News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

Will the second 9 ever yield a 30 again?
« on: April 13, 2024, 02:22:25 PM »
No doubt yesterday’s winds forced some of the biggest hitters to lay up on 13 and 15, but the lengthening of ANGC is killing the excitement we came to love. Did Ridley and friends not get the memo? I’m sure this has been discussed here many times.

Tom_Doak

Re: Will the second 9 ever yield a 30 again?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 04:04:10 PM »
I'm not sure they want it to yield a 30.  30 x 2 = 60, and they sure as hell don't want that.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 05:45:04 PM »
I guess they don’t want the legendary roars either.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 08:46:53 PM »
I don't think 30 is impossible even today, it's just not very likely.  It should be a once-in-a-generation thing, not a somebody-threatens-to-do-it-every-year thing.

I do think the trees on 15 are getting pretty big, taking away some opportunities to go for it in two.  But making somebody hit the drive on line there is not unreasonable, instead of just letting them hit it anywhere and then go for it.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 09:31:20 PM »
Man it would be fun to see and think it could happen but the course would need be be softened with significant rain.  Although I guess it drains better than ever too.

With water on 5 holes it just brings in such danger. Run to watch as after Nicklaus everyone thinks it can happen and maybe it will.  It's why they play it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 10:40:09 PM »
A lot of players went for 13 in two today -- they just struggled to actually hit the green, and when they did, they didn't convert eagle putts. A decent number went for 15 in two as well.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 07:31:48 PM »
While not a 30 on the back-9, Scheffler's 7-birdie final round today was VERY impressive.

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 08:18:58 PM »

;) 8)

I certainly think that 30 is doable on the back nine. The ability to hit it to spots that funnel to the hole make birdie and the occasional eagle very possible. Fifteen is harder than before but when these guys are hitting it good it's certainly a birdie hole for players in the Masters. Whenever you get two fives that are reachable in two it makes a low nine very possible.

Great tournament again , best player prevailed!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 09:00:00 PM »
11 is probably the toughest hole on the back 9
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Morandi

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 09:09:14 PM »
You mean the “second nine” lined with “patrons”? 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 11:05:59 PM »
It most certainly would happen if there was significant rain softening the greens.  Today it was so firm that there simply was no way that a player could be fortunate enough to be able to be sure of how the ball was going to bounce on the greens so many played safe and were still unable to avoid trouble.  Best example of that was Homa's shot on number 12.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 04:49:15 AM »
Bryson went around the back nine in 31 on Thursday and later in the tournament at least two people had back nine 32s with a bogey.

A 30 is absolutely doable.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 09:28:18 AM »
Bryson went around the back nine in 31 on Thursday and later in the tournament at least two people had back nine 32s with a bogey.

Nicklaus' 30 in '86 included a bogey at the 12th !

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 05:03:36 PM »
No doubt yesterday’s winds forced some of the biggest hitters to lay up on 13 and 15, but the lengthening of ANGC is killing the excitement we came to love. Did Ridley and friends not get the memo? I’m sure this has been discussed here many times.

The golf course has been out of balance for many years, beginning in the 90's when tech REALLY started outpacing design, and original intent.
At that point, and in future years, 13 and 15 weren't risk/reward holes, there were penal, rote execution par 4's, 3 woods and short irons to 13 and wedges(beginning with Tiger) and short irons into 15.
You never laid up after a good drive.
That's not risk reward-that's holding serve.
The balance has been restored, and it is tipped towards laying up properly when weather(wind against) decreases how many go for the greens in two..
This was compounded(or enhanced) by very firm conditions Fr-Sun.
The thing is, 15 in those conditions requires three very well thought out shots, a poor layup makes a chance at birdie or even par very dicey.
The sky is not falling, we're just seeing a return to long irons and woods being hit into par 5's, as well as careful thought about a layup(what lie, angle, and yardage)
I know that is a different concept for some.
Fans will just have to learn that a well executed 3 or 5 wood into a firm green to 25 feet is more "roarworthy" than an 8 iron to 8 feet.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 06:35:55 PM »

Do we really want everyone going for the green on 13 and 15? Or is it better if the course presents a question that different players may answer differently?

#11 actually provided the best example on Sunday with the leaders playing it differently and having different results.
Tim Weiman

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 06:42:11 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 06:43:56 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ken Moum

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 07:26:05 PM »
Fans will just have to learn that a well executed 3 or 5 wood into a firm green to 25 feet is more "roarworthy" than an 8 iron to 8 feet.

Amen to that.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back