News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

In Memory, Carl Rogers, 1953-2023
« on: December 13, 2023, 04:42:38 PM »

Carl Rogers of Suffolk, VA passed away on December 11 at age 69. He was an active member of this community and a great friend of mine. He would have turned 70 on December 19.

He is survived by his wife Peggy as they were married for 43 years. He graduated in a degree in architecture from Tulane in 1977.

He played in several GCA tournaments including Dixie Cup at Lookout Mountain and at Streamsong.

I met Carl back in 2007 when I moved to Virginia Beach from California. He introduced me to Riverfront GC and Sleepy Hoie GC. I then convinced him to take some golf trips to see some of the best courses in the country. We traveled together to Beechtree, Ballyhack, Bandon Dunes, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, and Sweetens Cove. We recently traveled in May to Wisconsin where we played Lawsonia, Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, and Lac La Belle. He was also with me when I made my first and only hole in one on no. 7 at Sewells Point in Norfolk back in 2013.

Carl loved to walk and he usually carried a 9 or 10 club set of clubs. He was quiet but knowledgeable about golf course architecture. He did win the Golf Digest armchair architecture contest and traveled to Mexico to meet with Tom Doak on Bay of Dreams, Bahia Los Suenos.

His favorite courses are Dormie Club, Homestead Cascades and Riverfront.

Here are some of his postings:

Best by Tom Doak

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50594.msg1151572.html#msg1151572

Best experiences

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69212.msg1661393.html#msg1661393

How many clubs?

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56069.msg1515387.html#msg1515387

Riverfront, hole no. 4

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46892.msg1041527.html#msg1041527

Here is a photo gallery of Carl from our travels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BNvMojGGU2Q6Ywmz7

Please share your memories of Carl.

Mark Studer

Re: In Memory, Carl Rogers, 1953-2023
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 05:02:29 PM »
Scott- I did not know Carl, but you sure are a nice fellow to post this about your friend.  So sorry for your loss. Peace be with you.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 05:37:05 PM »
Scott- I did not know Carl, but you sure are a nice fellow to post this about your friend.  So sorry for your loss. Peace be with you.

Also my sentiments. Good people have good friends. Carl and Mark are both, it sounds.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 06:05:57 PM »
So sorry to hear about Carl. May he rest in peace.
H.P.S.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »
Condolences to Carl’s family and friends. I didn’t know him but was a fan of his many thoughtful posts over the years.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
Carl made me feel comfortable when I would lose my way. I get it now after reading Scott’s tribute.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 07:36:38 PM »
A wonderful post, Scott.  Condolences to his family and friends.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
I met and played with Carl at the George Cup at Ballyhack. He was a kind and gentle soul. My prayers are with his family. Sixty-nine is young.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »
I met Carl in 2012 when he played in George Cup II.

Carl was a bit of a legend among many in the Golf Club Atlas circle, having won the Golf Digest armchair architect contest, but he was just about the least pretentious person I think I've ever met.  We had to make him talk that recognition and experience (but I do think he enjoyed sharing all the details).  Spending time with Tom Doak was definitely a core memory for him.

He also played in the George Cup in 2013 and 2014.  I think he was the first person I ever heard pick #7 as his favorite hole at Ballyhack.  It's much more subtle than its peers, kind of like Carl was.I remember Carl Rogers as a gentle, thoughtful man who loved to play the game of golf with friends.  I share condolences with all who grieve his passing.

WW
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 04:06:07 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 08:37:13 PM »
GCA Eternal gained an even bigger member than VIL did in Benedict Basque.

I'm sure that Kevin Lynch will fill me in on Carl, as he was at those George Cup events as well.

What a good guy he was, and what good guys you all are.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Scott Weersing

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 07:54:20 AM »

Carl was a bit of a legend among many in the Golf Club Atlas circle, having won the Golf Digest armchair architect contest, but he was just about the least pretentious person I think I've ever met.  We had to make him talk that recognition and experience (but I do think he enjoyed sharing all the details).  Spending time with Tom Doak was definitely a core memory for him.

He also played in the George Cup in 2013 and 2014.  I think he was the first person I ever heard pick #7 as his favorite hole at Ballyhack.  It's much more subtle than its peers, kind of like Carl was.

I remember Carl Rogers as a gentle, thoughtful man who loved to play the game of golf with friends.  I share condolences with all who grieve his passing.
WW

Thanks for sharing your memories. Thanks for organizing the George Cup at Ballyhack!

There is a drawing of an old golfer near the men's locker room at Ballyhack and we would often tease Carl that he was the model for the artist.

