News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Naccarato

RIP Dr. Geoffrey Childs
« on: March 17, 2024, 12:07:23 AM »
For those of you that are newer to Goof Club Atlas, at the very beginning and even before, there was Geoff Childs.

Geoff wasn’t just a molecular biologist who send the cancer research laboratory at Albert Einstein School of Medicine in Bronx, New York, he was also a longtime member of The Golf Club at Yale, as well as a devoted proponent of Split Rock Golf Course in Pelham, NY.

While our Uncle George Bahto wrote the book (chapter) on Yale, it was done so with the historical information Geoff Childs had given him!  As Yale’s restoration gets underway, much of the research is and was founded by Dr. Childs 9n his quest to learn all he could about his beloved Yale course!

Yesterday morning, I got a call from Geoff’s wife, Jane’s stepson, David.  As soon as we talked, I knew it was not good, that Our beloved “Dr. Childs” had left us.  We both broke down and David told me that Jane would be in touch.

For those that haven’t met her, Geoff found the perfect soulmate!  A person who not only shared in their interests but full accepted his crazy golf family—ALL OF US!  I’m so greatful to her for giving Geoff the best, most deserved years of his life.  He returned the favor by being ever-devoted to this wonderful, strong and beautiful woman.  With her, he inherited step children & grandchildren that he treated as if they were his own.  His life was filled with happiness and contentment, despite being taken from all of us way too soon.

Geoff, your friends loved you and all you brought in return!  You showed us kindness, patience and tolerance, literally teaching me that the best coffee beans roasted and ground to perfection are no different then the best golf courses!

I will forever miss you my dear friend!  Thank you for making me feel like a most trusted confidant!

Jim_Kennedy

Re: RIP Dr. Geoffrey Childs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 12:08:59 AM »
Sad news.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:40:26 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 12:44:32 AM »
Sorry to hear this, my condolences to his family.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 07:01:11 AM »
 :'(

His devotion and love for Yale Golf Club was a joy to behold. I lived vicariously thru his chronicles of the goings on there over the last 25 years. A delight to talk to and a true lover of the game.  RIP Dr Childs you will be missed but more importantly remembered!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:16:13 AM »
    Tommy: That was a really nice eulogy. Thank you.

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 08:29:51 AM »
My condolences to his family. He was a gentleman golfer. He also carried the torch of golf architecture for one beloved place passionately.
AKA Mayday

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:33:59 AM »
RIP Geoff. Sad news.

I remember playing Yale with Geoff many years ago. As we played he recounted the evolution of each hole, bringing to life the history of an important American course. It was a masterful introduction to a course I had only read about. I came away dazzled, but mostly by Geoff's generosity and kindness on a beautiful Spring day.   

Bob

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 08:57:09 AM »
Tommy, thanks for sharing, even when it’s not the kind of thing we want to hear about.

I’m glad you mentioned his love for coffee; one day, years ago, i was doing some coffee research on a coffee roasting forum, and, sure enough, there is Geoff’s name as a participating member. It became one more reason to stay in touch and get together when I went to NY.

I’ll miss him.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
Tommy, thank you for the eulogy. I hadn't talked to Geoff for a couple years but well remember long talks with him on Yale, golf architecture and the benefits of living in NY. I had a walk-around scheduled with him at Yale a few years ago that he had to cancel for a family event. I went anyway and sorely miss what would have been a truly enlightening experience. It's very sad for all of us on GCA that he is gone.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 10:04:19 AM »
Tommy,

Thanks for letting us know this sad news. I will always remember meeting Geoff and the time we all went up to play Yale. That was a special day.

I’m in Aiken for the month and met a brain research professor from Northwestern University. Geoff was the first thing I thought about. Small world.

RIP Geoff.
Tim Weiman

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 10:56:13 AM »
I never met Geoff, but every time I posted about coffee on social media, he would respond and explain exactly what sort of setup I should get for perfect espresso.

I had no idea he was sick; last time I spoke to him, he was talking about his plans to retire later this year. I am more shaken by his death than I ought to be.

Requiescat in pacem.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 01:15:44 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 11:18:35 AM »
Sorry to hear this and condolences to his family.

I never met him either but would have certainly loved too, he will certainly be missed!

Ken Fry

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 04:15:45 PM »
Well said Tommy.

My condolences to family and friends of Geoff.  A sad loss for all.

Ken

Tom Dunne

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 05:07:20 PM »

Tommy Naccarato and Noel Freeman gave me the sad news on Friday and I’ve been working through this loss all weekend. It’s a tough one.

