News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Doha Golf Club
« on: January 08, 2024, 12:28:49 PM »
Just finished a weekend playing in Doha, Qatar. Played both Education City Golf Club and Doha Golf Club. ECGC is a Jose Maria Olazabal design which opened in 2019 and they play the European Tour event in Qatar there now.  IMO way over bunkered and tight, not nearly as much fun as Doha Golf Club.

As the title indicates, Doha Golf Club which is a Peter Harradine design from EGD opened in 1997. I was impressed and know that there isn't much if any discussion on middle east golf, much less Qatar. Some very unique aspects I wanted to highlight.

You are greeted by a unique and very culturally typical clubhouse, which was opulent in the day, although could use a redo inside.
Back

Scorecard

• The only course I have played which the par 5's are holes 1,9,10,18. That is very unique and love to hear of any other courses with similar layouts.
  • Peter had a blank slate was able to pick out the ground himself to create a course out of a rocky desert landscape. Here is a nice article : https://worldwide.golf/feature/peter-harradine-doha-golf-club-is-one-of-the-best-courses-in-the-middle-east/
  • Hole 16 is now one of my favorite short par 4's in the world. What a great hole. About 270 from a elevated tee to a semi blind green as there is a huge rock outcropping blocking your views of the green. Big bailout area right of the rock, or you could go left which is what I did and got a nice kick onto the green.
Some more info on hold 16 as to me that was the most memorable and best hold IMHO.

A quote from Peter: 
“I was asked to move the boulder, but I wanted to design the hole using it as a natural hazard,” Added Peter. “It’s not every day you have to try and drive over a boulder. But that isn’t the only rock that comes to play on that hole. To the right of it are some other rocks in the fairway. This is a typical example of a driveable par4 which can bring you a lot of trouble if you get it wrong.”
The prevailing wind is down, so you have just about everyone trying to take a crack at it.  The tee is probably 30 or 40 feet above the fairway, with it climbing about 15 or so feet up to the green from there. The back of the green is surrounded by a rock wall which gives it an amphitheater atmosphere around the green.  A bunker less hole, you can roll one onto the green with a right to left shot as well, or upon approach.

The green is relatively docile, but I equate it to North Berwick 18th which is pretty good company. Both greens a relatively flat and can provide the eagle thrill, even for the every man. You don't need to read a huge break, or navigate a fast downhill putt it is slightly sloping back to front with one ridge running most of the middle. Even the mowed down surround can accommodate putting, which is often selected.

It was a very much appreciated change up hole which used the desert landscape masterfully and once again kudos to Peter for finding it and sticking to his guns.

Some other notes:
  • I typically check provisualizer before playing a new course.  Good balance in doglegs.  Par 4's have three left, five right and two straight.  Par 5's have two left, one right and one straight.
  • Distance variation on par 3's with shortest 154, longest 219; par 4's with shortest 304, longest 486; par 5's with shortest 512, longest 640.
  • There are some trees off the fairway on quite a few holes, but none that affect play and actually help corral errant shots and drop them into findable areas below for none have low branches.
  • As with almost all middle east courses it is publicly accessible and not cheap during winter high season at about $250.
  • There is a huge shared green on hole 9 and 18 in front of the clubhouse and with a large pond in front or each.  Reminds me of the PGA Nicklaus Tournament course finish but much larger green.

Put it on your list if you are ever in the country, for it won't disappoint as I have played many desert courses with this being among the best.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:48:49 PM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David_Tepper

Re: Doha Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 12:48:43 PM »
"The only course I have played which the par 5's are holes 1,9,10,18. That is very unique and love to hear of any other courses with similar layouts."

