News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: Whitten Calls Out the GCA Purist
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2003, 10:02:22 AM »
Hi Pat ;D ;D
Great post.  Nicely put.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2003, 10:55:25 AM »
Mdugger,

You have to understand, TEPaul often gets confused.

Until he met me he thought STYMIE was the character from the OUR GANG comedy series.

He thought SPOON was something silver, lodged in your mouth, that you were born with.

He thought Coore & Crenshaw was a beer and melon dish served at certain golf clubs.

He thought CROSS BUNKER was a guy named Archie who dressed in Edith's clothes.

He thought MAINTAINANCE was something you paid to an ex-girlfriend or ex-wife.

The man had virtually, not a clue about golf and golf courses until we met.  I promised his relatives that I would take him under my wing, and try to guide him, to teach him, but even
Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes gave up on him, and now I'm all alone with this monumental task.

I tell you, it ain't easy.

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2003, 11:10:20 AM »

He probably does believe that the Treehouse gang is too focused on the work of a handful of architects, and relatively ignorant of the work of many others, and I'll second that observation.

This sounds like the makings of a good thread!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2003, 11:39:34 AM »
Pat;

Any chance of you doing 15 minutes of "stand-up" comedy at our next GCA get-together?  Funny stuff!!!  ;D

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2003, 11:51:19 AM »
George Pazin:

Tom Doak's quote might be a good thread, but then maybe not. I say that because to have broad participation, you need to discuss courses people are familiar with. Many of these relative unknowns are just that - people don't know them.

However, Tom's quote might be expanded to more reports about the courses and architects we are not generally aware of and this would be quite worthwhile.

Sorry if I'm too hung up on the difference between a "good thread" and a "report". Reports of things few people have seen ARE really appreciated even if most people can't add anything.
Tim Weiman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2003, 12:29:31 PM »
Dave S., good post on #23 along with many other god points by Tom and Tim.   I hardly think it is fair to characterize RWs comments as "calling out" anyone.  I see it more as an effort  towards promotion of the minimalist idea with other archies.  

Not having RW more active on this site is our loss.  I don't care if he is challenged for his design ideas, tastes, and management of the top whatever lists. I would hope he doesn't care if you debate him either.  He is a dedicated student of the subject, and unlike many of us, has the goods in his repetoire of travels, deeds, and writings to be respected for his opinions.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Wes_Pumphrey

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2003, 12:21:49 PM »
Funny to see this thread.  Just got back from a MB weekend with some other diehards.  Played a nice layout in Wallace, NC on the way down called River Landing which was solid except for the over the top waterfall on the finishing hole.

Heathland Friday morning, Moorland Friday afternoon, Heather Glen Saturday morning, Glen Dornoch Saturday afternoon.  The morning courses in my opinion were more minimalist (oxymoron?) than the afternoon.  Moorland had a few holes that needed either a clowns mouth or a windmill.  Glen Dornoch had a few holes that felt gimmicky.  Don't have the cards with me so I can't give much detail.  If you go to MB to play Heathland, get to Heather Glen.  It is a fine parkland layout with a few quirks, like an elevated bunker hiding a green, but a real solid test with great bunkering.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2003, 12:34:47 PM »

He probably does believe that the Treehouse gang is too focused on the work of a handful of architects, and relatively ignorant of the work of many others, and I'll second that observation.

Tom -- Who are the others of which the Treehouse gang is ignorant? Do tell!

Thanks.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back