News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

Augusta Advice
« on: March 31, 2003, 08:17:59 PM »
(Added 4/15)
Just wanted to thank all those who gave me advice. Took much of it and had an awesome day.

Through work I was able to hook up with a group and we got a tour of the course with Lou Graham. That was fantastic, got there about 9 am and walked the course with him for 2 hours. He's a character and knew the course very well. Great line ' I always say I'm a master's champion and then mumble the Par 3 part'.  We then hit the driving range bought our shirts, etc and took them to the car. Walked the first 6 holes with some of the early groups and got some pimento cheese and egg salad sammys.

We poistioned ourselves behind 2 to watch the leaders come in and saw alot of birdies. Saw Mickelson's unbelieveable 'Up and Down' which we thought was an eagle. The pin looked incredibly tough but player after player hit it tight. Tigers shot into that green was incredible, that really showed me just how much better he is than everybody else. We watched 10 -12 groups on the final day of a Major and his two shots were so much better than anybody else's we saw it's scary. We then saw him miss three fairway by about 70 yards as well but nobody's perfect.

Amazingly people started leaving 2 even before Maggert and Weir had gotten there.

We then spent some time at 10 and made our way to the corner. I was amazed all day at the ability to see things if you wanted to. It must be all the old farts sitting in the stands but we walked right up by 11 and 12 greens and had an awesome view there. Watched Mattiace birdie 12 and decided to follow him for a while. Walked right up to where the balls land at 13 and saw him hit it up and make eagle (thru my Binocs -- good call on those). Watched a few groups from there and headed to 15 to see Mattiace come thru. Stayed there for the rest of the groups and when Weir stuffed it and Mattiace bogeyed 18 we headed for 10 knowing we couldn't get within 100 yds of 18. Worked out perfect as we were just inside the ropes for the playoff 40 feetf rom the hole on the right side of the green. I will try to post some reflections on the course later but it was anamazing day. I bet I walked 20 miles and that terrain is something else. My legs are really hurting today and I was exhausted afterwards.

Greatest 'sporting' day of my life-- exceeded my expectations by 1000%.

Thanks,
Buck

A friend from Atlanta has come through with a ticket to Sunday at the Masters for me. As this will be my first trip to Magnolia Lane I'm looking for advice as to what to see, where the best vantage points are, any must see items, where to park, what to eat, you name it. I'd like to combine the golf spectating with any architectural items I might be able to pick up from behind the ropes.

My thought is to get there as early as possible and try to find an interesting group or two going off early and bounce around the front with them.  Any holes there I should pay particular attention to?

At some point I'd like to find a spot on Amen corner where I could watch a couple holes and wait for the leaders to come through. My guess is after that it'll be a matter of jumping ahead a few holes and waiting but I have no idea how crowded it'll be.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

CjM111

Re: Augusta Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 08:54:40 PM »
Buck,

Congratulations....you are in for a treat.  A ticket for Sunday is great, however, it is most likely the day that is the worst for being a spectator.  I have been fortunate to have been to about 25 or so Masters over the past years, and I always go early in the week and get home in time to watch the weekend on television, where I can really see.

That being said.  If you drive down Washington until you get close to the entrance to the club, then turn on any of the perpendicular streets away from the club, you should be able to park in one of the neighbor's yards for about $10 to $15 for the day.  Arrive as early as you wish, but no one gets in before 7 AM.  Take a small seat with you, like a campfire seat.  When you get on the grounds, make your way right away to the green area at 15 and park your seat with some of the others who have been doing this for years.  Your seat should be safe for hours.  It's amazing.  

You can then find a couple of groups to go out early with.  My advice is to find someone whom you enjoy watching and walt the entire front nine with them.  If you do so, you will probably see a part of the golf course that half the people who go to The Masters never see...the fifth green.  

Then, find your group that you want to watch and pick them up at nine.  Stay a half shot ahead of the group.  In other words be in the landing zone for the drive, then go to the green for the approach shot.  Watch the first putt, then to the landing area for the next hole, etc. til you get to your seat at 15 and sit with a cold beer, a pimento cheese sandwich and enjoy the rest of the groups coming through.  

Trust me, it will be crowded, even if it rains.  It is a lifetime experience and you will be amazed at the elevation changes.  You never see them on television.  Believe me when the announcers say they are walking up 18, they are walking up 18.  

As far as architectural studies are concerned, spend time studying the routing.  It is very interesting...study the contouring around the greens and the slopes for some of the second shots.  It is a very interesting golf course, even if it has changed since Mr. Jones originally commissioned it back in 1932.

