News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Former Adobe Course redesigned & rebranded, set for early November debutPhoenix, Ariz. (September 21, 2023) – Arizona’s newest golf course, the Estates Course at the Arizona Biltmore Golf Club, is in the final stages of grow-in and will open for daily-fee and member play in early November. Named after the iconic Biltmore neighborhood that surrounds the property, the Estates Course sits on the same footprint as the Club’s former Adobe Course, however that’s where the similarities end. Designed by the Lehman Design Group and Scottsdale resident and five-time PGA TOUR champion Tom Lehman, the completely new Estates Course features recontoured fairways, new tee boxes and green complexes, as well as new sand and grass bunkers throughout. “This project began as a renovation of the 95-year-old Adobe Course. As we moved through design and into construction, it became clear this would be a completely new golf course with more length, variety and challenge for golfers,” said Jerry Colangelo of Phoenix-based JDM Partners, owners of the Arizona Biltmore Golf Club. “In rebranding to the Estates Course, we recognize the beautiful neighborhood we call home and begin a new chapter in the storied history of the Arizona Biltmore Golf Club.

Read more:https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2023-09-24/new-estates-course-at-arizona-biltmore-golf-club-nearing-completion
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 10:58:35 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PCCraig

Re: Estates Course at the Arizona Biltmore Golf Club, Tom Lehman Renovation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »
I wouldn't let Tom Lehman renovate my local muni even if he was personally paying for the work.
H.P.S.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 05:56:55 PM »
Is PCCraig a golf architect? Has he visited the course during construction?Does he have a vendetta against Lehman? Why go for the jugular? It's only a golf course.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:09:16 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 11:08:51 AM »

Is PCCraig a golf architect?

No.

Has he visited the course during construction?

Yes.

Does he have a vendetta against Lehman?

No.

Why go for the jugular? It's only a golf course.

Yes - it is a golf course. He's designed or co-designed a number of courses here in Minnesota. They aren't my favorite? Surprised he's still getting jobs like the Biltmore this late in his playing career. Then again maybe it's hard to find a quality architect who isn't completely booked.

H.P.S.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 11:21:30 AM »

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes - it is a golf course. He's designed or co-designed a number of courses here in Minnesota. They aren't my favorite? Surprised he's still getting jobs like the Biltmore this late in his playing career. Then again maybe it's hard to find a quality architect who isn't completely booked.

Pretty strong sentiment. He's done some solid stuff out here in AZ. What is it about his design philosophy you don't like? His AZ designs have generally provided wider playing corridors which I find way more fun that 99% of the desert courses out here. A couple in particular are really strong with well thought out with preferred angles. You're surprised that a guy of his character who lives in AZ got a job at the Biltmore? I'm surprised you're surprised.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 04:23:38 PM »
Tom Lehman Golf Design Group:

https://www.lehmandesigngroup.com/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »
I’m proud of Pat. He has grown into a fine grouch.

Tom Yost

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »
I believe Lehman worked with Colangelo on the Wigwam Gold Course renovation.

Jerry Kluger

I think Lehman's design at The Prairie Club has been very highly regarded.

Mark Smolens

When we moved to Phoenix while I was in second grade my Dad started playing with  group of guys from work on Saturday or Sunday morning. The Biltmore (only one course here back then) was a regular in their rotation. I pulled the clubs around for $1 and a cheeseburger. I also got a dime from Mr. Gallagher, one of the regulars, for every ball I could find in the bougainvillea bushes which lined most of the holes. Have not returned to play there for a long, long time. The course seemed tired and outdated last time I was there.

I've played -- and enjoyed -- the Lehman/Fought designed course at Verrado, so I'd certainly give the newly renovated Biltmore a try...

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 01:34:52 PM »
Has anyone played this course yet or heard any reliable reviews of it?
Google and golfpass reviews indicate it was in poor condition at least as recently as a month ago (opened too soon). There are also reviews which indicates that not much redesign was done to the existing course. (But green fees are now much higher than they were on both courses).
I've never played either course.

Steve_ Shaffer

From " The First Call"
The Arizona Biltmore Golf Club in Phoenix has reopened its former Adobe course after an eight-month renovation project by Lehman Design Group, led by Scottsdale resident and former Open Championship winner Tom Lehman. Using the existing corridors, Lehman crafted nearly an entire new golf course atop the bones of one of the Grand Canyon State’s oldest courses, dating to 1928.

More info here. Tee times  can be made 30 days in advance. Current rates are $189. The rates usually drop after Easter. A new Clubhouse will open soon.

https://azbiltmoregc.com/

Tim_Weiman

No.

Yes.

No.

I get you don’t like Lehman as an architect, but can you share with us two or three things that stood out for you during your site visit?

Thanks.
Tim Weiman

Jerry Kluger

I played the course back in January and I would suggest that they should have waited a while before opening it for play as the conditioning was not good at all. 

Steve_ Shaffer

The new Clubhouse will open in May with a 19,400sf building including a Bar & Grille and more.

https://azbiltmoregc.com/adobe-bar-grille/
https://azbiltmoregc.com/phoenix-estates-golf-course/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back