News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Cabot Citrus
« on: March 20, 2024, 11:17:47 AM »
As is anyone hyped to go see the Karoo course now that we have seen a handful of pictures of the final product.

I think the pain point I expressed a while back was overabundance of exposed sand.

I worry this will be a one time visit and move on for most. 

Curious how the second regulation length course comes out.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Cabot Citrus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 12:51:42 PM »
Steve,

Many times over the years we have debated the value of photography to evaluate a golf course absent an actual site visit. All things considered, a site visit is probably better than relying on photography, including drone photography.

That said, I guess I do share your reaction to the amount of exposed sand at Cabot Citrus as displayed by photographs. Just not my favorite look.
Tim Weiman

Jay Mickle

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 01:38:37 PM »
There is a lot more room than is visible from the tee, not unlike Mike Strantz courses. You may like it or you may hate it but you will not forget it.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 02:42:41 PM »
I still don't really understand why they blew up Pine Barrens -- admittedly it's only photos, which obviously is not at all the same as being there in person, but I don't think the new course looks as good/interesting as Pine Barrens.

Michael George

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 03:43:10 PM »
Anyone else seeing the same thing in a lot of new designs by younger architects.   They seem to overdo things like sand and boldness, likely to get noticed.  Subtlety seems to be lost. 

While you may not forget it, you will also lose interest in it. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Matt Kardash

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 04:07:59 PM »
Just watched the entire 18 being played on the Grant Horvat Yotube channel. Would this be considered a maximalist course? There is A LOT going on. Without having played it, I wonder ifthey may have overdid it with the split fairways, crazy greens, 1000 bunkers, etc.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 05:05:44 PM »
There is a lot more room than is visible from the tee, not unlike Mike Strantz courses. You may like it or you may hate it but you will not forget it.

This is spot on. ^

There is plenty of room at Karoo.  There are generous fairways and very little rough so the sand in many places is partially in lieu of rough. I only had to play out of sand a couple times.

Someone who doesn't like Karoo because there's "too much exposed sand",  probably doesn't like Tobacco Road, True Blue, Pinehurst #4, Ak Chin Southern Dunes, Streamsong Black and a few others. It's a look, but I don't think it's overdone or overly common.

I'm all for bold  whether it's by new or old architects.

Maybe the PR photos focus more on the sand than what is actually there as one plays a round in order to advertise the dramatic. I've revisited my photos (linked below) and the amount of sand doesn't freak me out. I understand it's not to everyone's taste, but that's okay.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/golfcoursepix/8UuXQT5oh5Cabot Citrus Karoo pix

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 06:57:13 PM »
Anyone else seeing the same thing in a lot of new designs by younger architects.   They seem to overdo things like sand and boldness, likely to get noticed.  Subtlety seems to be lost. 

While you may not forget it, you will also lose interest in it.
Michael,

I don’t know if it is about younger vs old architects. Whistling Straights, some might remember, was initially advertised as Pete Dye’s tribute to Ballybunion but IMO it had far more bunkers, including bunkers out of play, than either of the two  Ballybunion courses.

Excessive bunkers or exposed sand is just a look, something some may enjoy and others don’t.

In fairness, while I wasn’t thrilled with the aesthetics, I did enjoy playing Whistling Straights.
Tim Weiman

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 10:40:51 AM »
 8)

Would think that being compared to Strantz and Dye is not too bad of company... controversy or not. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 11:47:33 AM »
Exposed sand has a tendency to turn into "sandy scrub with miscellaneous vegetation" over time. I tend to like when a course features "rough" that looks like the typical "broken ground" of its native geographical location. The courses around Pinehurst, for example. Let's see how all that exposed sand looks in two years.

If I could get anyone at Cabot Citrus to respond to my tee time request, I'd love to give a firsthand perspective. I hope it's awesome and also that it holds somewhere in the ballpark of its current planned price point - as a guy who would love to escape the Midwest for some warm-weather springtime golf, I've found a real lack of architecturally interesting and golf-centric options in the South. There are a few spots tied to arm-and-a-leg priced resorts, sure. But looking for a golf-focused trip that doesn't break the bank, as soon as I got past Southern Pines and Old Waverly it felt like I was pretty quickly staring at the RTJ Trail. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 06:37:58 PM »
I hope it's awesome and also that it holds somewhere in the ballpark of its current planned price point - as a guy who would love to escape the Midwest for some warm-weather springtime golf, I've found a real lack of architecturally interesting and golf-centric options in the South. There are a few spots tied to arm-and-a-leg priced resorts, sure. But looking for a golf-focused trip that doesn't break the bank, as soon as I got past Southern Pines and Old Waverly it felt like I was pretty quickly staring at the RTJ Trail. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
What do you mean by "current planned price point".  Or do you mean the current price point, which I think is about $160? 
I would guess that Cabot Citrus will be competing with Streamsong and will have a similar price point once it is fully up and running.  So around $300 for resort guests and $400 for non-guests, inflation adjusted for when the course is fully open.

Pierre Cruikshank

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 06:22:54 PM »
I agree with you Wayne. The Tampa area will invariably continue to be a winter golf destination, especially for Northerners traveling below the Mason-Dixon. Streamsong & Citrus Farm are just over a 2 hour drive from each other, so an easy few days for anyone wanting to maximize a winter golf trip.       

Streamsong has roughly 228 rooms & suites.  I'm curious how many cottages/ rooms will be available at Citrus Farm.  It seems the demand for public golf destinations will continue to grow.

Steamsong's peak rate: guest $319 / non-guest $419.

I expect Citrus Farm's peak rate: guest rate $340 / non-guest $430.

https://youtu.be/GsgyRvGyioo?si=mlYdeu2i-btcvGQD. (drone video of Karoo)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:53:13 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"Photons have mass? I didn’t even know they were Catholic.”
― Woody Allen

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 10:51:05 AM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 12:23:25 PM »
The Golfer's Journal video on the transition from World Woods to Cabot Citrus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCCbIRPd9Y0

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 04:28:11 AM »
Played Karoo, Squeeze, and Wedge earlier this week.  Had seen this thread before i got there and had similar impressions from other photos, but must say that biggest take away from my round was that the bunkering was not over done.  It of used to frame fairways which are quite generous. 

Greens are pretty wild but very putt-able and fair (so long as the grounds crew member who cuts the holes has not had too much to drink the night before).  Pines can be set is some really tough tough positions, but think that will be very rare.

Course was incredibly firm and fast, and that took some getting used to but I love that. 

Highly recommend it for a visit.  Did not have a chance to look at Roost which will not open for several months.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back