News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Re:Uphill architecture
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 11:47:39 PM »
Here are two other examples of uphill holes from my own home course here in Dubuque...one is a shortish par-4 of 290 yards playing (usually) into the prevailing wind, and the other is a medium-length par-3 of about 153 yards which also (usually) plays into the prevailing wind.

The uphill par-4 is our second hole, and is very much a "go-for-it" risk/reward type hole.  If you hit it right, there is a tremendously steep hill which kicks your ball down towards to pond fronting the third hole.  Trees line the left side of the fairway, and a chip-out is all you can expect from there.  Negotiate the two fairway bunkers and you might reach the green or leave yourself with a short pitch shot.  However, the green slopes left to right significantly, so holding the small green becomes quite a challenge.

The uphill par-3 is out sixteenth hole, and the green surface is semi-blind with a bit of a false front to it.  Front pins are "sucker" pins as you MUST get the ball to the middle of the green for it to stay put.  Bunkers flanking the green left and right give you a good "aiming point", but deciding on a club to get up the hill with the wind in your face or across makes it tough to pull the trigger sometimes.

Uphill par-4 2nd hole tee shot

Uphill par-4 2nd hole fairway and approach shot

Uphill par-4 2nd hole green complex

Uphill par-3 16th hole tee shot

Uphill par-3 16th hole green complex

Uphill par-3 16th green (notice the false front)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

SPDB

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 12:11:43 AM »
I don't know if its necessarily "uphill" but Flynn was a master of transitioning different topos either on the same holes or adjoining. The best evidence of this I know is on his Primrose #8 to #9 at TCC (Composite #12-13).

The way he utilized bunkers in a hillside setting is unmatched (i.e. the bunkers benched in the hillside/plateau on #8)

mike_malone

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 10:04:04 AM »
 Geoff
    #9 at Rolling Green certainly requires you to hit it solidly,but the fairway is huge here so there is plenty of space to roam.
AKA Mayday

Willie_Dow

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2004, 03:32:03 PM »
Sean

TCC is a good example of uphill architecture, I think.  Look at #2, #6, #8, #11, & #14 on the regular course.  #2, #6, #8, #9, #12, & #14 on the Open course.  (If my fractured Florida memory serves me right.)

Willie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back