News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lyne Morrison

Half-way Houses
« on: November 07, 2023, 09:40:38 PM »

GCA community, I'm searching for public golf courses that offer halfway houses for golfers to enjoy a comfortable mid-game break.

While I found a decades-old discussion thread, the focus is primarily on private clubs. I am happy to be directed toward more recent comments if this is available.

Any suggestions or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Lyne

Ben Sims

Re: Half-way Houses
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 10:00:39 PM »
Lyne,

My answer will depend on how you define public. I can’t imagine a better mid-round hang than the Bothy at Nairn GC. It’s a private club, but offers public access like many private clubs in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 10:36:05 PM by Ben Sims »

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 10:25:41 PM »
That fits well Ben.

Happy with any examples.

Thank you.

DFarron

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:56:57 PM »
The Course at Wente Vineyards in Livermore CA is pretty good…they have great food (actually grill the hot dog bun), quick service and reasonable prices.

Nothing sexy just good solid food when you need it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 04:33:26 AM »
It might not be the most attractive approach but I’ve seen a small size second/thirdhand caravan used in such a role. A cheap and cheerful approach that could also be temporary. Sunshade on poles outside with chairs underneath. Has the advantage of being towable so can be taken back to the maintenance compound for secure storage when not in use.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 04:46:19 AM »
Sunningdale's sausage sandwich at the halfway house is just terrific.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 05:46:19 AM »

In what possible world is Sunningdale, for 120 years the most prestigious private club in the UK, a public course?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 06:38:55 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:37 AM »

In what possible world is Sunningdale, for 120 years the most prestigious private club in the UK, a public course?
In the same way that Nairn is a public course.  It isn't but, by US standards, it is public access, in that members of the public can get a mortgage to pay for a tee time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 07:12:38 AM »

That is a good question. I guess I think of most of the GB&I clubs as semi-private. Getting a tee time isn't so difficult.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 08:48:00 AM »

That is a good question. I guess I think of most of the GB&I clubs as semi-private. Getting a tee time isn't so difficult.

'Semi-private' is an American term that has no meaning in UK golf. Sunningdale is a private club, owned by its members. Like most UK private clubs, it generously allows non-members to play its course (at a price: the 2024 cost for a 36 hole day with a round on the Old and New courses is £600, and at times that suit the club -- you can't expect to rock up and play). But that doesn't change the nature or ownership of the club.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »

'Semi-private' is an American term that has no meaning in UK golf. Sunningdale is a private club, owned by its members. Like most UK private clubs, it generously allows non-members to play its course (at a price: the 2024 cost for a 36 hole day with a round on the Old and New courses is £600, and at times that suit the club -- you can't expect to rock up and play). But that doesn't change the nature or ownership of the club.
Yeah I wouldn't use Sunningdale anymore than I'd use HCEG.  Yes you can get a tee time, but they are private clubs with limited visitor tee times at a huge premium.  I can't think of many memorable halfway houses on public courses. Most circle back to the clubhouse.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 10:13:29 AM »
Gleneagles and Turnberry come to mind. TOC’s has improved over the years.
Lots of halfway ‘kiosks’ in Scotland too!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 10:44:38 AM »
It is not an architectural marvel, but the refreshment house at Cog Hill has plenty of space and serves one of the best hot dogs in the greater Chicago region. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 11:00:41 AM »
Given that most publics in the US have returning 9s....you effectively have a halfway house where you can both eat a dog and give ur dogs a break.  Indian Canyon has wonderful patio tables that overlooks the course, done that a few times.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 12:09:10 PM »

Yeah I wouldn't use Sunningdale anymore than I'd use HCEG.  Yes you can get a tee time, but they are private clubs with limited visitor tee times at a huge premium.  I can't think of many memorable halfway houses on public courses. Most circle back to the clubhouse.

Fascinating. I must have touched a nerve. Over the years, I have played 180 courses in GB&I and have been a member at two private clubs, so I am well aware of their system.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:18:37 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Dan McCallum

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 01:58:13 PM »
Aiken Golf Club's halfway house is excellent.  Must try the baked goods

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 04:20:39 PM »
Old Mac’s is the best location; Gleneagles is the only I have seen where non-golfers come to eat and drink; Streamsong has the most interesting food options.

Ira

Ben Sims

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
Aiken Golf Club's halfway house is excellent.  Must try the baked goods

That’s a good one too. There’s a certain beauty to being able to touch the “halfway house” more than once. Aiken is a good choice in that regard.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 05:58:30 PM »
I would certainly second Streamsong.

If I am not mistaken, either Caledonia or True Blue have a little place where they serve chowder - Don't remember which one, but I remember it being good.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 06:01:43 PM »

Thank you, everyone. It seems reasonable to suggest that a dedicated halfway house is more commonly found on private or premium public golf courses.

Could we chat more about the culture and expectations that align with this segment of the game?

Does, or should, a higher-cost golf model correlate with a more immersive golf experience? Is it reasonable for the golfer to assume a leisurely pace of play or an optional extended break between the front and back nines?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Lyne

Keith Phillips

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 06:42:41 PM »

Fascinating. I must have touched a nerve. Over the years, I have played 180 courses in GB&I and have been a member at two private clubs, so I am well aware of their system.

I'm with you, Tommy.  I've played Sunningdale, The Berkshire, Swinley Forest and Worplesdon with a few days notice on a quick phone call...that qualifies as 'semi-private' by my American definition.  I've also been a member of two clubs over there and probably played 40+ courses...a lot of work to catch up to you!  I'd note you also can't 'rock up' to Bethpage or Pebble and expect to go right off.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2023, 06:54:15 PM »

Thank you, everyone. It seems reasonable to suggest that a dedicated halfway house is more commonly found on private or premium public golf courses.

Could we chat more about the culture and expectations that align with this segment of the game?

Does, or should, a higher-cost golf model correlate with a more immersive golf experience? Is it reasonable for the golfer to assume a leisurely pace of play or an optional extended break between the front and back nines?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Lyne

Absolutely not. A leisurely pace of play has nothing to do with a good halfway house. We can have a leisurely meal after the round.

Ira

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 07:38:44 PM »
Lyne,

I’ve never really considered a halfway house or any other mid round break as “immersive.”  Well, not until Nairn. And that experience is immersive for wholly different reasons than a candy bar and a finger of Tomatan. To me it just seems smart to have the option for energy and hydration while walking 5-7 miles and playing golf.

As far as pace, I can’t remember a halfway house ever having a noticeable negative affect. A four plus hour round is going to be slow whether you stop for 5 minutes or not. And a three hour round is going to zip by pleasantly even with a short stop.

The part of your question that seems anathema to me is the “extended” part.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 10:18:22 PM »
Hard to be immersive in 5 minutes.

Halfway houses are fine if there is a culture which permits groups to skip it. Which means groups that stop should offer the group behind to play through. That’s how it was when I grew up.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:43:14 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2023, 10:55:45 PM »
One that stood out was the halfway house at Palo Alto Muni. It was a Hofbrau house with carved Roast Beef, Turkey and Pastrami sandwiches. No longer there but visiting there was worthwhile.
Also Mather Muni outside Sacto, CA would serve breakfast all day and had a great
Cheese Steak Omlet and egg salad sandwiches. Any place that has an active BBQ is great. Tri-tip, Sausages, and burgers are always better fresh off a BBQ.  ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back