News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Todd_Joseph

Re: Results of the 9 Hole Routing Contest
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 12:32:02 PM »
Steven,

you're correct, my design can be played in reverse.   Tommy actually posted the reverse routing in the picture above because it was rated higher by the judges.  The black lines show the forward routing.    The only hole that plays the same on both routings is the 9th.   The reverse routing is a little dangerous because you have to hit across some greens and tees.  

Todd

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2003, 01:18:54 PM »

"The reverse routing is a little dangerous because you have to hit across some greens and tees."

Todd -- hopefully this is a private club with only a few members!   LOL!

Todd_Joseph

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2003, 01:31:38 PM »
Bill,

I figured, hickory sticks and throwback balls,  how much could it really hurt!!

Actually, the reverse routing was added as a whim to try and get some "quirky" points from the judges.   Alas, they didn't bite.   They stayed professional and judged the routings on merit rather then on the extras I added.  

It looks like I was the only design to have holes playing through the opening between the two pieces of property.   I, of course, was assuming that there were very friendly neighbors, who wouldn't mind an occasional golf ball off the roof. ;)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2003, 02:59:30 PM »
We must have been biting somewhat, we took the Reverse routing over the Forward correct?

Actually, this will show you how George and I judged this. We took into consderation the name, Newport, Rhode Island, where they would take concern over flying pellets traspassing in their airspace!:) Picture it as a Line of Death set forth by someone named Vanderbilt, Rothschild or Rockefeller. I don't think you would want to get into a legal tussle with one of them. They win everytime!

Actually nothing would have been more garish then my attempt which was lost when after failing to save my work, my computer locked-up. Mine was a different take, albeit a more humorous one which would have no doubt taken this great thread and turned it upside down.--it was on this property, The Modern Architects Golf Club complete with housing, condominiums and apartment buildings. I was guarranteeing it not to win, while even being a judge!

The architects represented were:

Tom Fazio-one of his typical holes where a faux creek ran the entire length of the hole and cut sharply to the left out of play, to a green that was set right to left and guarded by a bunker. The driving areas of the creek had fairway bunkers to protect a ball from going in.

Jack Nicklaus-A par 5 that had all of its fairway bunkering set-up to accept a draw or hook shot, with huge areas more then able to accept the power fade.

Arnold Palmer-A par 3 Cape which had the usual Palmer/Seay beach style bunkering. A huge containment mound protects the left green with a bunker that really doesn't come into play. The hole is usually used in all of their designs as well as the same complex at Bay Hill #18

Art Hills-A dogleg par 4 that had a fairway about 10 yards wide, built in a corridor of some 50 yards wide. This was to represent Art's work for US Homes. The hole is surrounded in matchbox style, small secondary retirment housing, with patio of the first home, retired couple & all sitting out there, right in-line of the drive off of the tee. The green is raised substanially, to invoke hitting the green or paying the price.

Ted Robinson--An award winning golf architect, so I had to give him an award winning waterscaped 150 yard, par 3 with a five-tiered green of some 40 feet in length.

Desmond Muirhead-Desmond's version was going to be a LONG 290 yard, impossible to play, but hard to take your eyes off of par 3, that features the symbolism of the legend of the Great GCA God, TE Paul.

A ultra LONG rectangular-shaped green has undulations that made it look like a computer keyboard. The bunkers were outlined Merlot bottles, and the sand is littered with cigarette butts. The setting was the extreme north end of the property where the look could fully emphasize the pastural setting of Featherfield Farm. Piped-in Musak would be that of Pat Mucci laughing his ass off.

Bob Cupp-How could one NOT think of Mr. Cupp's Palmetto Hall, where rectangles, squares and pyramid shaped mounds on this par 4 of some 450 yards, convey a strategy to a Polymegolythicquadranudrum-shaped green. The green itself is surrounded by water. It looks very "pretty" in a Arnold Sharzeneggar "Terminator" sense. VERY high art. If Frank Gearhy is a golfer, he would like it.

Greg Norman Design-An eco-friendly opening hole which requires a 300 yard forced carry over a lake that is filled with a new type of bacteria that can properly eat the remains of the developer who wanted to redesign the course before it opened.

Off of the tee to an hour-glass shaped fairway with no rough, the fairway bunkers on both sides are at an equal distance from the tee, and are round pots filled with crushed white marble. The exposed framing is not decomposed granite, but actually crushed glass from a local reclaimation center, and can be replaced very affordably four times a year. The green is an island situated in a sea of crushed glass. There is a penalty for hitting out of the fairway. Mind you that it is a very bloody one.

Rees Jones-Closing par 4 here on my design, Looks like it may have been a Tillinghast hole at one time, with a fairway that is approriate enough width to land the Concorde. Fairway bunkers on both sides look like they are representations of what Tillie might have produced if Timothy Leary was in charge of construction. The containment mounds look like legions of Republican Guard standing at attention. The green is elevated and the contours are very flat and subtle. It is protected by bunkering that surrounds the green and they are oval-shaped.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2003, 08:38:05 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words!

I have been away from home and was very pleasantly surprised to see the big news.

As for green complexes, I actually sent Tommy complete hole-by-hole scaled out drawings with topo and green complex features.  After sending them to him, I realized how crude they were and am very grateful he did not post them!  With a little coaxing, I would be happy to clean them up and post them.  The v greens are actually dirty optical tricks, from 150 they would probably look very similar, but the tiers were re-arranged.

After dueling with Steve and Jim K in the Strategy thread, I had to go wide and create directional options or forever be labeled a turncoat.  The cause of that approach also comes from playing here on the Lake Michigan coastline where, when golf operating folk get to play, the wind forces us to play low running shots as we only seem to play in junk weather.  That is part of my hang up over aerial tactics.

Thanks for a great contest Tommy and George!  In good winning form, maybe the winner should choose the next tract of land and find something good to offer.  Kind of the like buying the competition a drink after the round.  Let me know if you are interested.  The prize might be a velvet Elvis though, if my wife did not throw it out.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back