News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Bill Coore’s “Little Men”
« on: January 27, 2024, 12:00:50 PM »
I am rereading Mike Keiser’s fine book, The Nature of the Game. On page 232, Bill Coore describes his “method for working on a routing at home or in a hotel room.” He has “templates, cut to scale, a short par three, a long par five, a dogleg par four, and so on.” His wife calls the cutouts “Bill’s little men.” He lays them out on a table or bed so he can see the general layout. “A good routing will form a pattern that has balance and coherence.” He will show the little men routing to his wife, Sue. “One glance at the little men and Sue can tell whether or not a routing is coming together.”

I had not heard this before. I love it. It is brilliantly simple and effective. I know that Ross and MacDonald had plasticine models, but they were built to show clients after the routing had been finalized.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

Re: Bill Coore’s “Little Men”
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 12:38:16 PM »
Tommy, see my thread on Old School Routing Aids.  Closet luddites live!

All the best,

Mike
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 12:42:50 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 03:36:20 PM »
Plenty of architects use this method. I don’t. I just use centrelines with a pencil and tracing paper, preferring to visualise and measure separation between holes…. This and site analysis of course.

But it is manual. There is no programming that can sort out routing for you.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 04:46:14 PM »
Yes, my understanding is this is a common practice, to take 18 holes whether cut outs like BC uses or even on CAD, using spatial tools to line up a routing is pretty standard. But BC does seem to be pretty good at it.  To me another example of it's not the tool, it's the mechanic.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 06:26:48 PM »
I was surprised to see this a year ago from a client in Texas, because I had no idea Bill has always been doing it this way [which is exactly how George Thomas suggested in his 1927 book].  He must have done it for Streamsong, too, because I recognized a couple of his "templates" in Texas from the Streamsong plan, but he was hiding them in his hotel room and not showing me!

I do it the way Ally does, except I often draw my centerlines in pencil right onto a copy of the map, instead of on tracing paper like we were taught.  That's because I'm not expecting to perfect it right away, and I like having my original thoughts still on the map when I'm walking out there and trying to sort out potential changes to an early version of the routing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back