News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Caddy Payment
« on: November 20, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »
Quick question.  If someone is hosting you at a club, that is a caddy-only course, do you usually pay for his/her caddy as well as your own?

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Caddy Payment
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 05:38:40 PM »
Not if the host is a friend, but if the host is some benevolent stranger (hosting you as a favor) then yes, that would be a good idea (to offer, at least).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Chris Hughes

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 12:14:57 AM »
Quick question.  If someone is hosting you at a club, that is a caddy-only course, do you usually pay for his/her caddy as well as your own?

Yes.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 12:23:27 AM »
Not if the host is a friend, but if the host is some benevolent stranger (hosting you as a favor) then yes, that would be a good idea (to offer, at least).

I second Kevin's comments.  If I have a friend who invites me out to his club and he plays with a caddy all the time I dont feel the need (unless for some reason he has gone out of his way to play on a day that he would not otherwise).  But definitely if a stranger hosts you out of the goodness of their heart because they know you want to play the course than at least the offer to pay is appropriate.  I find about a 50-75% likelihood that they will decline the offer anyway.  Good luck.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Chris Hughes

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:29:04 AM »
I'm unfamiliar with the "stranger" option for accessing top private clubs with caddy programs -- how does this work?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:32:59 AM by Chris Hughes »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 05:17:10 AM »
If the member is a good friend, I don't usually pay for his caddie. If he has gone out of his way to get me on a particular course and I am playing with a member friend of his, I will offer to pay his caddie. It is always appreciated but seldom accepted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 07:00:08 AM »
   I always pay for a friend’s caddy, and he always pays for my green fee. Even when a stranger lets me pay for my green fee, I offer to pay for his caddy. I pretty much insist.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:04:37 AM by Jim_Coleman »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 08:09:11 AM »
I'm unfamiliar with the "stranger" option for accessing top private clubs with caddy programs -- how does this work?

Thousands Green and similar outfits pair strangers together at great courses.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »
A friend of 50+ years hosts me at his "top 100" course in the NYC suburbs. I pay for my caddy if we each have our own, or we split it 50-50 if the caddy carries both bags. He pays the guest fee, although I have offered to pay that.

A friend of a friend has hosted me at another similar NYC area club. He would not accept any payment. He also hosted me for drinks at the club. I saw which Bourbon he ordered and sent him two bottles of same to thank him. For hosts who are unwilling to accept payment, I always send something. For awhile I gave them Vol 1 of the confidential guide signed by TD, until I ran out of them.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
   I always pay for a friend’s caddy, and he always pays for my green fee. Even when a stranger lets me pay for my green fee, I offer to pay for his caddy. I pretty much insist.

100%

+1

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 01:48:27 PM »
Re: replies that say you pay your friend's caddie during a "friendly" guest round.

What kind of guy would accept that?   On guest rounds, in my experience, you are on scholarship for the golf, but pay your caddie...with guidelines given for how much to pay.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:50:35 PM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bruce Katona

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 02:08:03 PM »
I typically paid the caddie fee for my host and he; he covered my guest fee, lunch/a drink afterward as most private clubs won't accept cash and just charge what is consumed to the members account.

As a "Thank You For The Day" I also typically send my host a bottle of their favorite wine or spirits.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
What’s fun is when you need to pay the member on the down low because other people have been selling tee times for profit. I would have loved prohibition.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 03:07:54 PM »
What’s fun is when you need to pay the member on the down low because other people have been selling tee times for profit. I would have loved prohibition.
Did run across someone trying to charge me over and above to play a course.  They were getting theirs on top of what the caddy master was getting as well.  Guess its the cost of doing business but I wouldn't ever presume to do it myself.  Lucky enough to have a friend at a top10.  He will never let me pay my greens fee so I always pay for his caddy.  Like others have said, it would depend on situation and my relationship with him/her.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 08:02:17 PM »
   I have been included in an “all inclusive” annual invitation to a top 10 course. The host clearly makes money on the group. I know what the deal is and pay the bill, but I find it annoying. I’ve gone twice in the last 10 years.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 01:51:46 PM »
As an overseas guest in the US I’ve been hosted at many clubs by members I do not know. I now always discuss the cost in advance to make it clear there’s no expectation of a free visit. As it’s often impossible to pay for anything, settling the caddies fee and giving a gift is the only way to say thank you.

The only time a fixer ever made a fee was at a top 2 course, that was for him to take the absent host “out to dinner”.
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

Re: Caddy Payment New
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 02:05:46 PM »
I'd say it greatly depends upon circumstances...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 03:24:24 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back