News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Master's Yesterday: Saturday
« on: April 14, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
I thought the conditions were awful with the greens repelling well hit shots. Kinda like a US Open setup.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bruce Katona

Re: Master's Yesterday: Saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 11:44:49 AM »
I don't disagree. #15 & #17 were poster-children for well struck short irons from the fairway not holding the green; leaving very very delicate up and downs for par.  Add to this a pin position on #17 which eliminated utilizing the ground game as Mr. Jones suggested in his SI in 1958 or 1959 to play 17.

If the MOTM were looking to one-up their game with the USGA and the typically borderline conditions of the Annual Defense of Par - aka the US Open - Saturday @ The Masters succeeded.

Lets hope the MOTM give permission for the grounds crew to add a bit of moisture to the putting surfaces so properly struck approach shots, form the correct angle, hold the green or - as opposed to a Sunday Charge - it will be a Sunday snooze-fest.

Ian Cox

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:21:14 PM »
Mmm… Mother Nature dried out the course (sometimes She saturates it, sometimes it’s in between), the rules of golf cover this… Play the course as you find it.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 03:30:30 PM »
Yeah but....my number...I.Can't.Change.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 05:50:30 PM »
 8)

I thought the course played great. Of course I'm a huge , huge fan of firm and fast. It's so much better IMNSHO!

When it's lush and wet the scores most likely be very low. When that happens it only tempts the people in charge to lengthen it some more. I play with three or four guys who can carry it 300+ yards all the time. You can only slow them down when it gets a little crusty and the short game becomes more important. In fact I like playing it longer some times just so we all miss more greens, but it only happens when it's firm for them
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 06:29:56 PM by archie_struthers »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 10:41:24 PM »
I don't disagree. #15 & #17 were poster-children for well struck short irons from the fairway not holding the green;

I sat in the grandstands at 15/16 for the day on Saturday.  With the pin on the left side in a very narrow area I was amazed that everyone hit their second to the left side of the fairway meaning they had just a few yards to land their approach that was less than a full shot with a lot of spin.  Players coming in from the left side of the fairway needed to land it past the hole to ensure they didn't spin it back into the water but then a number of people tried to hit the two bounce and spin back but didn't get the spin back because the ball ended up going long.  Brooks Koepka is one of the only players I recall playing to the right side of the fairway which allowed him to use a lot of green and not worry about spinning it back into the water and he did well making birdie.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back