News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Cornell GC
« on: March 16, 2024, 08:52:49 PM »
The Robert Trent Jones golf course at Cornell U. is undergoing some improvements/upgrades this year. Don't know if any of Cornell's famous GCA alums will be involved.

"Golf course drainage and bunker enhancements will begin later this spring, allowing for a more rapid recovery/re-establishment of playing surfaces during times of poor weather conditions and bringing the course back to a Championship level that allows us to host local, state, national, and collegiate events."

Tom_Doak

Re: Cornell GC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 10:02:45 PM »

The Robert Trent Jones golf course at Cornell U. is undergoing some improvements/upgrades this year. Don't know if any of Cornell's famous GCA alums will be involved.

Not sure who is doing the work.  At one point it was proposed that all of us who went to school there should collaborate, but that seemed like a lot of people for a small job.  It was a pretty good course forty years ago, I don't really think they need to do much, and there aren't any alumni raising eight figures to try and make it famous.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 10:42:59 PM »
played it in summer of 2020...and it might have been the worst conditioned course I have played since I was a kid in Queen NY playing NYC munis.  bunkers were basically hardpan with weeks ranging in height from about 12" to 36"

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 10:38:26 AM »
"played it in summer of 2020...and it might have been the worst conditioned course I have played since I was a kid in Queen NY playing NYC munis"

Paul -

I wonder if the Covid shutdown/lockdown might have impacted how the course was maintained in the summer of 2020.

DT

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 03:57:53 AM »

"played it in summer of 2020...and it might have been the worst conditioned course I have played since I was a kid in Queen NY playing NYC munis"

Paul -

I wonder if the Covid shutdown/lockdown might have impacted how the course was maintained in the summer of 2020.

DT

David--Good point.  I also remember thinking after that round that Ivy League golf might be disappearing.  Dartmouth was about to decimate its course (that move abruptly halted when a bunch of wealthy alums made the powers that be understand their donations would stop if that happened)...and the future of Yale's great track was highly questioned.

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 02:05:52 PM »

Paul -

DT

David--Good point.  I also remember thinking after that round that Ivy League golf might be disappearing.  Dartmouth was about to decimate its course (that move abruptly halted when a bunch of wealthy alums made the powers that be understand their donations would stop if that happened)...and the future of Yale's great track was highly questioned.
Cornell's course has been in steady decline for at least the past decade, if not longer. Either the administration doesn't care or they are clueless as to how to go about getting it to where it is at least something more than an eyesore.

With regards to Dartmouth I think you are confusing the course (Hanover CC) with the golf team. When the announcement was made to permanently close the course the decision was final. The administration at the same time decided to drop Men's golf and when that news got out the sh** hit the fan. After calls and letters from past players, donors, etc. they decided to reinstate golf as an intercollegiate sport.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:24 PM »
John B. -

If the course in Hanover is closing, but Dartmouth is keeping its men's golf team, where will the golf team practice & play?

DT

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 06:31:01 PM »
I haven't heard any news on this in a couple of years. Hopefully all goes well, if indeed it all goes (I haven't the slightest clue what "all" means or the scope involved, fyi). 

I played the course a ton early on to get one of my PE credits, and, while the more scenic of the two, I regret playing the front nine as much as I did. The back nine (which was the original nine before RTJ later added the 2nd nine that's now the front) has a lot more interesting stuff going on, especially at the greens. It'd be interesting to see it again (been forever since being on the course--maybe 2008 Senior Week?) and compare it to the rest of the evolution of RTJ's work, because that earlier nine feels closer to the Golden Age than the later one, which seems a lot more 60s era.

Certainly curious what the plans call for.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

John Blain

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 06:49:54 PM »
John B. -

If the course in Hanover is closing, but Dartmouth is keeping its men's golf team, where will the golf team practice & play?

DT
They are playing/practicing at Montcalm GC in Enfield, NH.  I believe it's a good 30-minute drive from campus.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 04:12:24 PM »
Was Cornell the first RTJ design?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 04:33:12 PM »

Not sure who is doing the work.  At one point it was proposed that all of us who went to school there should collaborate, but that seemed like a lot of people for a small job.  It was a pretty good course forty years ago, I don't really think they need to do much, and there aren't any alumni raising eight figures to try and make it famous.

Tom,

Perhaps I am reading too much into the eight figure reference, but Yale (the only college course that fits the reference) already is famous. I think that you narrated a Fried Egg video about the course. I do hope that the restoration is successful, but unless Hanse really botches it, Yale will be one of the best courses in the country regardless.

Ira

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 05:09:39 PM »

Seems like it might take about 5 calls
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cornell_University_alumni#Chairpersons,_CEOs,_and_executives
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Blain

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 12:23:19 PM »
Was Cornell the first RTJ design?
No. His first design was Midvale Golf & CC in Rochester, NY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back