News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

Ultimate Design Question
« on: April 08, 2003, 12:41:08 PM »
GCA participants,

After reading all the recent posts regarding rankings and designs, as well as the King Putter review, I've noticed a common theme ending all the threads.

It goes something like this:

"If we could all get together and play the course on the same day. Then sit in the bar / lounge discussing, debating and postulating.  We could come up with accurate and definitive rankings."

So here's a couple questions I know you are all passionate about and uniquely qualified to answer :):

Where's the best "19th hole" that you've enjoyed?  What are the design characteristics that make it special?  How does or should it relate to the overall architectural theme of the entire property?

This should be good.

Cheers!

JT

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Jim Thompson

Jamie_Duffner

Re: Ultimate Design Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 01:09:32 PM »
Garden City has an ambience that fits the course.  Understated, but elegant and also right on the 18th hole.  A pushed and long tee shot could knock the scotch right out of your hand.

Before the big renovations, I always enjoyed a post round pitcher at Bethpage.  The patio was (and I guess still is) right behind the 1st tee/18th green.  Great view.

Bruce_Dixon

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 01:58:50 PM »
Although I haven't been there myself, I have heard rave reviews of the Clubhouse at Donald Steel's Redtail GC in Ontario.

Cheers!

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 02:01:25 PM »
Of course one's home ought to be one's fave... this ought to be about the people... but hell, I have no home.  So as is so often the case when it comes to best, it seems to begin and end with me in Mullen, NE.  Perfection exists having a beer on "Ben's Porch" at Sand Hills at sunset, followed by dinner in the main clubhouse.  Life isn't meant to be any better than that.   ;D

TH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

GeoffreyC

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 02:11:40 PM »
I can finally fully agree with a GD panelist  ;D .  TH- you are absolutely positively correct. Ben's Porch it is!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 02:25:30 PM »
Jim, for a public course, I don't think the 19th hole has to be overly plush.  It should have a style that fits the area culture.  Inside, it should have enough space to accomodate at least 12 to 15 tables of 4s (foursomes) plus a bar shaped L to sqaurish with as many of those little rounded out corner pieces for the old soaks to sit around in pairs to 4somes.  The bar should be set up for speed of service for the bartender.  A light food operation of pub grub should accompany the bar service.  A serious inventory of Single malt scotches, whiskeys and specialty beers should be featured.  I think that an actual dinner service is a waste of time and money in most cases.  But, if needed, it should be completely separate from the 19th hole operation (on different floor, oposite wing or in adjoining building).  The interior furnishings should include a heavy dose of dark wood panneling, wall space for pictures, brass trims, and dark green carpet.  The view should be as close as you can make it overlooking the tees and greens of start and finish holes.  A pro shop should be very nearby and attached.  A very modest locker room/dressing area with small shower is a real plus, even for drop in folks that travelled to play, would like to hang around and socialize and want to tidy up after a sweaty round, etc.

I happen to think that the theme of the clubhouse of Bayside in Ogallala NE is outstanding (although slightly too big) and recommend you see it.  I'll e-mail some pics.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 02:34:28 PM »
I am 110% in agreement with Tom.  The weekend I spent at Sand Hills was great but the time spent on 'Ben's' Porch' will remain with me the rest of my life.

It is a spiritual place..

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 05:59:57 AM »
That's the best way to put it, isn't it, Brian?  "Spiritual".... And isn't it damn near impossible to explain to those who haven't seen it?

I'd say the greatest testament to Ben's Porch is that spending time there is often chosen over going to play more holes - and this at what at least I call the greatest golf course on this planet.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back