Have a great trip.  P. S.  The egg salad is good, too.  You will be pleasantly surprised when you learn that you can get a sandwich for $.75 and a Coke for the same.  They may be $1 this year, but it is the best bargain in food in golf.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Gary_Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 09:02:28 PM »
Buck,

Walking into ANGC the first time to watch a practice day gave me a feeling that I've never had attending any other sporting event. (and I've been to quite a few US Opens, championship fights, big football games, etc)

That glorious, understated West Indies style clubhouse, the much more golf savvy crowd than normal, the great oaks behind the clubhouse where the movers and shakers sit, etc, etc. Sunday will probably be more crowded than a practice day, but your idea of going early to scout the course by following the early groups sounds right to me. Then work your way back in front of the clubhouse to the practice tee, bordered by Magnolia Lane, to watch the leaders warm up and try the "shot ahead" method of following your chosen group when they go out. Some of the shots I've enjoyed watching are the teeshots at the two front nine par 3s, #4 and #6. The second shot into #8 if the player can reach is interesting.That second shot into #10, with the great pines behind the green is one I've enjoyed watching. Amen Corner will probably be crowded, but I enjoyed being as close behind #12 tee as possible, and then walking up to the player's right of #13 fairway to be near where their teeshot finishes, and to see what they do on the second shot. 14 green is very interesting, and of course the second shot into 15 green is one to watch. Good luck finding a spot anywhere near 16 green. You will probably be surprised at the elevation changes in the course, especially going up the 18th.

The food and drink is very reasonable at the course. Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Hunt

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 05:01:35 AM »
Buck,

I was there Sunday last year and like the idea of walking the front nine early in the day.

The trick is the back nine on Sunday. I recommend good quality binoculars and hang out at the aforementioned area on #13 Fairway where tee shots land. You can see the tee shots from #12 and putts with the binocs and then by standing on #13, you can see the decisions to lay up or go.

I was scratching my head when Els tried to take a line through the trees after he pulled his drive left that subsequently cost him any shot of taking Tiger here.

After the lead groups left 13; we walked over to 16 and then  straight for 18. Even about an hour before the leaders got there, the crowd was 20 deep around the green.

As far as shopping goes-get there early, buy what you want, return it to your car and get on with the day.

My Dad and I went together and it was an amazing day. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to hear the roars of the crowd throughout the back as a tightly contested finish built to a crescendo.

Enjoy, Buck!

jim_lewis

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 05:33:56 AM »
Buck:

If I could go the Maters only one day, I would always choose Sunday. If you could only see 1 quarter of a football game, wouldn't you choose the 4th?  I have not missed a Masters since 1966 and only twice have I missed being there on Sunday. The leaders don't go off until about 2:30pm, and only then does it start to get crowded, especially as all of the gallery gets concentrated on the last few holes. Still, you can see most of the important shots if you are willing to work at it.

I assume you have three goals: See the course, enjoy the atmosphere, and watch the tournament. All can be accomplished on Sunday.  Here are a few of my suggestions>

If you are approaching Augusta on I-20, ignore all directional signs until you get to the Washington Road exit.  As you drive up Washington Rd. you will encounter many invitations to park. Don't park too soon. Wait until you reach the large water tower and then be sure and park on the left side of Washington Rd.  It will be much easier to get out later. Take a jacket, an umbrella, binoculars, a towel, and dry clothes. No coolers, radios, cameras, or cell phones are allowed. Binoculars are a must on Sunday. Not so much to follow play, but to see the scoreboards from a distance. If there is any chance of rain, take your umbrella and a jacket with you. There are check stands around the course. Check your jacket and umbrella when you first arrive so that it will be accessible if you need it. Also, if you plan to buy any souveniers, buy them early and check them. Some merchandise sells out, and the shops will be even more crowded late in the day.  I recommend the check stand at the top of the hill below the 18th and 8th tees.   Why dry clothes?  You only have to drive home soaking wet once to understand.

Walk as much of the course as you can early. It will be less crowed and when the leaders get on the course you will tend to focus on the back nine.  Some folks, especially older ones, like to sit and watch players pass through. It all depends on your physical condition, but I encourage you to stay on the move. If necessary, take it easy in the morning, and be ready to work when the leaders get to the back nine.

Thankfully, everyone has their favorite vantage points. Otherwise everyone would be in the same spot. Here are mine.

When you first arrive, take time to visit the practice areas and walk around the front of the clubhouse and down to the par 3 course. There won't be time later.  I don't spend much time watching the players hit balls.  You can do that at any tour stop.  If you know a writer, see if you can arrange to have him take you through the press "tent".  If so, do that early.

