News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Morfa Nefyn in Wales: What's the T(ea)?
« on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:04 AM »
I stumbled onto this course on one of the socials, and was very intrigued. Is this the Welsh version of Old Head?

If you've played it, I'd love to know more.

Thanks for your input and photos!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 10:14:45 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff Schley

Re: Morfa Nefyn in Wales: What's the T?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 08:59:00 AM »
Isn't this course in tcg gourmets choice?  Or am I just thinking it could have been?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

Re: Morfa Nefyn in Wales: What's the T? New
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 09:39:14 AM »
Nefyn is a good course in a terrific setting. The old part of the course plays to a headland. These holes are what you want to play. The All Wales 4th is the major standout out hole, but there are a few very good 3s as well. The routing is awkward because of the property, but I would say it’s worth seeing once. There are sneaky opportunities to play the so called old 9 on their own at a reduced fee.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67656.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 04:00:43 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 12:57:13 PM »
There are a couple of exciting holes on the peninsula but also some very strange holes including a par five with a sink hole in the landing zone. It wasn’t a place I’d like a return play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 02:02:13 PM »
There are a couple of exciting holes on the peninsula but also some very strange holes including a par five with a sink hole in the landing zone. It wasn’t a place I’d like a return play.

The sink hole hole is long gone.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:52:05 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »

The sink hole hole is long gone.
T

Ciao

That’s good. It scared me.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 05:18:52 PM »
Great site, but the golf is only really good on a few holes.
There are actually a couple of ok holes on the inland section, but the nine out on the point is worth playing.
I would play only if your passing through.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 11:10:06 AM »
It's not always about the architecture.

A spectacular setting, a mid round  inn right on the beach-100 feet below the cliff top course.
Sean(the patron Saint of golf course discovery) and Ian have it about right objectively... but .....(subjectively) I strongly encourage you to make sure you ARE passing through this slice of heaven in Northwest Wales, where there aren't any 8-10s in pure 18 hole GCA terms, but loads of "10" moments and multi hole stretches on multiple area courses.
I've ALWAYS been able to look past a few or even many so called  "pedestrian" holes in order to expereience unique,  untravelled places with just enough highlights to form lasting memories,of not only GCA, but landscape and culture.

Remote Wales is kind've like the land time forgot.(so far)
And that's a great thing for us.

Probably a bit OT,but I'm far more enamored with an unspoiled alleged GCA "5-6" dotted with "10" moments, than I am in sharing a "10" with the busses and logoed headcover crowd.

To this day I remember every shot I hit at Durness, Reay, Nefyn ,Cruit and Gweedore, all GCA "6's" littered with "10" plus moments.

Yet struggle to remember a shot I hit at Muirfield or other GCA darlings.
(Perhaps it was the kummel)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »

A spectacular setting, a mid round  inn right on the beach-100 feet below the cliff top course.
Sean(the patron Saint of golf course discovery) and Ian have it about right objectively... but .....(subjectively) I strongly encourage you to make sure you ARE passing through this slice of heaven in Northwest Wales, where there aren't any 8-10s in pure 18 hole GCA terms, but loads of "10" moments and multi hole stretches on multiple area courses.
I've ALWAYS been able to look past a few or even many so called  "pedestrian" holes in order to expereience unique,  untravelled places with just enough highlights to form lasting memories,of not only GCA, but landscape and culture.

Probably a bit OT,but I'm far more enamored with an unspoiled alleged GCA "5-6" dotted with "10" moments, than I am in sharing a "10" with the busses and logoed headcover crowd.

To this day I remember every shot I hit at Durness, Reay, Nefyn ,Cruit and Gweedore, all GCA "6's" littered with "10" plus moments.

This is a very appealing vision.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 11:50:55 AM »

This post really resonates with me, both specifically regarding Nefyn and in general.  Since seeing a Golf Mates video from Nefyn a couple of years ago, I have had it on a list of places I want to visit.  I seek out many courses based on notable architecture, but have had so many great memories in recent years at smaller, less known courses that were just good (not great), particularly on visits to the UK.  I'm currently building an itinerary for a Scotland trip that consists mostly of what some might consider "mid to lower tier" links. 

