News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

Augusta now penalizes missed fairways
« on: April 10, 2024, 12:38:46 PM »
From The Athletic:

Missing the fairway at ANGC has become more penalizing since scoring records crumbled at the COVID-induced fall Masters of 2020. The last three years, the average penalty for a missed fairway is 0.42 strokes, an increase of about one-tenth of a stroke over the preceding five Masters. That may not seem like much on the surface but consider this: players hit the green in regulation after a missed fairway 34.6 percent of the time at the 2023 Masters, the second-lowest rate of any course on tour all last season (Los Angeles CC, 31.6).

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Augusta now penalizes missed fairways
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 12:39:57 PM »
From The Athletic:

Missing the fairway at ANGC has become more penalizing since scoring records crumbled at the COVID-induced fall Masters of 2020. The last three years, the average penalty for a missed fairway is 0.42 strokes, an increase of about one-tenth of a stroke over the preceding five Masters. That may not seem like much on the surface but consider this: players hit the green in regulation after a missed fairway 34.6 percent of the time at the 2023 Masters, the second-lowest rate of any course on tour all last season (Los Angeles CC, 31.6).

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 04:49:22 PM »
From The Athletic:

Upsized the quote from MM post

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 08:58:55 PM »
I saw Notah Begay on TGC yesterday and he said from the fairway Augusta is one of the easiest courses to hit the green.  From the rough its one of the hardest.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:57:01 PM »
   It seems to me it’s more the trees than the rough. Or should I say second cut?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:58:44 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 12:42:05 AM »
   It seems to me it’s more the trees than the rough. Or should I say second cut?

It's certainly not the density and length of the grass or inconsistent lies, as the rough is nicer than many fairways I've played.

The fairways are pretty generous so missing them often puts you in a bad position.

I played Torrey pines the week after the farmers and a ball that landed in the fairway but rolled into the rough was a potential lost ball and I could hardly hit more than a wedge out when I did find my ball.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 07:03:09 AM »
When they stick the, ahem, second cut in the middle of the landing area I'll say this is a meaningful statistic as it pertains to the actual lie.

Other than that is not explained with simple geometry or being farther offline and farther from the target?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 09:21:04 AM »
When they stick the, ahem, second cut in the middle of the landing area I'll say this is a meaningful statistic as it pertains to the actual lie.

Other than that is not explained with simple geometry or being farther offline and farther from the target?

yes, but often now there is an unlimbed tree in the way further reducing recovery options.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 11:16:49 AM »
In some ways, the "second cut" helps players. There were times yesterday when the long grass stopped the ball from running into really bad spots.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back