News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Fisher

Woodbridge GC Forest Course
« on: April 11, 2024, 09:34:59 AM »
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70107.msg1687091.html#msg1687091

The second, Forest course of the Woodbridge Golf Club (see Sean's lovely profile of the main, Heath course on GCA from 2021/2) has long been a modest bucket-list target of mine. An early ending yesterday of a meeting in Woodbridge finally gave me the chance of a game on the Forest, and I had a super couple of hours in almost complete isolation on what I can warmly recommend as another strong contributor to what is already a very strong litany of nine-hole courses in Suffolk.

At 3159 yards off the back tees, in a decent 2-club wind with (as yet) zero fairway roll, the Forest course was plenty long enough, and there at least half a dozen distinctly proper holes, including two strong one-shotters, one of which would not be out of place at Walton Heath. Some (in general) very small greens, some proper, deep bunkering and some distinctly challenging tee shots all added to the overall experience, as did the pint of Adnams consumed in the clubhouse at the end. Both Aldeburgh and Woodbridge have these very useful courses supporting their major acts, and to me the Forest course has the edge over Aldeburgh's River layout.

Anyway, if planning a Tour to Suffolk and seeking 'another nine' whether as a morning warm-up or for a late-afternoon knock, the Woodbridge Forest course (not least as £20 for the nine holes) will not disappoint. Proper golf, in every sense.

Niall C

Re: Woodbridge GC Forest Course
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 09:06:03 AM »
Richard

It is a part of the country that is on my to-do list and certainly 9 holers have a great appeal for me. I generally find them to be less regular or conventional than a lot of 18 hole courses. Is that the case at Woodbridge ?

Niall

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:37:45 PM »
Richard,
I have had the good fortune to play some extraordinary nine hole routes and am every bit satisfied as much as an 18 hole experience.
I am sure I could research but your playing with the Greenkeeper surely provided insights regarding the design evolution of the porpety?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve Holloway

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »
Lovely praise for a course i have the opportunity to play often but haven't as the main act the Heath course has always been the attraction for me. However your words Richard have certainly convinced me to re visit the Forest course which has recently benefitted from extensive bunker renovation - and as also the Heath Course substantial gorse removal. I agree both the one shotters get the attention - but for me the outstanding hole is the par 4 seventh gently sweeping away downhill and ends up overlooking the Eleventh on the Heath. Pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit

Richard Fisher

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 04:48:49 AM »
Thanks to all - although Ward, this was a solo round, with no greenkeeper interaction at all! The bunker renovation and clearance work has clearly been a very good thing. Incidentally the Heath course did look very enticing indeed, after its own recent and ongoing clearance work. Woodbridge always a super place for a game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back