News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

EGD at Elie
« on: November 15, 2023, 01:16:01 PM »
I saw on Facebook earlier today that European Golf Design has just started a project at Elie, focused on tees and bunkers. CJW Golf, Conor Walsh's company, is doing construction, and Conor tells me that Ross McMurray is in charge.

A bit of a surprise -- EGD don't do a lot of existing course work, and I know they're crazily busy at the moment.

Any insight, Mark Pearce?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 07:56:16 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: EGD at Elie
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 03:08:10 PM »
Ross is also at Portstewart doing a similar type job. So that’s two.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 07:08:57 AM »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
I just wonder why a place like Elie would ever think they needed architectural help.  But, I see it's mostly about rebuilding their bunkers, and unfortunately we have managed to convince almost everyone that you need an architect to do that.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:43:07 AM »
I just wonder why a place like Elie would ever think they needed architectural help.  But, I see it's mostly about rebuilding their bunkers, and unfortunately we have managed to convince almost everyone that you need an architect to do that.

I understand that. But _I_ wonder why it is worth EGD's while to rebuild the bunkers somewhere like Elie. It's hardly a big money job.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 10:21:05 AM »

I understand that. But _I_ wonder why it is worth EGD's while to rebuild the bunkers somewhere like Elie. It's hardly a big money job.

They might just really like the place and want to hang out there for a bit.

Or, they might be looking down the road at the future of building new courses in Europe, and thinking they'd better establish themselves in the renovation business sooner instead of later.  They would probably have their hands on the pulse of new development in Europe better than most firms.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 10:50:26 AM »
Its a bit more parochial.

Ross has strong family connections with Elie and the golf club.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 04:15:46 PM »
Sometimes the only way alleviate squabbles of the “want to do something” vrs “don’t want to do something” vrs “don’t have confidence in the staff” variety amongst the members is by hiring an architect. Bit like why consultants in business are sometimes hired.
Not saying this is the situation in this case but it’s a not unknown position for a club or an organisation to find itself in.
Atb

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 02:08:55 AM »

Hi Robin

From P Quinn on social media - Not only you are working in Guernsey (would be a good thread on designing short 18 course and making it fun IMO) aren't you also working at the Belfry doing a new practice area behind the driving range.

Also DS is working at the Drift making improvements to the course likewise for GJ at Foxhills which was recently in GCA magazine.

It seems that EGD are spreading their wings a bit more to work on smaller areas of the golf club/course and course improvement/reconfigurations.

Glad to know that the proper golf course architects are getting more exposure rather than well known pros :)

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 02:12:19 AM by Ben Stephens »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 12:10:05 PM »
As Robin says, Ross has a strong connection to the village.

There was a need to change the 4th for safety reasons (cars on the road were getting hit by tee shots).  That has already been done.  Effectively the fairway has moved ten yards right (and the small fairway bunker on the right has been removed).  It's a shame that the ridge is now on the left edge of the fairway, rather than being a feature of the tee shot but the change isn't that noticeable. 

The rest is relatively minor bunker work (a few are being moved).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 10:30:34 AM »

Hi Robin

From P Quinn on social media - Not only you are working in Guernsey (would be a good thread on designing short 18 course and making it fun IMO) aren't you also working at the Belfry doing a new practice area behind the driving range.

Also DS is working at the Drift making improvements to the course likewise for GJ at Foxhills which was recently in GCA magazine.

It seems that EGD are spreading their wings a bit more to work on smaller areas of the golf club/course and course improvement/reconfigurations.

Glad to know that the proper golf course architects are getting more exposure rather than well known pros :)

Cheers
Ben

Hi Ben

You are correct in all of the above. We've had a few smaller jobs to keep us busy recently. Also a bit of a push to get them out on social media, so word is getting out a bit more.

Guernsey is a small course, but a big project. We'll be finished by this time next year and open in 2025.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back