News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Organic Golf Course maintenance
« on: June 17, 2003, 12:01:59 PM »
I toured The Vineyard Club on Martha's Vineyard last week. It is a new Donald Steele course and very nice. The course is maintained with organic materials only. Does anyone else know of clubs in america doing this? Oh yes it was in great shape.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Michael Dugger

Re: Organic Golf Course maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 04:00:57 PM »
The only other one I've heard of for sure that is a course of quality is Pete Dye's The Honors.  I believe David Stone has tinkered with goose dung and the like.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 07:17:50 PM »
I believe that The Bridge made some concessions with The Group For The South Fork when they got permitting, as it sat on some sort of spring that feeds the wells in the neighborhood. I can't say that it is Organic though. Also whe Peter Smith of The Shinnecock Indian tribe was the greenskeeper at Shinnecock, I believe he tried to keep it as natural as possible.

Sadly, Peter was fired shortly after the Shinnecocks filed a lawsuit against Shinnecock Hills Golf Club to take back their land. Peter was one of the signatures on the lawsuit, was fired shortly thereafter and has subsequently died. Peter was the super at the last Open

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 09:48:19 PM »
Tiger,
       Clear Lake GC in Riding Mountain National Park (Manitoba, Canada) does not use any chemicals whatsoever in their maintenance practices. I'm not sure if it is by law or by choice, but from what I've been told, it does frequently take the course a little longer to recover from the harsh Canadian winters. Ultimately, this practice works with a little extra care and patience.  

Tyler Kearns

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 09:04:10 AM »
I can understand keeping the fertility strong with organic applications.  But what happens if fungus, insects or other problems attack the course.  Are there Organic/natural ways to fight pests and infestations?

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 08:08:33 PM »
;D

Beware of the source material origin.. real big issues at play with pathogens and streptococci if drinking water is near.. and in regards to fighting the microbe stuff, then don't forget potential impacts from growth hormones and antibiotics..

After all, chemicals are chemicals are chemicals and any can contaminate groundwater if the vector is right and conditions allow.

Beware of farmer Jack or chemical mack no matter what.. protect the fresh groundwater.

;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back