News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Most coveted job in golf. Most stressful job in golf.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2024, 09:08:27 AM »

Most coveted--Architecture Editor Golf Magazine😊

You might change your mind if you knew what they paid.  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2024, 01:07:16 PM »

I would think the criticism would come more from the non-golfing public in the form of it requiring a tremendous amount of resources, financial and otherwise that could be put to use elsewhere, to achieve that "perfect" state.

You do not become the superintendent of Augusta National if you worry about what the general public thinks of your use of resources.  ;)

I certainly agree with you on that, but the criticism would still be there none-the-less.

And it would seem that Martha Burke showed that the green jackets can be swayed by external forces.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 03:09:04 AM »
With both of these questions, I have to ask/clarify is coveted/stressful measured owing to the actual financial rewards of the thing, or the easiest job for common rewards, or its perceived prestige...my ideas about those definitions might be unique...

Most coveted (by me)...setting up, pinning, teeing and marking courses for the MGA/Met PGA events in the Westchester/Fairfield region.  No, I'm not looking to be Mike Davis and platoon an entire tournament preparation regime for billion dollar enterprises. I much prefer travelling around in my Volvo with my marking paint and notes for a few hundred bucks a week, visiting late on Saturday and Sunday evenings, perhaps renewing acquaintances with supers and pros I know from o'er the 40+ years. Nice, peaceful...fun.

I have a great experience of these courses as a caddie and player, both in tournaments and recreationally; I'd like to contribute to them showing well...Over the years I think I have learned the necessary balance between tournament expedients, a host course's on-going practices and a desire to have the course elicit quality play from its competitors.  I continue to be versed in the rules, though I would undertake education to make that be more expert. 

Most Coveted (if I weren't a fool) - someone said Bob Ford, yeah at any of these Top 100-200 tracks, Jesus, is this ever emeritus honorificus and the Life of Riley.  I mean I don't see too many like this in the Classifieds or the Career Fair. "Wanted: A Living Statue, must pose with cup of grill coffee in 30 yard circle at first tee near range and have ability to heckle men at their golf. Salary: 400k with benefits, clothing and housing allowance and 25% stake in branded merchandise sold out of shop run by a vendor. Breaking 80 in Local and National Qualifying events preferred, but not required."

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2024, 05:48:51 AM »
Do you think anyone other than a member would dare criticize Augusta's conditioning?

Tommy

I tend to think you've got it the wrong way round. I'd question whether a member would ever criticise the conditioning even if they thought something was wrong (green speed for instance). It seems to me that Augusta is one of those places where even the Captains of Industry quickly learn to tow the line.

Niall

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2024, 10:27:53 AM »
Do you think anyone other than a member would dare criticize Augusta's conditioning?

I'll bite, what might one criticize about the current conditions at Augusta National?
Get rid of the "second cut".  Go back to what it used to be pre 1999.  This will allow balls to roll even farther off line when you hit a poor drive.

Not conditioning, but course setup.  Maybe move the tees around a bit.  This is harder to do as they seem to remove old tees when they lengthen the course.  It might be nice to see them play 13 at the previous distance for one round.  Or move up the tees on #3 to see more players driving the green, although this year it seemed like everyone was using driver, unlike past years. But very few players actually reached the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back