News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Links Golf Club @ Spey Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:51:09 PM »
Moray coast of Northern Scotland.

Transforming Spey into a world-class golf destination. Clayton, DeVries, and Pont (CDP) will renovate the course. The partnership consists of three of the world’s foremost architecture practices that have helped to deliver some of the world’s top-rated golf courses including Cape Wickham Links, Barnbougle Dunes, Kingsley Club, and Greywalls at Marquette.

• Mike Devries and his team will be transforming these traditional links into a fully reversible 18-hole championship layout with up to 22 greens and 5 different routings. This will be a truly unique experience in the birthplace of golf.

https://www.links.golf/speybay
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:17:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 03:31:36 PM »
It’s a delightful location and the two ridge-lines parallel to the shoreline would seem perfect for a elbisrever course.
It’s a popular whiskey making and river fishing area too which might be of additional interest to some venturing there.
I hope the situation has been taken into account of the locals who have long played the course to enable them to still do so at a reasonable price?
I also wonder if it’ll be open 12 months of the year like it always has been or if it’ll move to a 9-month open season like some of the other ‘resort’ courses in the are?

Atb

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 04:19:02 PM »
whiskey ?!

David

The members of the old club appear to still have some sort of ownership although judging by some of the accents I'm not sure how local they are. Good luck to CDP, they have taken on quite a challenge considering the expectations.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 05:12:37 PM »
Here is a much longer (almost 60 minutes) and more recent (Nov. 27) discussion of the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxxwnx7PmFU&t=53s

It is audio only. I have not listened to it yet.

"The members of the old club appear to still have some sort of ownership"

Niall -

I am pretty sure Spey Bay was most recently privately owned and operated as a commercial (for profit!) business. In addition to daily green fess, it may have sold annual passes to people wanting to play the course often, but there was not a members club that owned the course.

I am not sure how Links Club will operate the course going forward and what sort of access they will provide to folks who are not Links Club members. As you well know, there are plenty of other golf courses along that coastline, so the locals will not have to travel too far to find another place to play.

DT
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 06:45:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 07:13:06 PM »
DT

Correct. It wasn't a members owned club/course but there was a club affiliated to it where you get a membership. I understood the new owners were going to retain the club in some fashion, or perhaps subsume the club members into the Links membership in some fashion ?

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 07:34:38 PM »
Niall -

Yes, I would expect (hope) that the Links Club will make some effort to include the locals in the mix other than as daily fee players. The current website for Spey Bay gives no specific info in that regard.

It will be interesting to see how they manage play on the course once the ambitious renovation work begins. 

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back