News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

Short game practice area
« on: June 18, 2003, 07:08:14 PM »
What do you like, and dislike, in a short game practice area? I like a varity of bunker shots, deep, shallow, uphill, downhill. I like uneven lies, I like a green big enough and serpentine enough that 4 or 5 players can practice shots. How long of a shot should you allow? 30, 40, 50 yds? What else?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Steve Lang

Re: Short game practice area
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 07:50:54 PM »
Don,

My votes:

1.  sand that's consistent (texture and packing) with that in the course bunkers.  So I can see how the ball comes out per different wedges/shots..

2.  no different depths needed unless there's something really unique out on the course

3.  wide sand area so i can throw out a small bucket of balls and experience the variety

4.  no more than 30 yard shots needed, perhaps to dedicated area with a backstop net or fence

:)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 09:04:04 PM »
Don, why do you ask?  Are you contemplating constructing something different at your course and sampling various player preferences?  How many of your players consider your course, their regular or home course.  I think that if you have a large clientel of regulars, it is worth the extra expense to have a nice short game practice area.  If you have a nice range, and nice putting green and short game area, I could imagine that you could promote that as a stand alone profit center where it is appealing for your regulars to spend some cash just to come out and practice.  It is great if you have the room.  Put a soft drink machine near the tee line too... ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 04:22:42 AM »
RJ,
Yes, we may be building a short game practice area. West Texas A & M University is located within a 1/2 mile of our course. They have a Division II golf program and teach golf in their PE program. We would be developing this area with them as partners and times would be blocked out for their use of the area. Our range is fairly small and we need to use limited flight balls, but we have a 2 acre site near the clubhouse that would be perfect for a short game area. We would also use the area for junior clinics and as an area to give lessons teaching the short game.
We are averaging about 125 players a day during the week and close to 200 on weekends. We started in Oct. with 10 members and we are now close to 150, so we do have quite a few regulars that may use this area.

Hope to see you in Sep. Don
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

David Wigler

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 04:58:45 AM »
Don,

Bruce Matthews presented our club with one of the best sets of drawings I have ever seen for a short game area.  It is truly fantastic.  I am not sure if it is cool to post more without Bruce's approval, so I will send him a quick e-mail.  You might want to give him a call.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

James Edwards

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 08:02:30 AM »
Steve,

I appreciate why you have said points 1 and 2 with respects to practicing your courses particular conditions.

but, my question is "What about the players at the club who want to practice in different types of texture and packing and different depths".  

This is important for all the players at the club who play neighbouring clubs in friendlies or outside competitions whose courses have different playing characteristics.

I design short game areas quite regulary and definately the key to a successful short game area is location to the clubhouse, and variety of shots to play.  We must make practicing fun otherwise the majority of people just walk to the first tee.

Don,

I agree.  The variety of bunker shots is important as is the whole spectrum of shot making from inside 100 yards (or whatever you regard as short game)  I personally say if you have the space, 100 yard short game areas are a great edition to any golf practice ground.

I like to introduce mounds and hollows into the design of the bunker green complex of varying heights and depths.

Also, chip and run greens should be a separate entity as the condition of the green should be of a better standard than the bunker green IMO.

Putting greens should be compulsory in this area with good contouring with good balance between flat and breaking putts of all lengths up to say 75 - 100ft.
@EDI__ADI

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back