News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re: OT is Wyndham Clark correct?
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2024, 07:53:23 PM »
   There’s a story that may be true. In a Ryder Cup match, Azinger stood over a ball, shaking his head and looking annoyed. Seve came over and Azinger asked for free relief. Seve declined the request. Azinger then informed Seve that it was his ball.

I don’t care if it’s a true story. It’s still classic!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2024, 09:38:18 PM »
   There’s a story that may be true. In a Ryder Cup match, Azinger stood over a ball, shaking his head and looking annoyed. Seve came over and Azinger asked for free relief. Seve declined the request. Azinger then informed Seve that it was his ball.

As classic as Seve catching Azinger and Beck switching balls?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Niall C

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 10:39:11 AM »

I've read that story somewhere except it was Tony Johnston on the European Tour IIRC. And also IIRC what I read was Johnston recounting the tale.

Niall

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:45 AM »

I'll hang up and listen.

The NHL, MLB, and NFL rule books are quite long as well. And they play on uniform surfaces, with one "form" of play.

I think his point is, (which I agree with)

Those sports also have complicated rules book and they play on a much smaller field with a known playing area....unlike golf which is played over hundreds of acres where a lot more nuanced and one off scenarios may arise that could require a judgement or ruling.

At least golf is non-contact sport...well most of the time.  ;D

What's your point here Erik?
Kalen got it.

Kalen, Erik,

Are you guys equating golf rules/officiating to "real" sports umpiring/refereeing?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 01:40:07 PM »
Are you guys equating golf rules/officiating to "real" sports umpiring/refereeing?
IMO, it's clear that is not what we're doing.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 11:50:37 PM »
Why didn't they let Malnati drop right next to the hole yesterday? I know what the rule is but I'm sure he could have taken a stance avoiding the sprinkler.
Nah, that was a fair drop.  The sprinkler head was about two feet left of his ball.  Maybe if he took a slightly awkward stance he could have straddled the sprinkler head.  But it wouldn't have been a typical stance.  And he was lucky that he was close to the fringe and the definition of general area of the golf course doesn't differentiate between thick rough and fringe.  They are both the same in the eyes of the rules.

Well said.

Rules are fine, tougher the better. 

FTB...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back