Noel was my sponsor when I joined the YGC in 2007, and soon afterward I entered the orbit of the incomparable Dr. Childs. Tommy rightly points to Geoffrey’s advocacy for Yale and Split Rock (in the case of the latter, he was appalled at the graft and resource waste being poured into Ferry Point while Golden Age golf languished just a couple of miles up the road). Geoffrey was from the Bronx and when he got riled up about the way these golf courses were being treated his words could hit like a boxer pounding a heavy bag. But I have to say, golf architecture (and politics) were the only subjects where I ever saw that side of him. Most of the time he was a warm and gentle fellow—he loved talking about the Yankees, or his favorite Arthur Avenue salumerias, or hikes he and Jane (who he truly adored) would go on in the Hudson Valley. He had a fancy straight razor that he tried to sell me on once or twice--maybe because I’m a fellow bald guy! He did meaningful scientific work with Einstein. He was a thoroughly well-rounded person with intelligent perspective on just about anything you’d care to discuss.

I know I’m not alone on this site in having more than a few Dr. Childs golf stories. In the ‘00s, most of my golf with Geoffrey also involved Noel, and those two had a special bond. Playing golf with the two of them was like playing with a couple who have been married for 40 years. Their banter was impossibly dry and hilarious, and Geoffrey always knew the exact moment when Noel’s scorecard was about to go up in flames. After Noel moved to California Geoffrey and I didn’t play as much golf together at Yale—he was also dealing with various injuries and illnesses off and on—but we’d still see each other several times a year at various courses in NY.

One of my favorite Dr. Childs stories… Maybe six or seven years ago he and I went down to tee it up at Split Rock. It was perhaps the first warm, sunny spring morning we’d seen that year, and when we showed up Pelham-Split Rock was absolutely jammed. We pay our green fees, get paired up with another twosome, and then mill around the practice green for the better part of an hour. Our place in the queue was totally uncertain—this is not a high temple of organizational efficiency—but it felt like we might wait all day to get out. Eventually I got impatient and said, “Geoff, this is ridiculous. We need to get out of here. Let’s call Neil [Regan]. Maybe he’ll join us at Mohansic or Saxon.”

Dr. Childs agreed and I call Neil on speaker. He answers and we can immediately hear highway noise in the background. Before we can say much of anything, he says, “Hey! I just got on 684. I’m going down to Winged Foot…want to come out?” Geoffrey’s face lit up with the biggest smile. We grabbed our golf bags and started to leave. One of the guys we were (eventually) going to be paired with says to Geoffrey, “Hey, what’s goin’ on? You taking off?”

And Dr. Childs casually replies, “Yeah, we’re just going to head over to Winged Foot instead.” I didn’t see the guy’s reaction, but Geoff started cracking up as soon as we got to the parking lot. He was so delighted by the Cinderella turn of events. I’m pretty sure that this was also the day that he informed me of a serious health issue he was experiencing, but he was a scientist and (to me at least) was always optimistic about the future. He also knew that if his health kept him off the golf course, he had so many other outlets to enjoy life. I admired that about him.

Anyway, I remember he retold that Split Rock story after Neil passed away, and now that they’re both gone, I guess it’s just my little tale. One of many… 

Geoffrey Childs was a mensch, a warm-hearted and caring friend to me for almost 20 years. I will miss him very much, and I send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 05:35:07 PM »
Thanks and well said Tommy.  Dr. Childs was one of the many remarkable men who passed through this treehouse. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 05:42:59 PM »

Tommy Naccarato and Noel Freeman gave me the sad news on Friday and I’ve been working through this loss all weekend. It’s a tough one.

Noel was my sponsor when I joined the YGC in 2007, and soon afterward I entered the orbit of the incomparable Dr. Childs. Tommy rightly points to Geoffrey’s advocacy for Yale and Split Rock (in the case of the latter, he was appalled at the graft and resource waste being poured into Ferry Point while Golden Age golf languished just a couple of miles up the road). Geoffrey was from the Bronx and when he got riled up about the way these golf courses were being treated his words could hit like a boxer pounding a heavy bag. But I have to say, golf architecture (and politics) were the only subjects where I ever saw that side of him. Most of the time he was a warm and gentle fellow—he loved talking about the Yankees, or his favorite Arthur Avenue salumerias, or hikes he and Jane (who he truly adored) would go on in the Hudson Valley. He had a fancy straight razor that he tried to sell me on once or twice--maybe because I’m a fellow bald guy! He did meaningful scientific work with Einstein. He was a thoroughly well-rounded person with intelligent perspective on just about anything you’d care to discuss.

I know I’m not alone on this site in having more than a few Dr. Childs golf stories. In the ‘00s, most of my golf with Geoffrey also involved Noel, and those two had a special bond. Playing golf with the two of them was like playing with a couple who have been married for 40 years. Their banter was impossibly dry and hilarious, and Geoffrey always knew the exact moment when Noel’s scorecard was about to go up in flames. After Noel moved to California Geoffrey and I didn’t play as much golf together at Yale—he was also dealing with various injuries and illnesses off and on—but we’d still see each other several times a year at various courses in NY.

