News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

WEIRd day at Augusta
« on: April 13, 2003, 08:32:24 PM »
You have to admit that it was a wierd day at Augusta though.  

Tiger blowing his brains out on public TV....

And Jeff Maggert had enough things happen to him in one day to last most peoples career!!!  After getting hit by his own ball to come back to -4 and only one shot out of the lead was unbelievable then he makes the 8 at #12 and you finally figure he has mercifully been put out of his misery, and will just go quietly.....But no he goes on to birdie three holes in a row coming in.  What GUTS!!!!!!  Ive never been a Maggert fan one way or another, but he proved some things to me today.

Then we finally get to Weir & Mattice the main characters left on the stage when the final acts played out.  Weir, what a gentleman, and a great champion.  (Although he wasnt my first choice for a lefthanded player that I wanted to win going into this tournament).  And Len Mattice showed some raw emotions in the follow up interviews.  Here is a guy that showed what it must feel like to play your heart out and then come up short.  I have found a new place in my thoughts to root for him going forward as well.

But over all I would say that you have to say that the day was WEIRd!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I wish I could patent that headline as I am sure some other clever writer is going to use that for a newspaper headline somewhere.  "WEIRd day at Augusta"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Evan Fleisher

Re: WEIRd day at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 06:57:24 AM »
Agree completely Turboe...we left the house for some swim-time just as Eldrick made his fatefull swing on the #3 teebox.  When we returned home and he was 3-over I nearly fell onto the floor!

What a day for Mattice...he would have had it if it had not been for his wild swing on the 18th tee.  Weir showed tremendous guts and composure coming down the stretch holing putt after saving putt and knowing exactly what he needed to do.  His play on #15 (laying up) was bold, smart, and I think ultimately won him the tournament.

Great theatre...but truly WEIRD as you say.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:06:51 AM »

And Jeff Maggert had enough things happen to him in one day to last most peoples career!!!  After getting hit by his own ball to come back to -4 and only one shot out of the lead was unbelievable then he makes the 8 at #12 and you finally figure he has mercifully been put out of his misery, and will just go quietly.....But no he goes on to birdie three holes in a row coming in.  What GUTS!!!!!!  Ive never been a Maggert fan one way or another, but he proved some things to me today.

RIGHT ON BROTHER TURBOE!  I just said this to someone else... I too never cared much for Maggert - just too deadpan, no color, too conservative, you know - but I am now a Maggert fan without a doubt.  That sucker is TOUGH.  We need him for every Ryder Cup team we can ever get him on... and come to think of it, he's always done pretty well in the RC, hasn't he?

Mike Weir also is a damn tough competitor - great to see him get a major.  

I also loved Feherty's "Oh Canada" shout when Weir stuck it on 15.  Anyone else care about that?  

TH

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 07:21:08 AM »

I'm sure that Bob Charles knows who the first lefty to win a major was.  Weir will just have to settle for being the first Canadian.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 07:21:19 AM »
Aw hell, I just thought it was kinda neat.  It was definitely no

MAYBE..... YES SIR!

But then, what is?

As for Weir, he's always gonna be left-handed and he's (God willing) always going to be Canadian.  Both things are unique on the bland as can be PGA Tour.  NOT to harp on such would be weird to me!

First Canadian to win a major... first lefty in nearly 40 years... it would be pretty silly not to do a little harping on this, shivas me boy....  ;)

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 07:37:09 AM »
I think we should invade Canada so we can get Weir on the next Ryder Cup team.  As an added bonus it will probably really piss off the French......

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 07:41:19 AM »
Hell of an idea, Rich.  Of course the South Park guys already tried this... Blame Canada!

Weir is tough as nails... was there any doubt he'd win the playoff?  I mean, I feel for Mattiace also, and sudden-death is a crapshoot, but tough is gonna beat happy go lucky any day of the week with real pressure on.

TH

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 07:42:04 AM »
Rich,
When you say "we" do you mean the Scots?

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 07:57:34 AM »
Ben

I'm getting more AC/DC on this citizenship thing these days, so it doesn't really make any difference to me whether the US or Scotland invades Canada.  In either case the Ryder Cup will be the better for it with his participation, and we will have rid the world of yet another annoyingly independent-minded country.  Of course, having Scotland invade would be a lot cheaper and less bloody.  Just send over a bunch of pipers and fiddlers and a few comedians and the vast majority of the Canadian population will start singing "Flower of Scotland" and saying "Eh?" before you know it, even in Quebec......

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 08:10:18 AM »
Huck, Your first instincts were correct. Maggert is the way you saw him bc he is an AGGIE! Only an aggie would blade a wedge into the bank of a sand trap and have it hit him during the final round at Augusta. I was impressed with his staying power and focus. Aggies do that well, but when you need clutch, they have holes like 12. Remember Vijay and Toms made the same shot and stayed dry on 12. The chunk on the next shot was just icing on the cake for the Texas Longhorns of the world.

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 08:15:14 AM »
Love it, Tiger!  Rest assured I was and am well aware of Toms' "heritage" and was rooting for him most definitely on your behalf.

I was heretofore unaware of Maggert's alma mater... that does complicate things... but I do have no dog in this fight, as they say, though I do enjoy the shit-giving!  ;)

TH

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 08:45:35 AM »

Apparently Toms or Vijay caddies did not do a very good job of cleaning up the bunker because Weir commented that it was a mess, some sort of trench was there and left Maggert with a horrible lie. Maggert was only an Aggie for part of his college career, he went to Oklahoma State for a while before then. Before they were the Cowboys it was Oklahoma A & M Aggies though.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 08:46:48 AM »
Oh Tom oh Tom, how wrong you are. There are Aggies and then there are the rest of us. The horns have first pick for seats at the hate Aggie table, then the rest of us are in line. LSU and the other Texas schools are next then katie bar the door for the world was a shot at them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back