News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re:Did ANGC mislocate their clubhouse ?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2004, 07:50:44 PM »
As much as I think having Golden Bell (12) as the second last hole of the day would make play even more exiting, there is more to lose than gain byaltering the routing. I'd love to see even more pressure for good decisions and exacting play on that tee, and one down with two to play would certainly create that.

I think that this is undone not only by splitting 13 and 15, but also placing Firethorn (15) so early in the round. It would rarely be an option to go for the green in two, if the hole were the second of the day. I appreciate the difficult third this leaves but still think that the hole is better played later in the round.

I very much like how there are shot-swinging holes in the middle of the back nine, and how the last three holes demand nerve and execution to either hold a lead, or peg back someone who is a shot or two ahead. The comment on the need for a cut on 18 (mentioned above) is pertinent.

Questioning where the clubhouse is situated on the site also probably verges too far into the design side of things, and too far from viewing a golf club as a hell of a lot more than just 18 strategic tracts of land.  Anyone who has sat in that clubhouse, or stood in front of it, and survey the valley below, with the sun setting, would never dream of changing anything, despite the fun involved when thinking of different routings.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2004, 07:57:35 PM »
Jaka B,

You'll have to wait until the anesthesia wears off.

tonyt

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2004, 04:03:43 PM »
The #13 through #12 routing sounds fun. Sounds awesome. Let's do it. Let me see it for a year, because it would be absorbing to take in, and an enjoyable once-off event. (forget the logistics  :))

Then put it back the way it is and never change it again please.

Discounting The Masters for a moment, any Matchplay format used by the club would result in holes 11-15 or 11-16 being the common finishing holes, with #17 being utilised by less than half the matches, and #18 fewer still.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back