News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

4 days: Colorado/Nebraska golf tour
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
as part of a longer trip to the US, I am planning 4 days in Colorado with the following itinerary:
Denver airport to Colorado GC (1-2 hours?)
- drive to Ballyneal (2 hours?) *overnight x1
Ballyneal  - drive to Sand Hills (4 hours?) *overnight x2
Sand Hills to Prairie Club (I think it will be open - any recommendations for either Dunes or Pines - am keen to see Horse) *overnight x1

Perhaps 4 days won't be enough, and I could add a half day - as getting out of Nebraska via plane seems to require distance.

Any other recommendations on course selection or travel issues?

many of you may also just say stay at Sand Hills and play as much as I can :)

Thanks

Brett
@theflatsticker

Tom_Doak

Re: 4 days: Colorado/Nebraska golf tour
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
Brett:

Colorado Golf Club is +/- one hour south of Denver airport ... Ballyneal is 2 1/2 hours northeast of the airport, and you'll have to drive right back past the airport on your way.  So that's going to be a long first day.  Depending on your time of arrival, I'd consider skipping CGC, especially if you have enough time to squeeze in 18 holes when you get to Holyoke.

One of the nicest things about Ballyneal is that you can fly into Denver and still have plenty of time to get 18 holes in that afternoon, unlike Sand Hills which is a much longer drive.

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »
Brett,
If it helps with logistics, Frontier and United fly out of North Platte which is 130 miles south of Valentine, 75 miles south of Mullen.   Even Valentine is less than 2 hours by car.

Jason

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »
I have done that same trip (minus CGC) a couple of times.

The key is getting a one way car rental so you don't have to back track.  Fly into Denver and follow your itinerary.  When you are done in Valentine drive directly back to North Platte or Kearney and drop off the car and fly out of there instead of driving all the way back to Denver.

Another option is fly into North Platte and follow your itinerary in the opposite direction.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
thanks Tom,

I have clearly made a blue with my calculations of where CGC is. I thought I could go there 'on the way' to Ballyneal.

That is fine - I will drop CGC, get straight onto Ballyneal, which may allow me some extra holes at both Ballyneal and SH.

much appreciated.

Jason:

so would you recommend I stick the chosen path and fly into Denver and fly out of Nth Platte - I think that was probably on my itinerary as it seounds like it makes sense.

Is travel by car reasonably fast in that route - I am assuming it is out in th emiddle of no where without much city traffic  ???

Thanks
Brett
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
Thanks Chip, that may assist with juggling course access and flights.

have you seen Priarie CLub yet - is it worth including - or just play as many rounds at Bally & SH - if it is - which courses?

Other sectors of the trip are Monterey, Bandon and NJ/LI (hopefully  ;D)
@theflatsticker

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
Brett:

Colorado Golf Club is +/- one hour south of Denver airport ... Ballyneal is 2 1/2 hours northeast of the airport, and you'll have to drive right back past the airport on your way.  So that's going to be a long first day.  Depending on your time of arrival, I'd consider skipping CGC, especially if you have enough time to squeeze in 18 holes when you get to Holyoke.

One of the nicest things about Ballyneal is that you can fly into Denver and still have plenty of time to get 18 holes in that afternoon, unlike Sand Hills which is a much longer drive.

Brett:

I believe Tom Doak gave you misinformation. ???

I have routinely travelled from New York to play Sand Hills and when flying into Denver we have had no trouble playing 18 after making the drive to the club - especially at that time of year.

More often we have taken the short flight from Den to Mullen on Great Lakes Aviation which usually gets us to the club in time for 36 holes. Again, all on the same day we left NY.

If you decide to drive to Sand Hills you will arrive at HWY 97 at the mid to latter part of the afternoon and that drive at that time of day is nothing  short of SPECTACULAR!

A drive through the Sand Hills of Nebraska is one of the wonders to behold here in the USA.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
Brett,

Know as well that a one way car rental and/or flying into a smaller airport can often be very pricey, but no doubt it could save you many hrs to be spent on the course instead of behind the wheel.

As for traffic, its pretty non-existant...its pretty wide open in them parts.  :D

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »
Brett:

Brett:

I believe Tom Doak gave you misinformation. ???

I have routinely travelled from New York to play Sand Hills and when flying into Denver we have had no trouble playing 18 after making the drive to the club - especially at that time of year.

More often we have taken the short flight from Den to Mullen on Great Lakes Aviation which usually gets us to the club in time for 36 holes. Again, all on the same day we left NY.

If you decide to drive to Sand Hills you will arrive at HWY 97 at the mid to latter part of the afternoon and that drive at that time of day is nothing  short of SPECTACULAR!

A drive through the Sand Hills of Nebraska is one of the wonders to behold here in the USA.

Gene you are right about the drive:  i'll never forget how you go from stereotypical dead flat Nebraska to amazing dune like land  as if someone flicked a switch...absolutely incredible
197 played, only 3 to go!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Brett:

Brett,  I found Sand Hills to be great but the drive was pure torture-after the first two miles of hills they all look the same-just my opinion. As an aside why not play 18 at Cherry Hills-great new renovation by Doak. Close to the airport as well.
                                                                               Jack                                                

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:08 AM »
Wow - thanks guys - great info - literally smiling to myself at the thought of the drive and the golf.

