News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

South Hampton GC by Raynor ?
« on: April 13, 2003, 07:22:39 PM »
...good course?...well preserved,well maintained?..history of?
   any info on?
   thanks

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

bstark

Re: South Hampton GC by Raynor ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »
 1925 Raynor track with a very local membership. Short (6300 from the back tees), fast greens, alot of wind. Course has been altered significantly over the years. Too many trees, many bunkers have been either eliminated or altered, 7th hole (classic Redan) recently butchered. Hopefully renovations are on the way. My good friend George Bahto took a tour last year and could do wonderful things in a sympathetic restoration.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Mike_Sweeney

Re: South Hampton GC by Raynor ?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 03:18:32 PM »
Paul,

As a frequent guest at Southampton GC, I consistently rate this this course #1 on my list of most overlooked golf courses. As you may be aware, the six hole is attached to Shinnecock, so it often gets overlooked due to its proximity to Shinnecock and National. The greens are awesome and for the most part are intact, and they are classic Raynor. They are always in great shape, and they get a fair amount of play. They often have US Open qualifiers there, and par (70) holds up very well despite its shortish length.

Scott B posted an Aerial of the Day at one point, but I could not find it on a search. As Brian mentions, it does get a little pinched from the trees on 8 and 9 and it would be great to see them get George in to do some work on the bunkers. Probably the best and toughest hole on the course is the long Par 4 4th. It reminds me of a Yale type of hole, with no fairway bunkers, but the placement of the tee ball depends on the rolling land, which can kick the ball forward and right into the rough. Green sits on a site up a steep hill with "the highway" as OB behind and a big nasty deep bunker on the right. There are some "basic holes" throughout, but a very fun course to play.

The membership has beeen known to have a beer or two after a round of golf, and one of my most memorable days of golf was 2 days before my wedding, 18 over at Shinnecock, and then cocktails over at Southampton using up my friend's minimum  :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back