News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re:Oakmont photos
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2003, 04:04:42 PM »
TE Paul

His list:

#1 –shot to green, #3- shot to green, #4- second shot to green (par 5, so this does not count to me), #7- shot to green, #9- tee shot and shot to green if pin is right, #10- tee shot, #16-tee shot, #17 –tee shot.

Speaking of Indiana -Go Colts

As Tom P & Forrest indicated, these aren't what is normally referred to as blind shots - I like Forrest's term of blind surfaces. Particularly in the case of calling #9 approach to a right pin, wow, that's calling any pin behind a bunker lip blind.

I think also that you must mean 15 & not 16 tee shot, as 16 is a midlength par 3.

Most of the blind surfaces are not fronted by bunkers, so I think that at least partially mitigates the blindness. #1, 3 and 10 this is true, 4 & 7 mostly true. 4 isn't blind for most mortals, as not a lot of us will go for the green on a 617 yard par 5.

I definitely wouldn't call the approach to #3 blind. If so, one would be calling any uphill approach blind. I guess it's more blind if you drive it to the right off the tee, but my recollection is that a tee shot to the left side of the fairway allows one to see the green. Of course, Trip Keuhne drove it over the ridge, a carry of reputedly some 320+ yards, to ensure that his approach to #3 wasn't blind - though I think he only did this in the practice round.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2003, 04:43:41 PM »
Jack re-built the green and they finished the entire area, including the Sahara trap. The trap stayed in location.  They also built a forward tee at the same time.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

T_MacWood

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2003, 11:26:35 PM »
George
Nice job. I think the black and white pictures might bring the contours out a little better.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »
also bumping for people who haven't seen 'em.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back