Of course, if I am being honest, it's taken some time for me to get to this point.  Not so long ago, I would have scoffed at such a modest itinerary, but I've learned and evolved, both from reading here and venturing away from the top 100, 200, xxx lists.  In addition to heavy use of the search function here (an adventure in itself), I have found the county listings on top 100 golf courses site (their site goes way deeper than its title) to be very helpful in finding courses to fill out trips to specific regions.  I've really enjoyed spending a week + in one town and just playing everything within a reasonable radius. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 12:54:05 PM »

Jeff, I have played a bunch (100?) of 5&6s in GB&I and am always surprised by the quality of golf. The sleeper in Wales might be Bull Bay. Mork Rowlinson brought me there years ago. It is Folwer at his creative best.
St. John of the Cross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 03:20:43 PM »
We are fortunate to have all of the responders to this thread, but we are especially fortunate to have Jeff Warne (pronounced Warren, if youse guise didn't know.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Fisher

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 04:32:13 PM »
Nefyn is not exactly a ‘hidden gem’ inasmuch as it often appeared on the outer reaches of various Top 100 listings in the UK up to a decade or so again. In recent years restricted access to the headland nine and associated safety issues have compromised its appeal a bit, but it remains a gorgeous place to hit golf shots, and is a quintessential British ‘holiday course’, especially in summer. Morfa Nefyn is, incidentally, where former British PM Clement Attlee used to holiday (although cricket, and not golf, was Attlee’s thing).

If you are heading from Conwy down to Harlech and Aberdovey, then Nefyn is a good stopoff, and so is Porthmadog (which this year hired the number two greenkeeper from Harlech, so its poor conditioning is beginning to improve). As with Nefyn, Portmadog has a nine you really want to play, and some much more pedestrian holes (and Sean has profiled both for GCA). Both host ‘minor’ Welsh championship events from time to time. Neither will break the bank, and, to say it yet again, Wales in general now offers the best green fee value of anywhere in the UK and Ireland.

Sean_A

Re: Morfa Nefyn in Wales: What's the T? New
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 06:53:19 PM »
Porthmadog is a more extreme 9 hole dichotomy than Nefyn. At least the newer Nefyn holes are decent even if a bit uninspired for the most part. I can’t say the same for Porthmadog’s totally forgettable newer front nine. I don’t see the point, but I am not sure 9 hole rates are offered.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:49:46 AM by Sean_A »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 01:04:19 AM »
It’s tea, as in, “What’s the tea?”

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 02:10:38 AM »
What about Pwllheli?

Just last week, I was looking at a trip for my group comprising Nefyn, Porthmadog, Pwllheli and Harlech.

Also, what’s the best hotel / location to stay in the middle of all those. They like decent accommodation (not outrageous expense e.g. Portmeirion) and don’t like travelling more than 30 minutes each way for golf.

If Pwllheli doesn’t work, I could do Conwy on the day of arrival as they travel in. More or less on the way for most.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:15:19 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 05:05:58 AM »
Stayed in Criccieth a few times. Attractive small town. Not much there except a cool split beach, castle ruin and a few pubs. But it’s a central location.

Ciao

Richard Fisher

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 07:25:03 AM »
Ally
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71958.msg1730294.html#msg1730294
was my report on a similar trip this spring, with a warm recommendation for the Royal Sportsman in Porthmadog as an excellent and good-value golfers' base in the area.
We should have played at Pwllheli. rather than Abersoch, and local report suggests that it is in much better shape
But overall I would do Conwy (or North Wales), Nefyn, Pwllheli or Porthmadog, and then Harlech, depending upon availability (and Conwy certainly gets very busy)
Hope this helps and do let me know when you are thinking of going to RStD (I demit as Pres this coming spring)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 10:14:32 AM »
It’s tea, as in, “What’s the tea?”

Thank you. I'll make that adjustment.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back