News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Golf Hole of the Day, Farmington
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:47:40 AM »
When I got to work this morning, I tore off the weekend pages from my Hole of the Day calendar, and found that the Saturday, Feb. 7th hole is an "uphill 165 yd. par 3", purportedly the 6th.   On the back, it refers to the Farmington CC in Charlottesville, Va.  I suspect that the sagauro (sp.?) cacti in the picture guarantee that this isn't southwestern VA, nor NH, nor CT, which also have Farmington CC's.  

I know there is a Farmington, NM.  Does anyone know if that is where this picture is from, along with anything else about the course?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Golf Hole of the Day, Farmington
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 10:59:47 AM »
It's probably Pinon Hills, Adam Clayman's home course.  The back of each calendar entry usually has the name and location of each course (my 2003 version does).

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 11:08:24 AM »
Just as they did last year, the weekend photos online of the
GD Hole-A-Days get cut off big-time, as seen by the doozy of
the hole A.G. referred to:

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 11:59:09 AM »
This is not Pinon Hills.

There are no cactus of the saguro variety, that I am aware of, here.

Big B

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 02:18:36 PM »
October 28th is Farmington.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 02:34:55 PM »
Still wondering what and where this hole is...

Anyone?  Anyone?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 04:22:22 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say someplace like the boulders.

Searching is near impossible. So far here's the closest I've come up with.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 05:42:24 PM by A_Clay_Man »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »
Clay,

I am surprised that your picture was from a Phoenix source, because the mountians in the background remind me of Vistoso in Tucson.

As far as someone mentioning the Boulders earlier, I do not recall the kind of landscaping shown in the "Hole of the Day" photo anywhere on the Boulders.

Beyond that I do not know either.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »
Adam,

Your post is Legend Trail. Thanks.

The picture — I believe — is the Phoenician in, yes, Phoenix. Original 18 by Arthur Jack Snyder, remodeled with a million palm trees by Homer Flint. Third 9 by Ted Robinson, Jr.

This photo appears to be from the original 18 where the resort borders the course and provides an endless curtain of palm trees up against the desert. The course sits at the base of Camelback Mountain.

Please don't hold me to this...but I believe I'm correct.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 09:04:35 AM »
My guess of the Boulders was a stab in the dark since it's been a very long time since I saw it, once.

I had the hardest time researching Phx. golf for decent pix. Either too many sites with no pix or not enough with links to the course. Certainly not efficeint.

I went back to research this a.m. and came across this hole description.
What makes a Picasso worth millions? What makes a butterfly graceful? A Supreme Court Justice once said of obscenity, "I know it when I see it." The same logic applies for greatness in golf architecture. Every so often, all the pieces fall together just right. That's essentially what happened on No. 8. All the pieces are there, and they all fit together perfectly.

First, you have the tee box: Slightly elevated, overlooking a tranquil pond, dressed with flowers and surrounded by palm trees waving in the breeze. The palms descend the hill in line to the valley floor, turn and climb again to the right to form a gentle dogleg.

The perfect tee shot ignores the dogleg and sails directly over the tips of the towering palms, landing on the right side of the up-sloping fairway and coming to rest on the left. This takes the water to the right reasonably out of play and sets up an uphill chip to the green.

:o

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 12:05:40 PM »
October 28th is Farmington.

The Oct 28th pic is thus:

which must be the actual Farmington CC near Charlottesville, VA.  There are a few members (at least 3, I think) of Farmington who contribute (or used to) here who could possibly confirm.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »
Scott- The first pic u posted on this thread is what? Where?

I searched and searched.

Forrest- Is Scott's first pic the Pheonician? and the small one I posted legend trails? I have no idea, why I have no idea. Go figure!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 12:37:08 PM »
Adam,

I don't know where it's from.  I just posted the pic from Feb 7 of the calendar's web site, but I don't have access to page containing the pic to see the description, if that makes any sense.  I know how to access the pics "illegally" (I know the formula they use for the URL of those pics), but not the regular pages, which are different from last years (the URL formula is different).  

I also wasn't given the 2004 calendar as a gift, as I was the 2003 calendar.   :(  Someone (my sister) thought it was a good idea to give me the paper airplane-a day calendar instead.    :-\

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »
I suppose plunking down the discounted-because-it's-February-already fare for the 2004 calendar at the mall wouldn't be too taxing (me included).

gookin

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 01:16:32 PM »
During my college days at UVA (I hate Duke) I played at Farmington CC in Charlottesville, Va.  The sixth hole is an uphill par 3. While it is a nice hole, it is a long way from being one of the more memorable holes in this course. In total I would call Farmington a very good layout.  Its condition in the mid 1970's was a little weak, but I am spoiled by the general conditioning of courses in Western PA.  I have not played golf at Farmington in close to 30 years.  Everything could be different today.

gookin

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 01:18:55 PM »
The picture posted by Scott is #1 at Farmington CC in Charlottesville, Va.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 10:25:37 AM »
Reply #2 is the Phoenician...I think.

Reply#6 is Legend Trail #14, a par-4 with an upper fairway promoting a lay-up, else the tee shot may roll way done and into a ravine or very uneven lie. The shot from the garden spot in the fairway is anywhere from a 9-iron to 6-iron depending on how well the lay-up is executed. There is potential to strike it hard and hope for a resting spot within some dips prior to the desert cross hazard, but this is a risk.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back