One of my favorite Dr. Childs stories… Maybe six or seven years ago he and I went down to tee it up at Split Rock. It was perhaps the first warm, sunny spring morning we’d seen that year, and when we showed up Pelham-Split Rock was absolutely jammed. We pay our green fees, get paired up with another twosome, and then mill around the practice green for the better part of an hour. Our place in the queue was totally uncertain—this is not a high temple of organizational efficiency—but it felt like we might wait all day to get out. Eventually I got impatient and said, “Geoff, this is ridiculous. We need to get out of here. Let’s call Neil [Regan]. Maybe he’ll join us at Mohansic or Saxon.”

Dr. Childs agreed and I call Neil on speaker. He answers and we can immediately hear highway noise in the background. Before we can say much of anything, he says, “Hey! I just got on 684. I’m going down to Winged Foot…want to come out?” Geoffrey’s face lit up with the biggest smile. We grabbed our golf bags and started to leave. One of the guys we were (eventually) going to be paired with says to Geoffrey, “Hey, what’s goin’ on? You taking off?”

And Dr. Childs casually replies, “Yeah, we’re just going to head over to Winged Foot instead.” I didn’t see the guy’s reaction, but Geoff started cracking up as soon as we got to the parking lot. He was so delighted by the Cinderella turn of events. I’m pretty sure that this was also the day that he informed me of a serious health issue he was experiencing, but he was a scientist and (to me at least) was always optimistic about the future. He also knew that if his health kept him off the golf course, he had so many other outlets to enjoy life. I admired that about him.

Anyway, I remember he retold that Split Rock story after Neil passed away, and now that they’re both gone, I guess it’s just my little tale. One of many… 

Geoffrey Childs was a mensch, a warm-hearted and caring friend to me for almost 20 years. I will miss him very much, and I send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Tom, As eloquent as could be written.  You should try this writing thing for a living!😉

Thanks to all of you for your comments.  We’ve lost a jewel of a man!  Along with losing Patrick (Fat Goalie) Burke and one of my drag racing mentors, Steve Condit, my life has been forever changed.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2024, 05:43:36 PM »
Thanks and well said Tommy.  Dr. Childs was one of the many remarkable men who passed through this treehouse.

Thanks Mike

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2024, 05:51:30 PM »
One of the sad things to add:  As the restoration of Yale commences, having Geoff Childs out to give his input was a part of the plan.  Armed with the information he’s given over time, we’ll have to hope that he’ll be smiling down upon us at Hanse Golf Design as we restore this priceless gem!

archie_struthers

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2024, 07:51:03 PM »
 ;D :-*

Tom he will no doubt be looking down on you guys and smiling , so don't mess it up !

cheers to all

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 09:22:59 PM »
Sorry to hear. As a NYC native who also grew up playing at Split Rock, playing a round with him at our favorite muni was a special day.

Hopefully one day it will be restored with the Stiles and VanCleek plans he found.

mark chalfant

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 11:35:16 PM »
Tommy,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful tribute you wrote about Dr. Childs. My deep condolences to you for the multiple losses of 3 close friends passing away in such a short span of time! I have fond memories of Geoffrey joyfully showing me construction photos of Yale,over 16 years ago. I will always remember talking with him outside of Ridgewood's clubhouse about the restored bunkering there and the ongoing restoration that was elevating Fenway to historic heights. That was the first time inside the lovely RCC clubhouse for me!!

The Cavemen continue to do wonderful work and I believe Jaeger did much of the beautiful shaping at Ridgewood. As others have mentioned Geoffrey had many talents and interests. I am so glad that he and Jane had so many great experiences together. I also enjoyed seeing their amazing dinners pictured online.Take care of yourself Tommy....

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 09:29:38 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Dr. Childs. We never met but I always enjoyed his posts and appreciated his knowledge of the game. He will be missed.
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 11:22:16 AM »

Thanks for your eulogy, Tommy...I know how much he valued your friendship and vice versa.

Geoffrey was a wonderful man and an even better friend.   His wit, the mischievous twinkle in his eye when he was poking fun, his intellect, and his genuine care for others and the world around him, and his incredible generosity were all unforgettable hallmarks of the man.

I was fortunate to spend many great times in his company but the most memorable was our trip to Bandon with me driving after picking up George Bahto at the San Francisco airport.   I ended up driving both ways just to give them the freedom to lead the discussion and the conversation never failed to be educational, entertaining, and enlightening.   

In recent years my wife and I were fortunate to meet Geoff and his wonderful mate Jane for a weekend in Philadelphia where we ate great food, viewed incredible art, and got to know each other again post-covid.   I loved him and I miss him already.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 02:33:20 PM »
I was very sad to learn the news from Tommy over the weekend, thanks everyone for sharing the stories. I had the good fortune of enjoying a round with Geoff at one of the early GCA outings at Inniscrone, it was a fun and memorable day. Geoff will be greatly missed by all who were lucky enough to meet him.

I love Mike's words of mischievous twinkle, that's how I will always picture him in my mind.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 02:36:17 PM »
Went on a trip to Ballyneal and Sand Hills with Geoff a number of years ago and he was such a pleasure to spend some time with.  RIP my friend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back