News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Asheboro Municipal GC (NC) - Photo Tour New
« on: April 01, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »
The last few times that we passed through Asheboro, NC we attempted to play the Asheboro Municipal Golf Course. Both times, it was too busy to get off as a twosome. I made a quick three day trip to play a few courses (Pete Dye River, Asheboro Muni, Pinewood CC, True Blue, Fort Jackson and Aiken GC) this past week. Asheboro Municipal GC is a 1937 Donald Ross design that is shoehorned between a small neighborhood, the municipal works storage area and a main road that is littered with fast food joints and gas stations. It's a well routed, nine hole course on small piece of property. The pro shop looks like a small cabin adorned with several rocking chairs on the front porch. Everything about Asheboro Municipal about as non pretentious as it could possibly be. I was the first one there on a chilly Monday morning that was 37 degrees when I paid my $10 greens fee to walk. The course was starting to come out of it's Winter dormancy, and was in decent enough shape. I am quite sure that this place is run on a shoestring budget, but it always seems to be very busy. Ross did a pretty nice job with the routing on a piece of land with some elevation on the Northern side of the property. It's a very nice walk. Asheboro barely creeps past 3100 yards (par 35) from the tips, it's only protection are the smaller sized greens and myriad small creeks crossing many of the holes. If you are looking to squeeze in another round on your way to the Pinehurst area, this Ross nine holer fits the bill. I loved everything about this place, and will certainly stop the car to play nine again the next time we drive through.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 07:13:56 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Mark_Fine

Re: Asheboro Municipal GC (NC) - Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 03:38:48 PM »
Never easy or fair to judge a course by the photos.  Looks like a topo Ross (not at my office so can’t look to see if he was ever confirmed on site or for how long).  Some of the photos show green separation from the bunkers.  Maybe the greens were much larger than they are now?  Likely, as with most old golf courses, everything shrinks. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back