I enjoy watching second shots into par 5's, if they are reachable in two.  My favorite spot in all the world is along the ropes on #13.  You can no longer get access to the right side of #15, but you get a good view from the top of the hill on the left. From there, you can also see play on #16.  Check out #2 and #8 early. If the pin is right on #2 and the wind is not hurting, you can see some exciting shots into that green. Otherwise, it is now a routine 3-shotfive par , since they lenghtened it again.  Same with #8. If the pin is back, as it usually is on Sunday, it is a routine 3-shot hole.  Watch some approach shots from behind the 7th and 14th greens. You won't believe those greens.  You can watch shots into the 11th green and the entire 12th hole from the hill (or bleachers) behind the 12th tee. Spend some time between the 3rd green and the 4th tee.  It gets crowded in the afternoon, but is a great vantage point. And yes, make the trip up #5 and back down #6. If you want to see play on #18, see it early.  It is very unlikely that you will see much as the leaders approach. If you want to see the last groups putt out there, your only chance is from the mound right of the green.

As suggested before, stay in front of the goup you are watching. Leap frog occasionally to stay out front.

The course, the tournament, and the atmosphere are great, but the most outstanding thing you will find there are the food concessions. All sandwiches are fresh, tasty, and rediculously inexpensive.

Enjoy

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Robert Kimball

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 05:56:33 AM »
After years of practice rounds, I believe I have finally secured a Saturday pass.  That will be sweet.  

As far as parking, I believe they still offer free parking to patrons (at least until the lot fills).  If memory serves me right, one lot is located near gate 3.  

My requests to bring back gifts are not shirts, hats, programs, etc. --- everyone begs me to bring back pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches (they were $1 back in '99).

My favorite hole to watch -- 16.  That green has to be seen in person to be believed. ESPECIALLY on Sunday.  What a fantastic green complex (as well as 14).

And, don't worry guys, I will be sure to say hi to Martha on behalf of the GCA discussion board!!!! ;) ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 06:18:21 AM »
From the bleachers behind the 8th green you can watch action on the first green as well as the tee shots on the 9th.  I also like watching approaches to the third and tee shots at the fourth - two highly underated golf holes.

Have a fabulous time.

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Martin_Powell

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 06:51:17 AM »
seven and eight greens are good spots to watch their short games...ten tee is a good spot to watch them try to shape a drive....thirteen and fifteen for the drama of going at it in two.

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 07:05:17 AM »
Buck,

The drama of the Masters usually plays out on 13 and 15 on Sunday.  I would walk every hole in the morning and then settle in on one of those holes as the leaders come through the two par fives in the late-afternoon.  There is a grand stand to the right of the 13th green.  You can see the approach shots, all the action near and on the green...and then see them tee-off on 14.

Try and walk the par three course if you can....it is worth it.

Have a great time.  Sunday at Augusta is the best golf theatre in the world.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 07:37:08 AM »
I hope to attend two days of practice rounds this year. I am excited as you are. thanks for the advice from those of you who have walked this most wonderful of paths before.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 08:00:12 AM »
This question came up a eon ago on another board. On what hole is the only palm tree on the grounds?

derrickp

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 11:36:19 AM »
It's in the woods behind 4 green.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 05:11:15 PM »
Buck:

A couple of suggestions ...

GET THERE E-A-R-L-Y TO PARK !!! What's early -- I would suggest being on Washington Road no later than 7-8 AM.

*Head over to the parking circle in front of the clubhouse and get a picture of yourself standing next to the "map" of the USA with the flagstick centered in Augusta.

*One thing to avoid -- unless you get there VERY EARLEY avoid the merchandise areas because the long lines really defeat the purpose in seeing the property. Don't burn daylight -- let someone else pick something up for you.

*Stop by the practice area, grab a good seat in the bleachers and watch the world's best prepare themselves for the final round.

*Your first adventure on the course has to be with the 10th hole. You will be amazed by the amount of pitch there is to the property.

*Walk back to the new championship tee at the 11th. The shoot effect you see on TV is quite tame compared to the human eye.

*Stand at the elbow of the 13th and visualize how demanding the tee shot really is to get home in two now.

*Venture to the 14th green because you will see a green that is truly unique and still true to its roots. The 15th tee is also nearby.

*One of the better areas to watch multiple shots -- stand near the corner of the 6th and 16th holes. You get to see both par-3's without moving too much.

*Last but not least -- stand near the back of the 18th and just wonder how the players hit tee shots from such a narrow alleyway and most important -- WALK THE UPHILL WALK TO THE CLUBHOUSE -- it's much steeper than many realize because TV often flattens things on the screen.

Enjoy yourself -- being at Augusta on Sunday is a real treat for any golfer.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 08:10:31 PM »
Thanks much for all the advice, knowing some of the logistical ropes should help a bunch. I feel like I kid waiting for Christmas. Hopefully Jack and Arnie will make the cut or at least it won't be a double digit win by TW. I would like to have time to swing by and give Martha my best but I'm not sure where the protesters will be. Can't wait for an egg salad sandwich -- one of my all time favorites.

One thing I was curious about is how long after the tournament is over do they start moving you to the gates, more importantly when do they release the hounds onto the grounds.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Buck Wolter

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 08:24:22 AM »
Just wanted to bring my edit on the original to the top.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back