News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Central Florida Suggestions
« on: February 19, 2024, 10:35:02 AM »
Looking for suggestions from the brethren.

Flying onto Tampa on a Sunday and need to be in Stuart on Tuesday am. Had planned to play Streamsong Blue but it will be closed that day. Choices are

1 Streamsong Black or Red. Played Red last year and wasn’t that impressed. Should I give it another try or play the Black?

2. Old Memorial, seems like a cool place but was hoping to play someplace more on the way to Stuart.

3. Bellaire West …..see above

4. Or any other ideas you’d have, please chime in!

Rob Marshall

Re: Central Florida Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 11:08:38 AM »
Looking for suggestions from the brethren.

Flying onto Tampa on a Sunday and need to be in Stuart on Tuesday am. Had planned to play Streamsong Blue but it will be closed that day. Choices are

1 Streamsong Black or Red. Played Red last year and wasn’t that impressed. Should I give it another try or play the Black?

2. Old Memorial, seems like a cool place but was hoping to play someplace more on the way to Stuart.

3. Bellaire West …..see above

4. Or any other ideas you’d have, please chime in!

Bellaire West
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Keith Phillips

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 12:09:55 PM »
I live in Jupiter but haven't played anything in Central Florida - having said that, Mountain Lake has always been on my wish list and might not be much of a detour.

DFarron

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 12:42:46 PM »
I live in Jupiter but haven't played anything in Central Florida - having said that, Mountain Lake has always been on my wish list and might not be much of a detour.

I agree.....been trying there but haven't gotten a response yet.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 02:03:19 PM »
I played Old Memorial last month and loved it.
It's only 15 minutes from Tampa airport.

Pure golf, caddies only and kind of a frat house, but definitely worth playing.

Stuart is such a nice town and the Treasure Coast is awesome.
Too bad the golf is so-so.

Sailfish Point is worth a play even as it might be only one tidal surge away from being erased...;-)

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 02:28:18 PM »
D-I would check out Streamsong Black if you can’t get on Mountain Lake. I don’t know if Red would grow on you after a second play but you won’t confuse it with Black. I haven’t played Bellaire West but the photos and feedback are terrific.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:31:50 PM by Tim Martin »

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 04:34:19 PM »
D-I would check out Streamsong Black if you can’t get on Mountain Lake. I don’t know if Red would grow on you after a second play but you won’t confuse it with Black. I haven’t played Bellaire West but the photos and feedback are terrific.

Booked Streamsong Black but hoping to get on Mountain Lake.....played Red last year but didn't really like it.

Getting on around Stuart is brutal but I will try Sailfish.

Thanks !

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 07:02:50 PM »
Cabot Citrus is open for preview play.  It is out of the way if you are going to south Florida, but not too far from Tampa.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 11:21:46 PM »

I have a very close friend who has been a member at Mountain Lake for a while. If I recall correctly, the club doesn’t require a guest to play with a member, but to play one must be sponsored by a member. Apparently calls from a pro don’t really help.

Having spent a few days with my friend there, it sure seemed like much of the membership is fairly old.

Really nice place overall. My friend’s wife doesn’t play golf, but never minds going there.
Tim Weiman

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 06:23:18 AM »
DM when you get to Stuart.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

DFarron

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 09:14:06 AM »

I have a very close friend who has been a member at Mountain Lake for a while. If I recall correctly, the club doesn’t require a guest to play with a member, but to play one must be sponsored by a member. Apparently calls from a pro don’t really help.

Having spent a few days with my friend there, it sure seemed like much of the membership is fairly old.

Really nice place overall. My friend’s wife doesn’t play golf, but never minds going there.

You are right, calls from a “pro” don’t really help….I am one lol!

DFarron

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 09:14:40 AM »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 09:33:50 AM »

My friend expressed that the basic idea is if the guest isn’t with a member, somebody has to be responsible for the guest’s conduct while on the property and that it has to be a member.

Seems quite reasonable.
Tim Weiman

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 09:39:23 AM »
Cabot Citrus is open for preview play.  It is out of the way if you are going to south Florida, but not too far from Tampa.

Also, it's super-easy to get to as it is reached mostly by highway and is maybe 50 mins north of tampa airport.
Unless you play Mountain Lake or Streamsong, I view central FL as a "flyover zone" for golf...;-)

DFarron

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 09:45:18 AM »
Might be tough to make Cabot, it’s a quick trip and Cabot is the opposite way I’m going

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 09:58:57 AM »
Belleaire is really good — excellent work by Jason Straka — but it is also the wrong way for you, if that bothers you.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John_Cullum

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 11:07:13 AM »
The Sarasota area is not terribly out of the way. Vero Beach also has some decent options
Raynor was a hack

DFarron

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 05:08:29 PM »

My friend expressed that the basic idea is if the guest isn’t with a member, somebody has to be responsible for the guest’s conduct while on the property and that it has to be a member.

Seems quite reasonable.

That's true.....

astavrides

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:11 PM »

Booked Streamsong Black but hoping to get on Mountain Lake.....played Red last year but didn't really like it.

Thanks !

Why didn't you like Streamsong Red?

Jeff Tang

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 10:07:53 PM »
PGA Village in Port St. Lucie would be on your way to Stuart. The Dye course is worth checking out.
So bad it's good!

DFarron

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 09:30:31 AM »

Thanks !

Why didn't you like Streamsong Red?

You know I'm not really sure. Had traveled a long way and was kind of tired when I got there and then I had a "professional caddie" who talked the entire round about how great he was. Maybe that had something to do with it.

That being said I usually rate an experience on how well I remember the holes later that evening. I had a hard time remembering any of the holes from Red. I have thought about playing it again to give it a fair shot.

I am sorry however that I didn't have some bbq at the halfway house.

DFarron

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 09:32:26 AM »
PGA Village in Port St. Lucie would be on your way to Stuart. The Dye course is worth checking out.

I may do that, I'm staying near there. Also thought about the West Palm Beach Golf Park.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 11:06:09 AM »
Another plug for PGA Village - Dye, an awesome golf course. In the public realm, I really like The Florida Club, which is more or less early-Dye pastiche; low-key with a lot of fun holes. The new Astor Creek is nicely done, too. The Park is really good golf, and I like North Palm Beach CC as well.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

DFarron

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips ….know anything about Lost Lake ?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 02:39:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips ….know anything about Lost Lake ?
I know that if you asked me to split 10 rounds between Lost Lake and The Florida Club, I'd play probably 8 at The Florida Club. Lost Lake is okay but when I played it it was showing signs of benign neglect and design-wise, it didn't do as much for me as TFC.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back