News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Willie_Dow

Maintenance vs Architecture
« on: December 12, 2003, 08:48:39 PM »
There is an element of conflict here.  Should the budget for maintenance outweigh the conflict for the maintenance of the archicture?

stovepipe

Re:Maintenance vs Architecture
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 09:27:13 PM »
Will.

It all depend's how much "dosh" you have.
   And how determined you are.

But Golf courses dont come cheap, good one's are expensive, great ones, need i say, loads of dosh

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 03:00:17 AM »
For a course that is a CCFAD, or a top 100, or even just a course with alot of money and high expectations (Deepdale, Piping Rock, Old Marsh, Husdon National, etc....) a $1,000,000+ budget isn't really anything to balk at anymore. I know of courses that are $1.9 million and over....it's really amazing how expenseive it is to maintain a course.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 09:02:55 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 05:11:19 AM »
The best way to handle it would be to have a budget for general maintenance & a separate budget for architectural maintenance & restoration.

Only courses with a certain history would need to bother.

Steve Curry

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 07:58:29 AM »
Maintenance of architecture should be the theme of a courses budget,  both operating and capital.  Maintaining the course should be synonymous with maintaining its architecture.  It can take a long term commitment to restore lost architectural elements and if affordable architecture should not be denigrated for the sake of easier maintenance.
Regards,
Steve

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 09:06:51 AM »
By the way, if you want to know the architect, who, in my opinion, fights hardest for the integrity of restoration architecture to not be compromised at the expense of maintenance considerations it would be Ron Prichard. He can be a tiger out there in this area sometimes. In the area of maintenance vs architecture Ron Prichard fights hard on the side of architecture.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 09:53:32 AM »
The question raises interesting perspectives to the work done by the original architect.

Maybe there should be a top and bottom list of golf courses that represents the best and worst in relation to costs to maintain the architecture of the course?

It would be expected that the modern archie would have an edge , if he learned from the mistakes of those before him/her. But, I wonder.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003, 10:05:45 AM »
The required maintenance starts in the original design.  I am not sure the modern course has learned from the past.  I know that during the depression many design elements were removed such as bunkers and you could stillplay the courses but we have many new designs out there where the shaping etc dictates a maintenance budget that cannot be "backed off" and still be playable.  
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 11:05:56 PM »
Steve

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 11:08:40 PM »
Sorry Steve, but you and Tom are together on this one.  Vague as I may seem was correctly read.

Willie

Brian Phillips

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 02:36:24 PM »
Willie,

One of the jokes I throw at greenkeepers when arguing about bunker maintenance.

What is the perfect golf course for a greenkeeper?

Flat bunkers and no golfers..

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 02:55:36 PM »
Willie,
I have seen many "restorations" where the architect decided to not flash bunkers that should have been at least particially flashed, to keep maintenance costs down.  Not much you can do if the club dictates what they want.  How hard the architect pushed to flash them, we'll never know.  Most "give the client" what they want.  It's the old saying, "The customer is always right".  I wonder if that applies in golf architecture as it does in other businesses?  
Mark

Willie_Dow

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 07:33:04 PM »
When I look at the Cobbs Creek thread I wonder what Tom Paul reads into this bewilderment!

Willie_Dow

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 09:03:37 PM »
Brian

Thanks for the reply.  I think of you often, with your buddy.  And I still want to send you the photo of #4.  But I just haven't learned.  Yes, maintenance has become a computer adjustment vs long term maintenance, just like Enron, but I'm concerned with the outcome.  We, in golf, are victims of the what has been delivered.  The outcome is the product!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back