News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

henrye

Re:Manoir Richelieu
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »
Jeff Mingay.  I think the bunkers at Banff look great, but I have to confess that I did not see them years ago.  I spent a week there last year.  Of the 5 Thompson courses you mentioned I have played them all except Highland Links, and of the remaining 4, I would rank Banff as the best.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »
The bunkers at Banff aren't bad, henrye. They're pretty rugged in fact, aren't they. I'm not sure they resemble Thompson's original creations though. Not sure, I haven't really studied any old photos of the course.

As far as Banff's "ranking" is concerned, everyone has their preference. It's the flattest of Thompson's "top 5", which might knock it a few steps down in my book. And I think the course has a few more indifferent holes than Jasper, St. George's, Highlands Links and Capilano. I could be wrong though.

If Westmount were in excellent architectural condition, I might even prefer it to Banff - scenery aside of course! Maybe not though...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 04:50:03 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 06:44:29 PM »
Jeff Mingay,

You say Cooke is not the only architect willing to work in Quebec. However, besides Pat Ruddy(Ile de Montreal) and Tom McBroom(Tremblant) I don't think anyone ever gets hired to work here. Graham Cooke gets all the jobs!! I swear, if I see another Cooke course open in Montreal I might just die. He probbaly has 25 to 30 courses in the greater Montreal area, it's just sick. Tell Mr. Whitman to come this way  ;D
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Robert Thompson

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 07:56:27 PM »
Actually, Tom Fazio has been hired to work on Gord Stollery's new course in Montreal (Gord is the owner of Angus Glen near Toronto.) The course is being developed to host the Canadian Open....

Like Carrick and McBroom have done too much in Toronto, Huxam and Cooke have done too much work in the Montreal area.

Nice to mix it up some.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 08:04:04 PM »
You're right Matt, Quebec's in need of some diversity. Find a developer, resort owner or club in the province to hire Rod, and trust me, he'll be there, anxious to get started!
jeffmingay.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2004, 09:37:29 PM »
Robert,
Ya i know about the Fazio course, it might have been site specific amnesia.

Jeff,
Actually you don't want to come here, all the land in Montreal is flat and boring. If only you could convince the government to turn that giant park on Mount Royal into a golf course.  ;D
Or come renovate ours, as the club seems to be destroying anything that was once good about it. However me being 21 and all, I dont think i have much pull  :(
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Robert Thompson

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2004, 11:04:11 PM »
Matt: Tried sending you an IM, without luck. What club are you playing at in Montreal?

R

Philippe Binette

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2004, 05:06:02 PM »
can you name another one

I know Fazio will work on the RCGA National, Couples worked at Tremblant...

Robert Thompson

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »
Phillipe: I agree there are few architects working in Quebec aside from Cooke. Ian Andrew, one of Carrick's lead guys, does a lot of reno work there. Not sure why Carrick and Mcbroom haven't done more.... any thoughts?

Robert

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »
McBroom just worked on Mount Bruno, right. Haven't seen the finished product, but I pray it's not Ottawa Hunt Part II.

I take comfort though, McBroom's website states that Willie Park, Jr. would have approved of his work at Mount Bruno were he alove today. (Someone in McBroom's office must have a direct line to Heaven!)
jeffmingay.com

Robert Thompson

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2004, 05:47:30 PM »
Jeff: I actually thought Tom's work at Bruno was subtle -- removed a lot of trees and didn't appear to tinker with the greens. It is a terrific course -- would like to play it again in order to evaluate it.

The line about Park approving is interesting -- we should start a thread about the craziest stuff architects have boasted about. How many times have some architects talked about working, "on the best piece of land I've ever seen"?

Robert

Matt Kardash

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2004, 07:20:07 PM »
Robert, I actually got your IM and replied

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2004, 09:05:20 AM »
Your report on Mount Bruno is encouraging, Rob. I'd really like to see the course, post-McBroom, someday.

As for silly things golf architects have said, claiming Willie Park Jr. would have approved of the modernization-type work you've done at two of his original designs ranks up there.

Ottawa Hunt is... geez, I'll shut up  :-X
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:05:48 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back