News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

OT: Old Barnwell Playing Opportunity 4/13 and 4/14
« on: April 10, 2024, 04:13:08 PM »
I had a buddy that had to cancel his trip to Augusta this weekend and have some spots available to play Old Barnwell Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Two spots are available for Saturday morning at 9:45 and one for Sunday morning at 8:45, which will allow for watching the coverage after.  Cost is $550 plus youth caddie fee of $80 plus tip.  Text me at 713-299-0651 if you have any interest.  I am not going to be checking this too often with travel and the tournament.  Happy Masters Week everyone!

-Cliff Walston

Jeff Schley

Re: OT: Old Barnwell Playing Opportunity 4/13 and 4/14
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 07:30:17 PM »
Having just played there, it is a very expansive scale with width galore. Greens will only get better.  It was 20-25 mph winds so tough play.  A kids course and another 18 on the way in a couple years.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 08:05:02 PM »
Old Barnwell is $550 to play ?

(I ask this understanding that the business model at most of these new clubs is based on Ohoopee, which is $1600 to stay the night, eat, drink, and play 36 holes.   Still, $550 is 75% more than Pacific Dunes (which you can't get on until late 2025).

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:07:08 PM by Tom_Doak »

Steve_Roths

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 08:46:42 PM »
I think the $550 during Masters week is a donation to the charity.  I think.

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 09:22:46 PM »
Old Barnwell is $550 to play ?

(I ask this understanding that the business model at most of these new clubs is based on Ohoopee, which is $1600 to stay the night, eat, drink, and play 36 holes.   Still, $550 is 75% more than Pacific Dunes (which you can't get on until late 2025).

Tom,

It’s a Masters week rate. I can’t quote exact normal rate off the top of my head, but the accompanied and unaccompanied guest fees are very similar to Ballyneal. If my memory is correct.

If it helps, the model is distinctly different than what I know about Ohoopee based on first hand accounts.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:28:09 PM by Ben Sims »

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:34 PM »

Steve,

Yes, the club is upfront about using Masters Week fees to support the club’s mission partners. Members, if they book this week, pay the full masters rate as well.

Nick Schreiber

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 09:28:27 PM »
Guest fees at OB: $125
Unaccompanied just went from $250 to $300

The Masters rate is $2,000/foursome + tax. If we hit our mark this week, we'll have funded nearly 50% of our mission budget for the next 12 months.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 09:02:01 AM »
Guest fees at OB: $125
Unaccompanied just went from $250 to $300

The Masters rate is $2,000/foursome + tax. If we hit our mark this week, we'll have funded nearly 50% of our mission budget for the next 12 months.

Nick,

As you surely know, that is the same rate as Palmetto charges during Masters week. My understanding is that Palmetto used 2023 Masters week income to cover the coast of a capital project on the golf course.

Then too, while I don’t have any data, I suspect a fair amount of play at Aiken area courses, including OB, Tree Farm, Palmetto, Sage Valley, Aiken Golf Club and even at the private residential communities is corporate entertaining where the guest isn’t paying the bill.

Overall, I think providing access to the golf for non members is a good Aiken tradition. I wonder if someone like Paul Rudovsky can offer some perspective: are Westchester County clubs open to non members when the U.S. Open is played at Winged Foot? Paul might also offer a view on access to other Hamptons are course when the U.S. Open is played at Shinnecock.

Tim

Tim Weiman

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:23:42 AM »
Tim-Paul may have better information than I do but I haven’t heard of any Westchester or Long Island private club offering a U.S. Open week non member opportunity to play. That’s not to say that a home club pro couldn’t get one of their members out but not the same as what’s available at the privates during Masters week.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 09:33:40 AM »
Tim-Paul may have better information than I do but I haven’t heard of any Westchester or Long Island private club offering a U.S. Open week non member opportunity to play. That’s not to say that a home club pro couldn’t get one of their members out but not the same as what’s available at the privates during Masters week.

Tim,

That is what I suspect, but again, Paul might have a different view. He was a member at Quaker Ridge for many years and certainly knows the Westchester golf scene.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Pierre Cruikshank

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 10:13:48 AM »
Tim,

I have a friend who is a member at Quaker Ridge. I don't believe they offered playing privileges for non-members during US Open week. I played a round with him at Quaker a few weeks after the 2006 US Open. He said the traffic was so bad all week no one would want to play at Quaker.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:07:56 AM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"Photons have mass? I didn’t even know they were Catholic.”
― Woody Allen

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 11:05:24 AM »

Sorry, I didn’t make the connection to Masters week.  My calendar is so full right now I had to be reminded when it was

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 11:29:45 AM »
Tim,

I have a friend who is a member at Quaker Ridge. I don't believe they offered playing privileges for non-members during US Open week. I played a round with him at Quaker a few weeks after the 2006 US Open. He said the traffic was so bad all week no one would want to play at Quaker.

Pierre,

I grew up Westchester so I can imagine. Feels like things near Merion would be even worse.

By contrast, things in Aiken are spread out.

Tim
Tim Weiman

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 11:45:11 AM »

Sorry, I didn’t make the connection to Masters week.  My calendar is so full right now I had to be reminded when it was

and for context,
Augusta CC is $3600 per foursome that week....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 12:48:27 PM »
Players at Augusta CC this week are spending OPM - Other Peoples’ Money.  When you’re on the corporate teet the golf is free. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Pierre Cruikshank

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 01:19:29 PM »
Players at Augusta CC this week are spending OPM - Other Peoples’ Money.  When you’re on the corporate teet the golf is free.

Mike,

My neighbor is a senior executive at his firm. I ran into him 2 weeks ago in the lobby with his kids. He mentioned having to travel for work. I asked where and he said Augusta. His company paid for him to entertain a client at the Masters - housing, a round at ANGC, and tournament passes.
I didn't ask for details, but he is playing ANGC & attending The Masters on his company's dime. Ironically, he doesn't have a lot of interest in golf.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:18:44 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"Photons have mass? I didn’t even know they were Catholic.”
― Woody Allen

Blake Conant

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 06:58:54 PM »

Mike,

My neighbor is a senior executive at his firm. I ran into him 2 weeks ago in the lobby with his kids. He mentioned having to travel for work. I asked where and he said Augusta. His company paid for him to entertain a client at the Masters - housing, a round at ANGC, and tournament passes.
I didn't ask for details, but he is playing ANGC & attending The Masters on his company's dime. Ironically, he doesn't have a lot of interest in golf.

And as John Prine said, “that’s the way the world goes round.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back