GENE: (and Kalen)
thanks for the info on the travel - with the goal of maximising my time for as much golf as possible - the flights may be worth the extra cost  - I may never get back again to the States to play these courses.

Gene: how long is the flight from NY?

Jack:
yes - i had also thought about Cherry Hills - didn't realise TD had done a reno, although I do not know much about it.

Assuming it is 'on the way' to Ballyneal - you would recommend I stop for a round?

Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

Scott Szabo

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
Brett,

Cherry Hills is not at all on the way to Ballyneal, although it is about an hour or so from DIA (in the opposite direction).

Just be careful about speeding when you get close to Sterling.  I hear they are prone to handing out tickets to guys who are on their way to Sand Hills....

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
If it were me and I had four days, I'd just focus on BN and SH. Add more days if you want to see PC, but that may require two days to see both courses (one course is reserved for members each day, but perhaps you can get around that).

This is how I'd do it:

day 1 am: fly to denver, drive to Holyoke. Golf BN 36 holes
day 2: BN 36+ holes
day 3 early am: drive to SH, 36+ holes
day 4: SH 36+ holes

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »

Just be careful about speeding when you get close to Sterling.  I hear they are prone to handing out tickets to guys who are on their way to Sand Hills....

Scott, how about if you are just going to Ballyneal?   ;D

Scott Szabo

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »

Scott, how about if you are just going to Ballyneal?   ;D

Haven't heard any stories as of yet - only the Sand Hills guys get the tickets!

Although once you head east from Sterling you will go through many smaller towns and they show no mercy to anyone!

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
Brett,
Travel times are quick, but be careful not to make them too quick.  Scott is correct about the speed, if you have a car with an out of state license plate, don’t go over 81 mph in Nebraska on the Interstate.  Go under 80 if you have a car from along the Mexican border.
J.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
Depending on what time you get into Denver, CommonGround is close to the airport.  If you want to add a course I would suggest Wild Horse. But my opinion about the whole trip is if the object is to get in to play a course and get out as quickly as you can you are  really missing the point.  You are talking about Sand Hills and Ballyneal - two of the greatest courses ever built and you need to spend time enjoying them and understanding them.  The more I've played them the more I've enjoyed them. Just a change in wind direction can make such a huge difference and shows you the genius of the design. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
Hi Jerry,

yes, maybe I didn't explain myself properly, am not planning to spend 5 hours there and get out again, but that as I am travelling from the Oz, and am hoping to get onto as many of the great trackes in my list as possible, I would prefer, as you say and others have said also, to spend as much quality time with these courses as possible, and not planning to do much 'touristy' stuff, purely golf adventure :)

So, in this section of the trip, after the advice from all those above, I believe we'll look to maximise our time with BN & SH and possibly Prairie, and hopefully find opportunity to play 36-54 at each.

I completely understand the changes, both subtle and obvious with different conditions of both weather, light and temperature.

I am also assuming it doesn't get dark until 9pm ish? in the area.

BM
@theflatsticker

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
July is likely 8 - 830 for sunset.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »
Tom nice job of throwing Colorado GC under the bus. I actually like the ambition of this trip which will touch the heart of many GCA types. I can only say you have made great choices and think adding more time will allow you to enjoy all more. Each course you mentione dis special and deserves more than a quick play and run or to put it in southern lover terms that lady deserves the whole night and many plays.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 01:13:03 AM »
It seems that many, many people on here have played Sand Hills. Surely everyone on here doesn't know a member of the course (considering I think there's only like 200 or so, correct?), or is there some other way to get on the course?

Pup

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
Brett

I also seriously contemplated slotting Prarie Dunes into my itinerary last year but just couldn't fit it in with my 2 nights in the Central region. I think I was told it was 5-6 hrs drive to Sand Hills from there ?

The highways are an easy drive but there is no interest in the views outside those at Sand Hills of course  8)

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 01:59:49 AM »
 I think most importantly you want to play 36 holes at both Ballyneal and Sand Hills.  You can't possibly get it all in on these great courses with just one round.  If  you have enough time you can play a course each afternoon and the next moprning and then drive to the next spot.  In Denver,    Cherry Hills, and Colorado Golf Club.   Drive to Ballyneal for afternoon and morning rounds.  ( It's a treat to stay there and the food is fantastic.. a pretty pricey stay).  Then on to Sand Hills for same,  followed by Prairie.  If you can fit in Wild Horse it's well worth the stop there.  Dismal River isn't very good if you had that on your list.           If you only have 4 days skip Prairie this trip and emphasize BN and SH. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Brett

I also seriously contemplated slotting Prarie Dunes into my itinerary last year but just couldn't fit it in with my 2 nights in the Central region. I think I was told it was 5-6 hrs drive to Sand Hills from there ?

The highways are an easy drive but there is no interest in the views outside those at Sand Hills of course  8)

KP - I was referring to Prairie Club - not Prairie Dunes - I think it is probably an hour or so drive (from SH) from Bally & SH -opening May 31?

BM
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back