News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Purpose, not Rank, at a Resort
« on: November 16, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »
A solid GCA guy recently asked on Instagram about ranking courses at Bandon. It occurred to me that a better use of our time and ink is to consider what purpose each course serves. This can be applied (and probably should be applied) to all resorts and multi-course (think Bethpage) sites. Here's what I would say about those two properties.
Bandon Dunes
Dunes--Terrific first course for the day. A visit to a working architect's first course.
PacDunes-Ditto. A visit to a candidate for most nuanced, non-traditional amalgamation of holes
Trails-Ditto. A visit to the most challenging topography on property to work with.
Mac-Ditto. A visit to an interpretive museum piece of a course, built in modern times.
Sheep-Terrific second course (or third) for those who like to play 36/54 holes in a day. (Haven't played)
Preserve-Terrific way to wind down the day. Candidate for first course of the day, if you want a warm up beyond the range.
Shorty's-Jury Still out (haven't played)

Bethpage
Black-Opportunity to walk in the footsteps of giants, and to get the best walking workout of your life. Also, great golf.
Red-No giant footsteps here, but a great walk, with the best opening and closing holes on property.
Blue-A course that will ask you to consider angles, more than any other on the property.
Green-A course that began life outside the Bethpage family, but was adopted and adapted in, with hardly a hiccough.
Yellow-A great walk for beginners and those who want a second 18. Offers many of the features of the other layouts, just not as demanding.

My intent with this thread is for you to expand on what I say, or posit your own takes on Bandon Dunes and Bethpage; or to invoke another, multi-course property, and consider it with purpose, rather than ranking.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Cohn

Re: Purpose, not Rank, at a Resort
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »
I'll have a go with an obvious one.

Spanish Bay: A good first day course, especially if you can get done around sunset with the bagpiper playing as you finish before retiring for some food and drink by the fire pits.

The Hay: If you arrive in late in the day, you could use this and Hay's place for the same purpose as above. Otherwise, a great way to spend the afternoon following a morning round.

Spyglass: You'll want to have your game ready, so maybe not your first game of the trip, especially if you're rusty.

Poppy Hills: Fits in anywhere, although maybe not the day after Pebble.

Pebble Beach: Obviously, plan your perfect day around this one.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 11:57:10 PM »

Spanish Bay: A good first day course, especially if you can get done around sunset with the bagpiper playing as you finish before retiring for some food and drink by the fire pits.

The Hay: If you arrive in late in the day, you could use this and Hay's place for the same purpose as above. Otherwise, a great way to spend the afternoon following a morning round.

Spyglass: You'll want to have your game ready, so maybe not your first game of the trip, especially if you're rusty.

Matt I get poppy is inside 17 mile drive, but del Monte is the other resort course.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 01:06:15 AM »

Matt I get poppy is inside 17 mile drive, but del Monte is the other resort course.

Well aware.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 06:19:32 AM »
Matt:

You might also have included Pacific Grove as the perfect warm-up for the Pebble Beach courses, at a fraction of the price.

Ronald:

You may be alright in your rundown of the Bandon courses, but I don't think any of them except the Preserve were built with the intention you describe.  They're all supposed to be stars and a favorite of some subset of visitors.  There are many other resorts [Pinehurst, Gleneagles] where different courses serve different roles, but Bandon is not one of them.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »
   I’ll try with Casa de Campo.

Links - Good first day experience. Will exceed minimal expectations if played first; expectations would probably be higher if it were in Florida.
   Dye Fore - May meet but not exceed expectations. Pete Dye’s last 18 hole creation here. (He added 2 separate 9’s later.) Big course with wide fairways and dramatic views. Pete probably had fun building it.
   Teeth of the Dog - Every bit the equal of Pebble Beach. You will remember pretty much all the holes after 2 plays. Not sure I can say that about the Bandon courses, maybe because there’s so many of them.
   La Romana Country Club - Maybe the opposite of Teeth. Won’t blow you away at first blush, but you will recognize it as a course you would enjoy every day. Serves that purpose as a private club in a resort.

Not sure I’m answering the question as posed. If not, I apologize.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 10:49:45 AM by Jim_Coleman »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 07:19:03 PM »

Ronald:

You may be alright in your rundown of the Bandon courses, but I don't think any of them except the Preserve were built with the intention you describe.  They're all supposed to be stars and a favorite of some subset of visitors.  There are many other resorts [Pinehurst, Gleneagles] where different courses serve different roles, but Bandon is not one of them.

Thank you for bringing to light, something that I should have mentioned in my initial post. "Purpose" in the eyes and needs of the traveler/consumer/retail golfer, not of the architects, nor builders, nor owner.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back