News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Old Petty @ Cabot Highlands (aka Castle Stuart)
« on: April 02, 2024, 10:28:51 AM »
Cabot Highlands has begun promoting the new Tom Doak course (called "Old Petty") that will formally open for play in 2025.

https://cabothighlands.com/old-petty
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:36:50 AM by David_Tepper »

Ben Sims

Re: Old Petty @ Cabot Highlands (aka Castle Stuart)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 11:19:05 AM »
Dang it, I was about to post this.

The name is pretty cool. The sunken lane between 2/3 and 16/17 is Auld Petty on the aerial, leading to a burial site of the same name.

Speaking of that specific area, I think this course could have one of the best compression/release reveals of the Renaissance rota. The views will be spectacular out on the meat of the course across the firth too. I hope Clyde is having some fun on home soil.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:21:29 AM by Ben Sims »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 11:26:29 AM »
Not ANOTHER sodding Highland Coo. Christ, can graphic designers not come up with anything original anymore?
Course looks interesting, from the artists impressions, though.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 12:57:12 PM »
Marty,This is the only highland coo golf logo, though (isn't it?). So I'm a fan. But I would have used the bothy for logo inspiration.
Terrific looking rendering.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 01:35:23 PM »
Firstly, all the best to all involved not just for the main 18-holes but for the intriguing short-course too.
Secondly, amazing renderings, but how long, maybe they’re available now, before these kind of renderings are ‘playable’ on an indoor simulator before the course is even open?
And then the pressure (?) will be on to make the opening day on-the-ground look like the pre-opening simulator rendering which, given how golf course conditioning expectations have increased over the decades, will be interesting from the grow-in, maintenance mode, seasons/weather, even price/cost perspectives.
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 01:56:42 PM »
So I recall that TD wanted to get permission to use another parcel along the coast to really give it some more scenery.  Did this happen?  Was that permission granted or?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 02:14:55 PM »
Marty,This is the only highland coo golf logo, though (isn't it?). So I'm a fan. But I would have used the bothy for logo inspiration.
Terrific looking rendering.

John,
It’s just pure laziness. I earned a living in graphics for about ten years of my career and rapidly learnt that the best graphic design - like most every other design field - comes from representing the best qualities of the client/product/brand/values, etc, etc.
Churning out yet another highland coo says NOTHING about this golf product - perhaps with the exception of its location!
Yes, ‘murican visitors will snap up the head covers, sweaters and ball markers because they’ll think it’s cute and very Skawtisch, but all the while I’ll be simmering gently in the corner.
F.
PS I’m a MASSIVE fan of USA graphic design - some of the best stuff around is produced by your Countrymen and women.
PPS I guess I’m rapidly uninviting myself from next year’s Ren Cup!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 02:18:50 PM by Marty Bonnar »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 02:24:41 PM »

There - they can have that one on me!  8)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 02:38:02 PM »

That is an abomination! Four legs and one arm?!

That said, are cattle a common motif in modern Scottish advertising?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 02:44:49 PM »
I'm so excited for this project. It's always neat when one of the world's best architects is working on a public course not too far from where you live. The renderings are cool, and it's nice that they kept a few reveals up their sleeves. I think they only showed 4 or 5 holes, so still plenty of intrigue for those playing it next year. On an initial walk, one of my favourite holes was the 10th. The 5th (the one in the renderings with the bothy house next to the green) will for sure be the talking point, and has similarities to 5 at Merion (at least IMHO - though the greens are different).

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 02:47:43 PM »

That is an abomination! Four legs and one arm?!

That said, are cattle a common motif in modern Scottish advertising?

The joys of Bing AI Image Creator!
Oh yes, they’ve been on everything from Toffee to Cellphones!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 05:54:27 PM »
The logo’s a shocker.

Looking forward to seeing the course.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 05:56:01 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 07:05:28 PM »
I wouldn't say the logo's a shocker, but it certainly isn't very original as the highland coo motif, painting, cuddly toy etc is a main stay in every gift shop in Scotland. More disappointing is the name. But does that really matter ? Not really. I'm just looking forward to seeing the finished course.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 11:55:36 PM »

And then the pressure (?) will be on to make the opening day on-the-ground look like the pre-opening simulator rendering

I have insulated myself from the pressure by not having anything to do with the renderings and not looking at them.  I hope Clyde can hold out as well.  I'm headed that way at the end of the month.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 04:13:34 AM »

Can you buy a soft toy version in the pro-shop or in the gift shop at Inverness Airport yet? :)
Won’t be long!
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 04:16:33 AM »
And then the pressure (?) will be on to make the opening day on-the-ground look like the pre-opening simulator rendering
I have insulated myself from the pressure by not having anything to do with the renderings and not looking at them.  I hope Clyde can hold out as well.  I'm headed that way at the end of the month.
I’m sure you guys will be just fine. Looking forward to seeing how things on site progress. Best for the trip.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back