News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

It's a bloody long way .....
« on: March 24, 2024, 05:36:15 PM »
...... to Australia ......... but it's worth every penny and every minute of jet-lag.
atb

Cheltenham, Vic - 9-holes - adjacent to Victoria GC.

Sandringham ('Sandy') Vic - across the road from the entrance to Royal Melbourne.

Kingston Heath, Vic.

Royal Melbourne (West), Vic.

Barnbougle Dunes, Tasmania.

Barnbougle Lost Farm, Tasmania.

Cape Wickham, King Island, Tasmania.

Ocean Dunes, King Island, Tasmania.

King Island Golf and Bowling Club, King Island, Tasmania (visited but not played).

Peninsula Kingswood (North), Vic.

Gunnamatta (The National), Vic.

Victoria GC, Vic.

Metropolitan GC, Vic.

Note: The photos of Ocean Dunes and Metropolitan are courtesy of the club or other websites. All the other photos were taken by the author.

Kevin Pallier

Re: It's a bloody long way .....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 10:24:24 PM »
Well done Thomas!

You played a good collection of Australian stars - are keen to hear more of your thoughts about them?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:12:25 AM »
Thomas,

Thanks for this thread. Melbourne is a pretty special place in the world of golf. As you suggest, it’s a long trip, but well worth it.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 02:54:52 PM »
Another point I’ll make is how my recent trip to and from Aussie has highlighted to me the degree of effort and dedication sportsmen and women including golfers from Aussie, New Zealand and the various South Sea Islands have to put in in order to participate and progress in their chosen sport especially at World elite level. As the title of this thread indicates “It’s a bloody long way” and the travelling to and from is time consuming, expensive and bloody tiring!
Atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 05:00:55 PM »
My wife and I are making our first trip to Australia and New Zealand next January. Figuring out the travel from Washington DC was the most daunting aspect of planning.

This really will be a once in a lifetime experience to which we are most looking forward. The timing is planned so that Sheryl can complete attending all of the Tennis Majors. We made our first trip to Scotland after Wimbledon and our second after Roland Garros. We are so very fortunate to be able to combine golf with other sports. Our first trip to Ireland was capped by attending the All Ireland finals in 2016 when Dublin defeated Kerry in front of an amazing crowd that in many ways made the Super Bowl seem tame.

All that is missing for next year is a round at Tara Iti (hint, hint).

Ira

Brent Carlson

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 04:34:59 AM »
Another point I’ll make is how my recent trip to and from Aussie has highlighted to me the degree of effort and dedication sportsmen and women including golfers from Aussie, New Zealand and the various South Sea Islands have to put in in order to participate and progress in their chosen sport especially at World elite level. As the title of this thread indicates “It’s a bloody long way” and the travelling to and from is time consuming, expensive and bloody tiring!
Atb

Thomas Dai,

Currently down under and agree that it's well worth the long trip.  My itinerary doesn't come close to yours but having a blast.  RM West was a revelation today.  Very sporting and friendly culture at the club as well.  St. Andrews Beach is a wonderful surprise.  Fairways that firm and fast are rare indeed.  Looking very much forward to Yarra Yarra tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brent

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 05:05:45 AM »
Something similar by others. Insights here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6mI8deV71s&pp=ygUDbmx1
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back