News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Bulging convex irons? Why not just bring back concave wedges for more spin too?
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: OT – what do folks think of the approval of Bryson’s clubs?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 05:33:28 PM »
Not sure why you're asking: hybrids, woods, and drivers have bulge and roll. Concave ≠ convex.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 06:34:28 PM »
The rules are there and the people who enforce them are not going to approve something that isn’t allowed.  If there is something that they don’t like, they may change the rules at the next revision, but for now they are certainly legal.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 08:22:11 PM »
On a related note, just read this about Bryson:

"He said he struggled with controlling his speed on the greens, contributing that to not being able to use his Foresight launch monitor on the practice green this week. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bryson-dechambeau-now-a-masters-chaser-after-horrific-break-at-15/ar-BB1lzLmg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d0dfe987ff384cb08e0cd8bdcf554ed6&ei=16

I thought aids were allowed in practice areas?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 09:40:52 PM »
On a related note, just read this about Bryson:

"He said he struggled with controlling his speed on the greens, contributing that to not being able to use his Foresight launch monitor on the practice green this week. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/bryson-dechambeau-now-a-masters-chaser-after-horrific-break-at-15/ar-BB1lzLmg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d0dfe987ff384cb08e0cd8bdcf554ed6&ei=16

I thought aids were allowed in practice areas?
He has a unique approach for sure.  Talent for sure and when he puts well typically scores in majors.  I don't know how iron stats compared to say scheffler or McElroy, but with how one length irons he is longer I would assume.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 01:37:32 AM »
Bulging convex irons? Why not just bring back concave wedges for more spin too?

The rationale behind banning those was that there could be multiple impacts on the face if it was concave.  With a convex face, like that of a wood, that isn't an issue. 

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 02:37:40 AM »
With all that's happened since to make the game easier it's comical to look back at the massive fuss everyone made over an infinitesimal measurement on the mid-1980s Ping Eye 2 irons.

Looking back it was the beginning of the equipment problem. The administration burned by the case let manufacturers expand drivers to  a ridiculous size- one consequence being the elimination of both the duck-hook and the fear of the duck hook.

Simon Barrington

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 04:38:21 AM »
With all that's happened since to make the game easier it's comical to look back at the massive fuss everyone made over an infinitesimal measurement on the mid-1980s Ping Eye 2 irons.

Looking back it was the beginning of the equipment problem. The administration burned by the case let manufacturers expand drivers to  a ridiculous size- one consequence being the elimination of both the duck-hook and the fear of the duck hook.
Absolutely, and at the end of the tortuous legal case it was more than ironic that the only company able at that time to resolve the situation from an engineering angle to adjust clubs already sold, were PING themselves.
I still have my laminated credit card sized certificate for the conforming adjustment of my Eye 2 grooves on my 1-iron!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:00:21 AM by Simon Barrington »

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 05:01:06 AM »

Personally I was too pre-occupied with trying to control my wild slice to worry about a duck hook.

Niall

ps. I still play with Ping Eye 2's

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 05:31:18 AM »

Personally I was too pre-occupied with trying to control my wild slice to worry about a duck hook.

Niall

ps. I still play with Ping Eye 2's

Better go to Gainsborough to get your Ping Eye 2's fitted properly! I liked the Beryllium Copper version of the Ping Eye 2s but opted for the Lynx Parallax irons of the early 1990s which were great clubs!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 09:40:54 AM »

Interesting, I must have a defective driver. I still can hit a duck-hook........
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 12:17:08 PM »
"The Science Behind Bryson's Irons" (22-minute video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8H-1L5Zvo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back