News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

What is the Ocean Course at Cabo Del Sol missing?
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
Hole-for-hole, it's easily one of the two or three best courses I've ever played. In the hole-by-hole match play comparison game, it might beat Pebble Beach and Augusta.

I also had no interest in playing it again after one round on a recent trip. Nobody loves tacos and margaritas more than I do, but I'd rather procure them at another timeshare presentation than at the Ocean Course.

It's obviously not very walkable, but there has to be more to it than that, right? I mean, the holes are FANTASTIC. So why does it feel like less than the sum of its parts?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tom_Doak

Re: What is the Ocean Course at Cabo Del Sol missing?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »

I'm not with you on the golf holes beating Pebble Beach, or 50 other courses I've played, but I agree completely that when one does a hole-by-hole comparison, Cabo del Sol comes out well ahead of where you feel about it.

Why?  I think that most courses that are laid out with a housing development in mind, lack a soul.  [Pardon the pun!] 

There are just too many times when the routing turns a certain direction, and you can feel instinctively that it does so to make room for a cul de sac of homes, even if they're not there yet.  Any time that happens, you get yanked out of the flow of the golf experience, and that's a hard hole to dig out of, no matter how good the individual holes are.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
I have played the course approximately 15 times with 13 of those rounds coming in two visits.  Obviously, I found it a course I wanted to play again and again.  I plot a theoretical return once a month. 

The only test it fails in my book is being an easy walk - but I rarely walk multiple times per day.  While there is some housing on the course, I did not find it intrusive like many other courses. 

What the course does have are some unique and strategic holes in an incredible location.  I would put the 3rd, the 5th, the 11th, the 14th and the stretch from 16-18 against any course.  I would put the setting from 5-7 and 16-18 up against any location.  I made my only hole in one using the feeder slope on 7.  The worst weather I have experienced is a 15 mile per hour wind on a 75 degree day. 

I will take that anytime.   
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:41:58 PM by Jason Topp »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
Routing and great turf.  Otherwise, it's really quite excellent.

Bart

Blake Conant

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
I hope Clyde Johnson chimes in here, as he's seen the course fairly recently and may offer some input.  Sorry to put you on the spot, Chief!

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:47 PM »
It's obviously not very walkable, but there has to be more to it than that, right?
Nnnnnnnnnnope.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back