The Presidio in San Francisco has par-5's on 2, 9, 10 & 18. Almost, but not quite. :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:58:08 PM by David_Tepper »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 12:50:34 PM »
Why is it all rough height between the rock and the green?  Or is that a smaller space than it looks and more of a downslope?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 01:14:43 PM »
Why is it all rough height between the rock and the green?  Or is that a smaller space than it looks and more of a downslope?
With the rock being a kidney shape, it is only about 25 feet maybe from the green edge to the closest point of the rock, which is front left of the green.  To the left of the green, it is a slight left to right downslope, as is the closest point to the rock the same movement. From there moving right, it becomes below the hole. The "rough" around the left and back of the green was not being kept long when I played. I'm sure when they host pro tourneys they grow it, but much of it was puttlable. Another note is that although in the photo and layout it looks like you can go left of the rock to layup, that is all native now so really just a line to fade your driver/3 wood, but not a layup area at all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:18:55 PM by Jeff Schley »
- Steve Prefontaine

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 01:29:12 PM »
Back in 2011 I was deployed to Tikrit for 6mo. We were allowed a 4-day R&R out of country at a facility in Doha called Camp As Sayliyah. There were various programs you could sign up for on a daily basis. Golf wasn’t one of them. I begged some Army Sgt to let me play Doha GC. He relented (also making fun of Air Force officers requiring golf) and ordered me a driver to get me to/from the club. I made an online tee time and off I went the next day.

Now, keep in mind that due to extreme generosity and good timing, the last five courses I played prior to deploying were Hidden Creek, Plainfield, Pine Valley, Friars Head, and Sleepy Hollow. I was living a charmed life in those days.

So here I sit as an architecture nerd, having not played golf in many months while being in the stark desert of Tikrit, slaking my lust for golf at Doha GC. That day, it was like playing at Augusta. I remember almost everything to include the 16th hole above. It broke many rules I had in those days for enjoying golf courses and it didn’t matter one bit. Never forget it.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:19:49 PM »
I've only been to Qatar once and I didn't see Doha GC, but I did see the Education City course, which was almost finished at the time and was then known as the Qatar International Golf Club. I didn't mind it -- I thought it a reasonable piece of design given the circumstances of the project, and I thought the restoration of the old wadi wall was a worthwhile initiative.

But without doubt the most remarkable thing about the project was that it was USGA-specification from wall to wall. I have never heard of anything like that before or since. My article on it is here -- [size=78%]https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/qatar-international-unlimited-ambition[/size]
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 09:37:16 PM »
Back in 2011 I was deployed to Tikrit for 6mo...I was living a charmed life in those days.

Without the stuff in the middle the post doesn't make a lot of sense. 

It does go to show you that perspective and expectations have a huge impact on satisfaction and happiness.

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 10:10:10 PM »
Back in 2011 I was deployed to Tikrit for 6mo...I was living a charmed life in those days.

Without the stuff in the middle the post doesn't make a lot of sense. 

It does go to show you that perspective and expectations have a huge impact on satisfaction and happiness.

Ha! That’s pretty funny.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 10:44:20 PM »
Wyncote GC in Chester County.PA, a Brian Ault course, opened in 1993. Holes 1,9,10,18 are Par5. Wyncote is reminiscent of an inland Scottish links course and features moguls, mounded bunkers, windy rises, and wetlands.  Designed by Brian Ault, this Heath lands-style golf course hosts the finest conditions in the area. A par-72 course, Wyncote has 4 tees and ranges from 5454 yards from the front to 7149 from the back tees.  Renowned and nationally recognized for its course conditions and layout, Wyncote is the premier public golf course in South Eastern, PA. Ault  was a ASGCA Past President. If I remember correctly, there was only one tree on the course.

https://asgca.org/architect/bault/

https://www.wyncote.com/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:41:40 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 12:09:07 AM »
Wyncote GC in Chester County.PA, a Brian Ault course, opened in 1993. Holes 1,9,10,18 are Par5. Wyncote is reminiscent of an inland Scottish links course and features moguls, mounded bunkers, windy rises, and wetlands.  Designed by Brian Ault, this Heath lands-style golf course hosts the finest conditions in the area. A par-72 course, Wyncote has 4 tees and ranges from 5454 yards from the front to 7149 from the back tees.  Renowned and nationally recognized for its course conditions and layout, Wyncote is the premier public golf course in South Eastern, PA. Ault  was a ASGCA Past President. If I remember correctly, there was only one tree on the course.

https://asgca.org/architect/bault/

https://www.wyncote.com/
Steve good memory. It certainly is unique. I haven't heard of Wyncote but will keep it in mind.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back