News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - A Texas Golf Story
« on: February 14, 2024, 08:25:42 AM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:35:57 AM by David_Tepper »

David Cronan

Re: OT - A Texas Golf Story
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 09:12:02 AM »
https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/del-rio-el-llanito-country-club-golf/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us   

A movie of this history is coming in April.

Great read, great story and a great publication.

Thanks for the link, David.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 09:34:43 AM »
Wow, that's a great story.

Everyone in the Golf Writer's Association of America should be ashamed they failed to pick up on it even after the book in 2012.  And that includes me -- I'm a member of the GWAA.

Although it will probably be a better movie, with the kids in jeans and white t-shirts.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 11:58:58 AM »
https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/del-rio-el-llanito-country-club-golf/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us   

A movie of this history is coming in April.

Five years of my life, on two separate occasions, were spent in Del Rio. I’d never heard this story. Shame on me. But wow!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 12:38:36 PM »
What a great story. Perseverance, for sure. Talent, absolutely. Good for them.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Wuthrich

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 02:00:32 PM »
This article makes me both sad and happy!

Let me explain. 

Sad because this happend in my great state that they were not allowed to play certain courses.

But happy because that is what Texan's are all about.  When faced with an issue, we find a way to make it work out for the best, we just don't stand back and complain about it!

As my Dad always told me, don't complain about something unless you have a way to fix it!!

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 06:41:48 PM »
I'm also surprised to have never heard this story having grown up in Texas. Also surprised to see so many Texans on this forum!
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 08:44:32 PM »
I remember hearing this story years ago, kind of the golf version of Hoosiers.

Will Lozier

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:58 PM »
So cool!!! Thanks David!!!!

Peter Gannon

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 09:02:51 PM »
Also frustrated, embarassed, sad having not known of this.  I played High School golf  from '88-1912 in Corpus Christi, Texas and played with many a fine golfer from the Rio Grande Valley, McCallen, Laredo, Brownsville area. 

Our HS practiced at (NLE) Padre Isles CC, which was sandy, patchy, and hella windy.  Back then, with the old balatta ball, the desired trajectory was a stinger that rose to 30-50 ft in the air at the very end.  "Hardscrabble" is apropos!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 09:29:28 PM »
Peter where did you live if yall played Padre Isles? That was my home course on summer and Christmas vacations. I can still smell the old clubhouse that I thought was probably swanky in 1977.

Corpus is a fascinating town that seems fairly happy staying in a permanent 1989 time warp. The lack of golf there has always amazed me. I do have a special place in my heart for Oso and old Pharaohs.

Peter Gannon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 10:51:39 PM »
I lived in Flour Bluff, jealous, I know. 

My Dad was a food and beverage manager at CC Country Club, and then King's Crossing (NLE) - Bill Coore design.  Pharoah CC still sits there overgrown, as does King's Crossing.  Totally agree Corpus is in '89 time capsule.  We moved there in '85, probably at it's "peak".  My Mom still lives there, but I came back to NYC as soon as I graduated UNT in '97. 

Padres Isles was "swanky" in 1977!  Dark wood walls in clubhouse and pro shop from what I remember.  I just remember the WIND and long grasses, and the unGodlike "sticker burrs" that plagued the entire Coastal Bend.  It did teach me a variety of shots though.

Yeah, I don't get it with Corpus and golf.  It just hasn't been able to keep nice things.  My dream is hop over the Oso Creek from where King's Crossing was, and convince the Kings to open King Ranch Golf Club! 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 12:18:57 AM by Peter Gannon »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 12:15:17 AM »
I lived in Flour Bluff, jealous, I know. 

My Dad was a food and beverage manager at CC Country Club, and then King's Crossing (NLE) - Bill Coore design.  Pharoah CC still sits there overgrown, as does King's Crossing.  Totally agree Corpus is in '89 time capsule.  We moved there in '85, probably at it's "peak".  My Mom still lives there, but I came back to NYC as soon as I graduated UNT in '97. 

Padres Isles was "swanky" in 1977!  Dark wood walls in clubhouse and pro show from what I remember.  I just remember the WIND and long grasses, and the unGodlike "sticker burrs" that plagued the entire Coastal Bend.  It did teach me a variety of shots though.

Yeah, I don't get it with Corpus and golf.  It just hasn't been able to keep nice things.  My dream is hop over the Oso Creek from where King's Crossing was, and convince the Kings to open King Ranch Golf Club!

I've always wanted a Flour Bluff drop on this site! CCCC was redone last year by Chet Williams, I need to get down there and see it.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2024, 10:00:59 AM »
Trailer for the movie of this story here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZD8z4efptk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back