News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Guttshall

Altered holes at ANGC in the off season?
« on: March 23, 2024, 01:12:49 PM »
I saw a story from Sports Illustrated that mentioned the tee box on #2 has been moved back 10 yards and slightly to the golfer's left.  It sounds like they are trying to bring the fairway bunker more into play.

Has anyone heard of other changes made to the course since last year?

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Altered holes at ANGC in the off season?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 01:29:27 PM »
That’s the only hole that has a yardage difference this year. And I have not seen any announcements of other changes.

Sounds like a light year for course changes.

Adam G

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 09:13:30 PM »
I thought I saw somewhere that #6 green was rebuilt to add pinnable space on the shelf. Can't find the reference, though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 10:28:41 AM by Adam G »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 08:12:11 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere that #6 green was rebuilt to add pinnable space on the shelf. CAn't find the reference, thoguh.

Yes, I've heard the same thing.

It's hard to believe they managed to host the tournament last year with so many defects in the course.  ;)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 10:01:08 AM »
It's hard to believe they managed to host the tournament last year with so many defects in the course.  ;)
Nice one!
:)
Atb

Adam G

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 12:56:42 PM »
ANGC is like the most desirable girl in school.  Because she’s unattainable, she gets criticized every time she changes lipstick or hair style. 

Take out the trees on 7 and 11 and it’s a solid 10 with only a handful of equals imho.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 05:43:33 PM »
This diverges from the title of the thread but I wonder if anyone has any vintage photos from behind 18 tee looking ahead to the drive zone? I know there have always been some trees but I wonder what it looked like somewhere around opening day? It’s a pretty claustrophobic tee shot now with so many tall trees lining both sides creating the “chute” you have to navigate.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:47:47 PM by Tim Martin »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 07:05:20 PM »
Tim,

From Sven's terrific ANGC thread from a few years back.  This pic seems to show best that its always been a chute.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61416.0.html

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 07:50:55 PM »
Tim,

From Sven's terrific ANGC thread from a few years back.  This pic seems to show best that its always been a chute.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61416.0.html

Thanks for that Kalen. Wow!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 09:21:06 PM »
ANGC is like the most desirable girl in school.  Because she’s unattainable, she gets criticized every time she changes lipstick or hair style. 

Take out the trees on 7 and 11 and it’s a solid 10 with only a handful of equals imho.

Mike,

Last time I was there I couldn’t believe the view from the back tee on #11.

It seemed just crazy.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 10:27:09 PM »
Tim, the drive at 11 is simply obscene - a biblical eye of the needle.  The approach there calls for a wide and strategic fairway for desirable access.  They ruined a great second shot hole. 

Hope you’re well.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Butler

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 11:00:04 AM »
Geoff Shackelford has some excellent analysis of how changes to the ANGC course over the last 30 years have impacted scoring.

He even had one of his readers do some data visualization that is quite revealing. For the front nine, his argument is the higher average scores on 1/4/6 have been offset by lower scores on the two par 5's 2/8.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/
Next!

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 07:55:14 PM »
Made my maiden trip to Augusta National on Monday and the 6th green really struck me- the right plateau is (still) very severe. Only a truly perfect ball will stay up there. There will be a .3-.4 stroke difference between the back right pin and the front left pin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back