News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Cross country golf
« on: April 16, 2024, 04:41:31 AM »
Worth watching - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNHGbjrtwyM

A couple of points .. there are more …

Cross country golf is fun when there’s nobody else around.
Elite players playing a hole of this extended length is the near equivalent of lessor players and short hitters playing standard holes from the usual tees or tees that are too far back (except of course that elite players are brilliant and lessor players decidedly less so)
Be nice to see the clifftop par-4 at Renaissance played as a risk/reward short par-4 at the Scottish Open.

Atb

Mark_Fine

Re: Cross country golf
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 07:59:12 AM »
Thomas,
Cool video and good points you make.  Also great example of why hazards are truly the essence of golf.  What made that hole fun and exciting for those guys to play was the path they had to figure out as they navigated over and around the hazards. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 08:06:22 AM »

Be nice to see the clifftop par-4 at Renaissance played as a risk/reward short par-4 at the Scottish Open.

It almost was, last year, playing downwind with the strong westerlies.  There were several guys who tried to rope one onto the green, though I didn't see anyone make it.  If they played the normal men's tee they would have a shot at it, but because it comes right in between two par-3 holes, the pace of play issues probably give them pause.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 01:30:26 AM »
I'm probably not the first one to think of this, but I have an idea to try to play cross-country from 1 tee at NB to 18 green at Gullane 1. The idea would be:

Play NB to the far end of the course
Hug the coast and pick up at Archerfield
Play across Archerfield and hit across to Renaissance
Play across Renaissance and hit across to Muirfield
Play across Muirfield to around the 2nd tee
Hit across the park at Gullane beach and up the hill
Play to around the 8th at Gullane 1 and try to get it around the hill and back down to hole out at 18.

I think it would be a neat charity event, but I'd need to think about logistics and probably get the council involved, which is probably more work than I can muster at the moment. Perhaps next year, or soon thereafter :)

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 03:30:31 AM »
I'm probably not the first one to think of this, but I have an idea to try to play cross-country from 1 tee at NB to 18 green at Gullane 1. The idea would be:

Play to around the 8th at Gullane 1 and try to get it around the hill and back down to hole out at 18.

I think it would be a neat charity event, but I'd need to think about logistics and probably get the council involved, which is probably more work than I can muster at the moment. Perhaps next year, or soon thereafter :)

Better plan for easterly wind or you will be persona non grata in East Lothian. 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 07:17:11 AM »

Why not 18 green at Luffness New?  I guess they'd probably say no.

This sounds like a neat idea for the European Tour to do one of their videos, but it might take too long for their format.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 08:46:02 AM »
Jamie Kennedy did a "cross country" round on the East Lothian coastline last year, playing 18 holes on 18 courses.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jamie-kennedy-plays-50-mile-18-hole-golf-course-scotland

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 09:04:47 AM »

Not quite the same but I've heard that Mike Hutton of Tantallon GC played along the beach from Gullane to North Berwick for charity many moons ago.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 01:00:30 PM »
Many years ago, a buddy and I played from the 11th tee to the 13th green on a resort where I had a home. We probably did this half a dozen times a year. 11 is a par 3, 12 is a par four, and 13 is a par five.
What made it fun was the route each of us chose. The tee shot on 11 needed to be pounded to get over the creek that fronts the 12th tee. Either that or hit the tee ball to the 16th fairway. From there, we could either wind our way to the left of a pond or hit over the pond. What made it fun was the route we decided to take. Generally, we took different routes. Of course, we didn't play this hole until just before dark, so we didn't run into anyone.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back