenth hole is the forefather of this hole.  The cape style “bite off” on the tee shot and the series of five bunkers that split the fairway short of the green provide several different routes to the hole.  

The fifth hole: 384-yard par 4

The dogleg right plays around the deep natural area.  The entire left side of the hole is tree lined.  The shallow two-tier green is behind two six foot deep bunkers guarding the right half of the green.  

The sixth hole: 181-yard par 3

Willie and Tom Dunn’s third hole at Golf De Biarritz, France that opened in 1888, inspired the “Biarritz” hole.  C.B. Macdonald’s ninth hole at Yale University is the most famous Biarritz hole.  A six to eight foot deep bunker on the right side guards the 180-foot long green.  The center third of the green is three feet lower than the front and the rear.  

The seventh hole: 462-yard par 4

The long dogleg par four plays to a “punch bowl green” nestled among the hardwoods.  The punch bowl, a green that is depressed on three sides, was originally designed by early designers to protect their greens from wind desiccation.  The fourth hole at Royal Liverpool Golf Club in England is an early example.  

The eighth hole: 565-yard par 5

The perfect uphill tee shot is over the fairway bunker at 230 yards setting up a visible second landing area.  The sentry oak on the right side narrows the first landing area telling the golfer, “left is the way.”  The hole is tree lined along the right side and a bunker on the left frames the second landing area.  The fat part of the small green is over the left greenside bunker.  The right side of the putting surface has a two and a half-foot depression flowing toward the tree line.  

The ninth hole: 347-yard par 4

Trees on the right and the buffalo bunker left border the short par four. The small pot bunker in the center of the fairway is 220 yards left.  The undulating green complex is open to the run up shot, as the left bunker is not really in play.  

The tenth hole: 377-yard par 4

The medium length, relatively flat dogleg plays to an elevated green in which the putting surface “floats” on the horizon.  The merits of poor visuals and the absence of framing make golfer trust his or her club selection.  

The eleventh hole: 354-yard par 4

The back nine’s short par four is a dogleg right around native prairie grasses. Wetlands parallel the left side of the hole.  Max’s hollow, an eight-foot deep grass bunker short and right of the green challenges the golfer who wants to cut the dogleg.  

The twelfth hole: 248-yard par 3

“The Redan.”  Inspired by the famous fifteenth hole at North Berwick, Scotland.  The long par three is extremely difficult with a green that falls away from right to left three to four feet.  Like the original, the eight-foot deep bunker guards the front of the green, leaving a narrow approach to run the ball up and feed down to the hole.  Also in respect to the original, the hole is at grade and the green is not visible from the tee, adding to the challenge.  

The thirteenth hole: 536-yard par 5

The double dogleg features a bottle neck first landing area as the bunkers on the right at 270 yards and 290 yards pinch the far end of the landing area.  The second landing area plays around the "“Cardinal” bunker.  The aggressive alternative plays over the rough inside the dogleg and a greenside bunker.  Old Tom Morris and Charles Hunter designed the earliest cardinal hole, #3 at Prestwick Golf Club, Scotland.  

The fourteenth hole: 384-yard par 4

The landing area kicks everything to the right.  The small cedar just beyond the landing area is the target for the perfect tee shot.   A single oak one hundred yards out from the green and wetlands right guard the right side approach.  There are no bunkers on this hole; none needed, as the green falls away left to right.  

The fifteenth hole: 449-yard par 4

The dogleg right plays to a wide landing area that offers a shorter, straighter route the further right the tee shot is.  But, the landing area is guarded short, right and long by wetlands.  The valley emerging from the wetlands into the green is reminiscent of “The Valley of Sin” on the Old Course’s eighteenth hole.  

The sixteenth hole: 152-yard par 3

The course’s shortest hole was inspired by Mackenzie and Hunter’s sixteenth hole at Cypress Point.  The small green is surrounded by five bunkers testing the short iron approach.  The changing winds above the trees increase the importance of club selection.  The long view past the green is Barton Lake.  

The seventeenth hole: 534-yard par 5

The very reachable par five is Angels Crossing’s  “Cape” hole which offers a direct route to the green perched twenty feet above wetlands.  The left side of the fairway is the target for a shot at the green.  A bunker complex on the left at 230 yards protects the left side.  The second shot to the green is a carry over wetlands or the alternative safer route around the wetlands provides little trouble.  C.B. Macdonald’s fourteenth hole at National Golf Links, New York is a preeminent par four Cape hole.  

The eighteenth hole: 427-yard par 4

The finishing hole is flanked on the left by wetlands the entire length.  The first landing area is in a bowl directing shots toward the center of the fairway.  The long uphill second shot plays to a narrow 200-foot long green.  The wetlands twenty feet below the left side of the green and the bunker on the right demand accurate execution of the approach shot.

Jim Thompson

David Wigler

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 05:03:37 AM »
Huckaby,

You can add this to the courses we are seeing when you come to visit in August.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2003, 11:41:17 AM »
The concept plan did not open fully on the web page.  However, using this link may help, I'm not sure...

http://www.iserv.net/~quistj/masterplan.jpg

Then, one can save the picture and use zoom to see details.

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2003, 12:32:23 PM »
Sounds good to me, Dave.  This does look
like an absolute must.   ;D

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back