Brian Finn

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 08:45:36 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear of Carl's passing.  My prayers go out to his family and close friends.  I was fortunate to spend some time with Carl at a few different gca events, mostly Dixie Cups.  I specifically recall playing together at Streamsong Black in 2017, right after it opened, and then a great dinner discussion at Caledonia the following year.  Carl was very kind and passionate about golf architecture.  It always amazes me when meeting people like Carl...just when you think you are really into gca, you meet someone who is way more into it...that was Carl!  I'm sure he is playing somewhere great today. God bless. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 09:26:55 AM »
That's a beautiful tribute to Carl.   Thanks for sharing.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 09:56:49 AM »
Nice sentiment. Reminds me to ask people to try to play nice around here. You never know what’s going on in someone else’s life.
Love - and Happy Festivus - when it comes!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 03:36:43 PM »

He also played in the George Cup in 2013 and 2014.  I think he was the first person I ever heard pick #7 as his favorite hole at Ballyhack.  It's much more subtle than its peers, kind of like Carl was.

I remember Carl Rogers as a gentle, thoughtful man who loved to play the game of golf with friends.  I share condolences with all who grieve his passing.
WW

I also met Carl that year. I remember Wade asking him to speak about winning the armchair architect contest.

I remember Carl as a very quiet, but very knowledgeable and kind person. The pictures that have been shared clearly show his love for the game and the courses that it is played on.

What a wonderful tribute to him Scott.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »

Yes, condolences to Carl's family.  He was a very nice fellow, and got on well with all of the youngsters on my crew.

He spent several days with us in Mexico on the site for the Bay of Dreams during the early part of construction.  It wasn't really possible to use the design for his hole in every detail, because the terrain we had for a long par-5 didn't fit, but we worked together to plan around that.  And then six months later, a new investor came in and decided they were going to put houses where Carl's hole [and three others] were laid out, and I had to change the routing to accommodate their wishes.

With bad karma like that, it's no wonder the course struggled and closed after only a few months of play, due to the recession of 2008 combined with the drug cartel wars which scared off potential homebuyers in that part of Baja.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 07:58:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing Tom! Carl loved the design, layout and greens at Riverfront GC. We are lucky that it is one of the first Doak courses and still open. Every time I am on 16 and 17th holes at Riverfront, I hear you saying, some day I will get to design courses that do not have electrical towers running through it. The towers are not in play but are visible.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing Tom! Carl loved the design, layout and greens at Riverfront GC. We are lucky that it is one of the first Doak courses and still open. Every time I am on 16 and 17th holes at Riverfront, I hear you saying, some day I will get to design courses that do not have electrical towers running through it. The towers are not in play but are visible.

Scott,

This explains its. Tom must have been channeling a bit of nostalgic longing when designing 16 and 17 at Rock Creek  ;D

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 10:56:15 AM »
Here is a little more about Carl:

Carl Rogers, Jr.

Carl Wilson Rogers, Jr., 69, of Suffolk, VA died on December 11th, 2023 from complications of a severe coronary event in October. He was born in Memphis, TN to the late Ann Milner Rogers and Carl Wilson Rogers on December 19, 1953. He spent most of his childhood and graduated high school in Needham, MA. He attended Tulane University where he received his Bachelor and Master of Architecture. His professional career spanned over 40 years, working for several firms in Memphis and several cities in VA. before culminating with retirement from the Department of the Navy in 2019.Throughout his life Carl was an avid golfer and in adulthood studied the architecture of courses and traveled to many across the US to play. His favorite golfing trips were those made with his 'buddy' Scott, spanning the last 15 years.He is survived by his wife of 43 years, (Peggy) Margaret Toler Rogers, sister Catherine Rogers, cousins Caroline Bazemore, Susan Schwaiger and others within the Caldwell family."
[/size]https://www.sturtevantfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Carl-K-Rogers-Jr?obId=30140181[/size]
[/font]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »
Scott, are you ‘buddy’ Scott? Did I meet Carl at Bandon?  Please don’t tell me I roomed with him.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 03:32:17 PM »
Scott, are you ‘buddy’ Scott? Did I meet Carl at Bandon?  Please don’t tell me I roomed with him.

Yep, I golfing buddy. No, you did not meet Carl as he was not on the 2008 trip. Carl made it to Bandon in 2011.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 04:02:31 AM »
It seems Carl was a good sort. I wish we met.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2024, 11:34:10 AM »
Scott - I whiffed on seeing this last month but am glad it popped back up. My condolences to you, Carl's family, and all who cared about him. My memory is "iffy", but was he at Bandon when we met up several years ago, by chance?

-Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back